Page 49 of 250 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    <shakes head and slowly hums>

Jinjinakku janakku
    naan sollithaaren kanakku
    </shakes head and slwly hums>
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ananth222's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    listen to this piece by Morricone:

its the most beautiful "blabbering" in music I've heard (other than in IR songs). I think both IR and Morricone are geniuses who know what they are doing.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok all - no more ramblings on my part! truce!

its all out of my sincere genuine desire IR's music shd find the right respectful place in history that i keep lamenting

hopefully in another 10 days, i will have some good news - until then - tata!

Post Thanks / Like
    Year 2009 Seems to the best in this decade for IR, hope all will agree, Enna mathiri variety of Songs Kuduthu Irukaar. From Naan Kadavul to Suryakanthi. Try Listening all the albums in a row and Comment them in few lines for each album. Apuram pesunga Sound, Chorus, Rhythms etc. pathi ellam.
    Isai ellaigal kadanthathu engum nirainthathu

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123
    Quote Originally Posted by kiru
    I dont want to contest irir's point. But here are my observations on this subject. For IR who has grown up with folk and tribal music and has used them effectively to enthral an audience of 50million people for more than 30 years ..phrases like those mentioned do not have a negative connotation. Actually, I feel it is great he does not have this notion. Otherwise, it will be alienating a big section of our population which still has not tasted the fruits of globalization and is toiling in the hard sun, making a living farming dependent on seasonal rain (vaanam paartha boomi) and/or working in factories. These people have not attuned themselves to the latest hip-hop beats or R&B and are still happy with tha na na type of singing (mind you carnatic music was sung in our land using tha na before sa re ga ma pa da ni came in) and our rhythm patterns.

That said, I do want to see IR known internationally and hope many of IRIR's efforts bear fruit. I think if he works with people like Balki we will have song which are more tuned to western sensibilities (even in PAA mudi mudi is the pick in this aspect).
    kiru - this is getting nowhere! do you mean to say that the toiling-in-the-sun crowd cannot appreciate a melody without 'dang dings' and 'cham cham chamakku chams' ?? didnt the same crowd love/enjoy a 'tharai mel pirakka vaithhaan' from KV Mahadevan or a "thirudaadhey paappa thirudaadhey". or a "budhhan gandhi yesu pirandhadhu bhoomiyil yedharkaaga ?" kind of songs which did not have such nonsense ??

isnt such a claim doing injustice to their appreciative ears and actually sound condescending/patronising ? salilda did not resort to such stuff in his evergreen 'madhumathi' which had lots of tribal/folk based songs !

IMO, the problem lies elsewhere - (1) IR doing tons of movies at a time, and often perhaps not having time for a complete song, and hence such 'phrases' probably came in haste - best example, the obnoxious 'pee peee pibbeeepee pee pee' chorus in the second interlude of the delightful 'vaa vaa manjal malare' from rajathi raaja! as i said, these things at the peak of his career cud be excused (though i dont see why coz, as a professional, he shd have given equal importance to each and every film he was doing, and gotten ridden of such phrases replacing them with some other stuff) - so that possibly explains the state in the 1980s; (2) but now, its an inexplicable sense of 'this is enough for you' to a 'yes boss, yes boss' nodding filmmaker - wud he have the guts to come up with such stuff with someone like kamal ? the 'bey bey peppey' wail in 'kombula poova sutthi' was very brief and strongly context-based and hence kamal probably allowed it

there is only a certain limit beyond which one cant explain the 'context-based' choice of crap IR often employs in his music even after 880 films! am glad that he didnt mess PAA with such stuff coz of the canvas and the wider reach he must have envisaged
    ROFL on the pee...pee thing !!!

That "pee pee..." is such a sick thing in that song, that I hated that song just for that...I was embarrassed to play it in front of my mallu-land relatives (I used to stop the cassette, and play Side-B )
    shankar posts...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123
    Quote Originally Posted by kiru
    I dont want to contest irir's point. But here are my observations on this subject. For IR who has grown up with folk and tribal music and has used them effectively to enthral an audience of 50million people for more than 30 years ..phrases like those mentioned do not have a negative connotation. Actually, I feel it is great he does not have this notion. Otherwise, it will be alienating a big section of our population which still has not tasted the fruits of globalization and is toiling in the hard sun, making a living farming dependent on seasonal rain (vaanam paartha boomi) and/or working in factories. These people have not attuned themselves to the latest hip-hop beats or R&B and are still happy with tha na na type of singing (mind you carnatic music was sung in our land using tha na before sa re ga ma pa da ni came in) and our rhythm patterns.

That said, I do want to see IR known internationally and hope many of IRIR's efforts bear fruit. I think if he works with people like Balki we will have song which are more tuned to western sensibilities (even in PAA mudi mudi is the pick in this aspect).
    kiru - this is getting nowhere! do you mean to say that the toiling-in-the-sun crowd cannot appreciate a melody without 'dang dings' and 'cham cham chamakku chams' ?? didnt the same crowd love/enjoy a 'tharai mel pirakka vaithhaan' from KV Mahadevan or a "thirudaadhey paappa thirudaadhey". or a "budhhan gandhi yesu pirandhadhu bhoomiyil yedharkaaga ?" kind of songs which did not have such nonsense ??

isnt such a claim doing injustice to their appreciative ears and actually sound condescending/patronising ? salilda did not resort to such stuff in his evergreen 'madhumathi' which had lots of tribal/folk based songs !

IMO, the problem lies elsewhere - (1) IR doing tons of movies at a time, and often perhaps not having time for a complete song, and hence such 'phrases' probably came in haste - best example, the obnoxious 'pee peee pibbeeepee pee pee' chorus in the second interlude of the delightful 'vaa vaa manjal malare' from rajathi raaja! as i said, these things at the peak of his career cud be excused (though i dont see why coz, as a professional, he shd have given equal importance to each and every film he was doing, and gotten ridden of such phrases replacing them with some other stuff) - so that possibly explains the state in the 1980s; (2) but now, its an inexplicable sense of 'this is enough for you' to a 'yes boss, yes boss' nodding filmmaker - wud he have the guts to come up with such stuff with someone like kamal ? the 'bey bey peppey' wail in 'kombula poova sutthi' was very brief and strongly context-based and hence kamal probably allowed it

there is only a certain limit beyond which one cant explain the 'context-based' choice of crap IR often employs in his music even after 880 films! am glad that he didnt mess PAA with such stuff coz of the canvas and the wider reach he must have envisaged
    Let' admit another thing...The weakest link of Raja's music is his vocal harmony...from light boy, his car driver to Gangai Amaran and arunmozhi everyone sings in the chorus...Every chorus of his reminds me of "Rajadhi rajan indha Raja..." sung by Ravi krishna and friends in 7G rainbow colony
    shankar posts...

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    that too @ the age of 66!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    that too @ the age of 66! is for ....

Year 2009 Seems to the best in this decade for IR, hope all will agree, Enna mathiri variety of Songs Kuduthu Irukaar. From Naan Kadavul to Suryakanthi. Try Listening all the albums in a row and Comment them in few lines for each album. Apuram pesunga Sound, Chorus, Rhythms etc. pathi ellam.

Post Thanks / Like
    the male singer in 'edeya bagilu' (suryakanthi) - is the choice deliberately made to sound like the late kannada icon Rajkumar ? the initial portions when he begins the pallavi did remind me of late RK's voice! did anyone else feel the same ?

Post Thanks / Like
    irir123,

Actually Kunal Ganjawala's opening reminded me of Raja. I felt he was probably singing exactly like how Raja wanted him to sing. For some unknown reason I am always taken aback when he sings 'without you'. It sounds like 'viraha choo' which doesn't mean anything In this song as well as well as in 'chinna polike', the female of the species does better than the male.