Sify says:

"Ilayaraja humiliates ONV Kurup!"

http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14920950

thanks,

Krishnan

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244
    From the speech, it looks like IR got frustrated that ONV could not write lyrics (despite giving multiple tunes) and also that finally he had to compromise and compose music for his lyrics. Looks like it bothered him a lot and he had to let it out.

thanks,

Krishnan
    No he is rather expressing that although the lyrics are significant they convey a more upbeat manner of a king getting his land back while thalaivar felt that it should be expressing sadness of a king leaving his land. Otherwise no disappointment seen in the speech neither is there any insulting. In fact it looked like thalaivar was trying to say how he managed to create a tune around the lyrics to make it sound like a king feeling sad yet upbeat at the same time.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let someone who has not heard the song recite the lyrics. Ask him what he feels about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he says that it feels like a poem in which people are marching.(kind of 'manidhaa manidhaa ini un')
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "adhiushas" stands tall mainly due to ONV's outstanding lyrics which even outshines Raja's pedestrian tune . Looks like Raja is clearly not comfortable in setting tunes to pre written lyrics which is a good challenge for music composers. May be he could still learn a lesson or two from MSV in this regard . No wonder he is still stuck with "salippu" nursery rhymes like sandhams .
    sample these :
    "unnai patri sonnaal
    udhai kidaikkum
    ennai patri sonnaal
    veNNai kidaikkum
    (or)
    un vaazhve oru kadhai aagalaam
    un kadhaiye oru vaazhvu aagalaam
    un vaazhve oru kadhai aagaamalum polam
    un kadhaiye oru vaazhva aagaamalum polam
    ippidi kooda lyrics ezhudhallam
    raasaappu paatille enna venaalum varalaam

Till now MFM seemed to offer some "soLa pori" to starved Raja fans. Ippo adhulayum maNNaa?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, thanks to Flifo for uploading the speech. Second, can we get back to the stone age please so that we can take out a club and hit these press fellows without feeling guilty!!!

I watched the video of the speech and I am thrilled. For it is not always that an artists like Raja talks about his aesthetics. We have evidence once in a while about what he thinks and how he thinks and any occasion which gives us a glimpse of the way his mind works is always welcome.

Coming to the speech itself, the whole tone, which the papers / web sites can never convey or don't want to convey, is an ordinary one. He was relating an incident in an ordinary fashion. His sense of what the words should convey at that point in time of the story is clearly stated. He also clearly understands what ONV is trying to convey. He says that he feels the situation needs to convey a bit of sadness because the king has lost his land. ONV wants to convey that an uprising is in the offing. It is a simple matter of different perceptions of two different artists. This is something welcome because it allows us to debate cinema as well.

One important thing we need to note here is that Raja is fully talking in the context of the movie and why he felt the lyrics did not suit the situation as he understood it. Raja is not really talking about whether he was better or ONV was better but only about whether the song suited the situation or not. What more can you expect from an artist who understands cinema like no one else? Check out what he says about him suggesting silence during Mamooty's entry, the director wanting music and finally the silence prevailing.

Raja says clearly that he fought with Hariharan saying that ONV has composed so many songs for his tunes and why was it not happening now? Raja infact sings the tune as a normal meter and you can clearly realize how much Raja has deliberately changed it not to show the meter.

I may be selfish but I am happy to see some thinking of Raja being revealed. I think the controversy is totally unnecessary. There were two artists who had different ideas on what the scene needed and artistic differences are something which happen all the while. Let us leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    thumburu,

With due respects to you, I think you sometimes occupy a very high pedestal and pass comments as if they are the absolute final words about anything. We can disagree on whether the tune was good or the lyrics were better but to call 'adiushas' as a pedestrian tune is sheer arrogance. (I personally do not think the lyrics of 'adiushas' are outstanding to the extent that the tune becomes pedestrian. I don't want to get into a lyrics vs tune debate here since I have equal respect for ONV and Raja.)

In his speech Raja clearly explains how he had to change the meter of the song to get the emotion he wanted. I would advice you to please watch the video of Raja's speech to have a clearer understanding of what he wanted to convey.

My humble request again. Please do not get someone like MSV into the discussion. The last discussion I want is Raja vs MSV type of discussion. Let us leave that great man alone. We have enough other fights to participate in

I don't think anyone has any arguments about the lyrics you quoted. Everyone, including me, have bashed this up enough times.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh65, she is just one of those fans who have too high expectations for thalaivar where they forget the situation the song is composed for and the actual emotion that is being conveyed. I think thalaivar has not only scored for lyrics but managed to get both emotions on track, a "rising to the war" theme and the sadness of losing one's homeland. Both expressed in interludes and orchestration

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back to paa.. another positive and a balanced review

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Paa_Album-179726-1.html

Finally – With Ilayaraja, melody can be taken for granted. The cynics and ‘Pritam’ loving junta wont like this album even a wee bit, but then, if Pritam (and the likes) can survive, Ilaraja has to be given a million acre Villa to live and rule the world of music. The tunes are simple with a bit of retro-feel. I rate this 4 out of 5 because this one is an OST and not a music album, and with a story-line as peculiar as of ‘Paa’, I am sure the songs will be an integral part of the movie and wont act as a disconnect (how else can you explain that the average length of the songs is not even 3 minutes!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It is quite as to how almost all the web based reviews want to try and anticipate what the people want and accordingly review the music Very funny. If you are a critic, you must either let people know whether you liked it or not, or you can point out some nuances about the song and tell why it is good or not good. Instead, what we get is, 'The young crowd will like it'. 'the so and so crowd may not like it' and so and so forth. It is almost like everyone wants a 'fast food' review!! I am just not talking about 'Paa' review but most reviews in general.

Page 5 of 250 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast