Page 1 of 250 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Let me take the pleasure of starting a new thread. Raja in good form and growing. Expect him to treat us with much more addictive stuff.

Last edited by RR; 26th November 2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Edited title

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another review, not a copy of IANS one
    Courtesy of HeartA from Orkut IR Community

Paa - Music Review

Courtesy of Rakesh from Orkut IR Community

Amitabh Bachan writing about Ilaiyaraaja in his blog

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    MSK,

You are very correct about 'Odathandil'. It is a lovely melody and I listen to it every day. Yes, 'adhiushas' is addictive now doubt. Even if I am reading a book while the song is playing the background, I stop my reading for a minute and join the singing when Jesudas goes 'Anathera mamala than mounamudachu'. Such is the power of the song. (And when Chitra starts 'kunnathe' I close the book

Post Thanks / Like
    kiru,

I would agree with your observation to a large extent though not fully. What seems to have happened in 'Paa' is that Raja has brought to fore the traditional elements associated with western music, be it a rock ballad or jazz, and slightly pushed his own trademark a bit back. The trademarks are definitely there but the ones coming to the fore are the more genre based elements. Like the way 'gali mudi' songs starts on the guitar is very reminiscent of some of Eagles love ballads. But the Mohanam touch is that of the master. (That pentatonic scale does exist and is used often in Rock music as well but the way it is used in this song is very Raajaish) The second interlude of 'gum sum gum' is clearly jazz and the keyboard playing there does not really carry any added twist of Raja. It is lovely but as you say, the Raja twist may not be there but the prelude carries his stamp. The 'hichki' song carries his stamp more according to me.

I am loving the 'gali mudi' song a lot. On one hand the orchestration is more 'standard' as you say but the tune is something to die for and Shaan to his credit does a nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    raagas,

You had a valid view about the composer not 'working hard' when he is using his earlier tune. While that is true, I guess you must approach 'gum sum' more as a jazz song that our film song. In the sense, in jazz music, as you know, everyone plays some standard song, not necessarily something they have composed. What matters there is how they improvise on that song. If you also approach 'gum sum' that way, you may enjoy it better. Ofcouse 'gum sum' differs from pure jazz in the sense that no improvisation is done on the main melody but still...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swanand Kirkire's interview:

http://www.planetradiocity.com/music...nterviewid=400

"What about Paa?
    Working on Paa was a real challenge that I can’t really define; you will realise when you hear the album. This film is special to me, as I got to work with Mr Amitabh Bachchan and the legendary Ilaiyaraaja. For any lyricist, working with him is a dream come true. I am overwhelmed that I got this opportunity so early in life. Amitabhji have also sung a song, ‘Mere Paa’, in the film. When I recited the song to him, he appreciated the lyrics. "

thanks,

Krishnan

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeevi
    http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/November/191109.asp
    Can anyone please post the gist of this article in english.

Also, yesterday's telugu news paper eenadu confirmed that the audio of new telugu film "Om Shanti" is releasing on Nov 27th. So in 1 more week, we will have another new album.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    பாடல் எழுதியவர் மலையாளத்தின் முன்னணி கவிஞர். நான் கொடுக்கிற மெட்டுக்கு அவரால் வரிகள் போட முடியவில்லை. மீட்டரில் அடங்கவில்லை என்றே சொல்லிக் கொண்டிருந்தார். அவர் ஒரு ஊரில் இருக்க, நான் இன்னொரு இடத்தில் இருந்தேன். ட்யூன்களை எடுத்துக் கொண்டு அவரது வீட்டுக்கே செல்வார் டைரக்டர் ஹரிஹரன். கடைசியாக அவரே ஒரு பாடலை எழுதிக் கொடுத்திருந்தார். சரி, அதற்கு மெட்டு போட்டுக் கொள்ளலாம் என்ற முடிவோடு அமர்ந்தேன். பழசிராஜா தான் வாழ்ந்த ஊரை விட்டே போவது போல காட்சி. ஆனால் அந்த வேதனையை சொல்வது போல ஒரு வரியும் இல்லாதது எனக்கு அதிர்ச்சியாக இருந்தது. அவர் போடுகிற வரிகள், இந்த காலத்திற்கு ஏற்றார் போல அமைந்திருக்க வேண்டும். தங்கள் மண்ணை விட்டு உலகமெங்கும் வாழ்பவர்களின் வலி அதில் தெரிய வேண்டும். ஆனால் வரிகளில் மட்டும் ஒரு போருக்கான ஆயத்தம் இருந்தது. அதாவது லெப்ட், ரைட் என்று பெரேட் செல்வது போலவே தாளக்கட்டுடன் அமைந்த வரிகள். படித்த ஒரு வினாடிக்குள் நான் இப்படிதான் மெட்டு போடுவேன் என்று அவர் நினைத்திருப்பார் என்பதை யூகிக்க முடிந்தது. ஆனாலும் வேறு மாதிரி மனசை உருக்குவது போல மெட்டு போட்டேன் என்று ராஜா சொல்ல பலத்த கைதட்டல் அரங்கத்தில்.

raagas,

A Layman Translation for you:

Raaja Speaks "The Song was written by a leading poet of Malayalam Industry. He was not able to write lyrics for the tunes that I was giving and constantly telling it doesnt set in the 'Meter'. I was in a different place and he was in a different place. Director Hariharan used travel to his place carrying my tunes. Finally He gave a song and i sat down to Compose the tune.
    The scene was depicting 'Pazassiraja' going away from his place. It was shocking that There was not even a single line expressing this sadness. There should have been lines which express this emotion in todays context. He should've written expressing the longing of people who are living all over the world having left their land. But the lyrics had a emotion of preparation for a war. It was rhythmic like Left-Right Parade. He should've guessed that within seconds of reading those lines I would tune only as he had intended me too. But I changed it and tuned in a heart wrenching way"

That is Raaja who doesn't compromise on his musical understandings of human emotions. The lyricists however great they may be can't satisfy him. 'Kannadasan' was the last of that lot who cared for emotions onscreen. Now thinking of the song 'Aadhi ushas' I can understand how much struggle Raaja would've gone through to convey the pain through his tune & orchestration despite the lyrics predominantly being in a War preparatory tone.

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks RS! That was very lucid I am waiting for someone to rip the BGM of this film.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Page 1 of 250 1231151101 ... LastLast