View Poll Results: Which one is your favourite Dan Brown?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Da Vinci Code

30 71.43%
  • Angels & Demons

8 19.05%
  • Deception Point

0 0%
  • Digital Fortress

4 9.52%
  • The Lost Symbol

0 0%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Dan Brown fans here?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Badri. I would go for it.

BTW, what do you mean by romance in DV?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    We are so used to applying only one meaning to the word romance. We always think it is just the love interest. But when discussing literature, the word romance means a mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful.

In English Literature, it generally refers to a long medieval narrative in prose or verse that tells of the adventures and heroic exploits of chivalric heroes, as in an Arthurian romance or a long fictitious tale of heroes and extraordinary or mysterious events, usually set in a distant time or place.

Due to these associations, romantic literature is now the class of literature constituted by such tales, as above.

Ok...did I sound a tad too pedantic? If so, sorry!!!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Badri. I certainly knew that there was something more to it when you said romance. I just wanted to know it in detail. Thanks for the fine explanation !!

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cygnus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Badri, well since you have pontificated pedantically and pompously on 'romance', I would withhold what I had wanted to say

Roshan:

Well, DF in my opinion was a run of the mill mystery infused with a generous dose of modern cryptology, 'Enemy of the state'-style NSA-phobia and hi tech conspiracies reaffirming the ever-growing skepticism against protective mechanisms that turn around and invade the privacy of the unwitting public.

It had its moments of thrill, I have to admit but then the climax was a BIG yawner...since Brown draws out a very simple deciphering that anyone could easily do, so long and so drily....

2 out of 4 stars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Badri, well since you have pontificated pedantically and pompously on 'romance'
    Ahem, ahem..don't rub it in pa...

Well, you are right about the yawning climax...but I still think the build up to the climax was kind of good...there is a certain quality to Brown's writing which alone can hold your interest for a while, notwithstanding how the story goes...
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Cygnus !! Well... I feel like going for it , but not decided yet After reading your views on Angels & Demons, I prefer reading it next. But have to wait for one or two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a news flash that is sure to tickle Dan Brown!!!

Vatican takes on Da Vinci Code

Furious over the popularity of The Da Vinci Code, the bestseller which is now being made into a movie starring Tom Hanks, the Vatican has asked a senior cardinal to debunk the novel, which it believes was deliberately written to discredit the Catholic Church through "absurd and vulgar lies". ...Bertone, the Archbishop of Genoa, Italy, is among those seen as a likely successor to the ailing Pope John Paul II.

Bertone will initiate a series of public debates in Genoa to attack the book and its conspiracy theories, which he believes are eroding the Catholic faith...."He even perverts the story of the Holy Grail, which most certainly does not refer to the descendants of Mary Magadalene," fumes Cardinal Bertone. "It astonishes and worries me that so many people believe these lies."

The Vatican's move will only give greater publicity to Brown's book, and more and more people will buy and read it, just to learn what the fuss is all about. Dan Brown, I hope, will give thanks, as he watches his bank balance grow!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I too read about the protest against 'The Da Vinci Code' and I agree with Badri that it will only help the book to sell more. As far as the movie producers are concerned, it is a boon giving unsolicited publicity. Can remember, the more Harry Potter books were accused of promoting witchcraft, the more people wanted to read it.

Finished 'Deception Point', not so great, can recommend for a one-time read. Started 'Digital Fortress'.
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahem!

Digital fortress done! Very interesting read. I was a bit disappointed with Deception Point but Digital fortress kept me gripped throughout. No Langdon again, no symbology but it is about computers and code-breaking. Good work!

Now that I've finished all 4 of Dan Brown, this is my ranking-
    1. Angels and demons
    2. Digital Fortress
    3. The Da Vinci Code
    4. Deception Point
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

I got Angels and Demons and Deception Point yesterday ! Digital Fortress was sold out. Started with A&D. They had the special illustrated collector's edition of Da Vinci Code as well. Book soooper -A irukku ! Nicely designed and printed with coloured pictures of Da Vinci's paintings and comparative works of other artists - pictures of buildings and locations, diagroms etc.. Well illustrated !! With great difficulty I controlled my temptation to purchase it yesterday. But I dont think I can resist. Very soon I'm going to get the book. Really worth buying it !

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast