View Poll Results: Which one is your favourite Dan Brown?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Da Vinci Code

30 71.43%
  • Angels & Demons

8 19.05%
  • Deception Point

0 0%
  • Digital Fortress

4 9.52%
  • The Lost Symbol

0 0%
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Dan Brown fans here?

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger
    I liked digital fortress but the other novels, well, I dont know. May be I am not a Dan Brown fan for some "unknown reason"!
    Quote Originally Posted by doss
    As long as it is interesting timepass, who cares?
    Well, he talks science. It is difficult to take it as a time-pass novel, when you talk science extensively! Well...Sorry to disappoint you guys with a -ve remark!
    Then you want to take Dan Brown seriously, what?
    In English , every author has to have a unique brand name, otherwise they cannot make a name for themselves:Like when your hear Arthur Hailey, you know his stories are going to be about hotels and airports etc.
    Robert Ludlum; about international spy / conspiracy thrillers.
    Thomas Harris: about serial killers etc

And when you think of DB, you think of religious conspiracies with medieval art with a cliched thriller plot,
    Thats all there is to DB.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abbydoss1969
    And when you think of DB, you think of religious conspiracies with medieval art with a cliched thriller plot,
    And

* mass # of uranium isotopes

* function of Luciferin in insects

* electron microscope analysis of meteorite

* nickel and zirconium composition of meteorites

* fossils and c-dating

Critical and careful analysis of such ALSO fall in the category of *religious conspiracies with medivel art* too?!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked digital fortress but the other novels, well, I dont know. May be I am not a Dan Brown fan for some "unknown reason"!
    Stranger,
    Thanks for the comments. My next read is going to be "Digitat Fortress" . I have read his other three and I liked DVC and A&D for the enomours volume of information about religion and art. Deception Point did not impress me mcuh. It was like an action movie. Overall DVC remains my most favourite so far. Let me see how DF goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    And

* mass # of uranium isotopes

* function of Luciferin in insects

* electron microscope analysis of meteorite

* nickel and zirconium composition of meteorites

* fossils and c-dating

Critical and careful analysis of such ALSO fall in the category of *religious conspiracies with medivel art* too?!
    You see, DB, has been perfecting his storytelling from the first novel from, Deception point, to Digital Fortresss to A*D to Davinci code.You can see the gradual amaterish attempt of the first novel to reaching his best form with Davinci code.

As to your meteorite analysis, it all falls under the category the conspiracy theory of NASA,

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, u r correct, doss!

Post Thanks / Like
    You see, DB, has been perfecting his storytelling from the first novel from, Deception point, to Digital Fortresss to A*D to Davinci code. You can see the gradual amaterish attempt of the first novel to reaching his best form with Davinci code.
    well,

1. Digital Fortress (1998)

2. Angels and Demon (2000)

3. Deception Point (2001)

4. The Da Vinci Code (2003)

That is the correct order, I believe. Is he perfecting from 1 to 4?

May be!

But he made me wonder What is the *anti-matter* with this English teacher, when he was talking about matter + antimatter => Two Photons

Of course this is fictious science where water can be written as H2O2 and not H2O .

He can also insist his thoughts through his characters such as "bimbos" like Vittoria Vetra that

* Science tells me God must exist

* My mind tells me I cant understand God

* My heart tells me I am not meant to

and

* I never bought the idea of science-as-god lecture

* Science created half of the problems it is trying to solve

* progress is taking mother-earth to malignancy

and any BS he wants to tell in the NAME of FICTION.

I cant argue about it. can I? Because it is fiction

However, it is *hard to buy his goddish scientific bs and carry on with it* at least for some people.

Post Thanks / Like
    You see, DB, has been perfecting his storytelling from the first novel from, Deception point, to Digital Fortresss to A*D to Davinci code. You can see the gradual amaterish attempt of the first novel to reaching his best form with Davinci code.
    well,

1. Digital Fortress (1998)

2. Angels and Demon (2000)

3. Deception Point (2001)

4. The Da Vinci Code (2003)

That is the correct order, I believe. Is he perfecting from 1 to 4?

May be!

But he made me wonder What is the *anti-matter* with this English teacher, when he was talking about matter + antimatter => Two Photons

Of course this is fictious science where water can be written as H2O2 and not H2O .

He can also insist his thoughts through his characters such as "bimbos" like Vittoria Vetra that

* Science tells me God must exist

* My mind tells me I cant understand God

* My heart tells me I am not meant to

and

* I never bought the idea of science-as-god lecture

* Science created half of the problems it is trying to solve

* progress is taking mother-earth to malignancy

and any BS he wants to tell in the NAME of FICTION.

I cant argue about it. can I? Because it is fiction

However, it is *hard to buy his goddish scientific bs and carry on with it* at least for some people.
    Stranger,
    I think your order is wrong ; my order of books is right.
    I have taken the following from his web site;

Dan is a graduate of Amherst College and Phillips Exeter Academy, where he spent time as an English teacher before turning his efforts fully to writing. In 1996, his interest in code-breaking and covert government agencies led him to write his first novel, Digital Fortress, which quickly became a #1 national bestselling eBook. Set within the clandestine National Security Agency, the novel explores the fine line between civilian privacy and national security. Brown’s follow-up techno-thriller, Deception Point, centered on similar issues of morality in politics, national security, and classified technology.

The son of a Presidential Award winning math professor and of a professional sacred musician, Dan grew up surrounded by the paradoxical philosophies of science and religion. These complementary perspectives served as inspiration for his acclaimed novel Angels & Demons—a science vs. religion thriller set within a Swiss physics lab and Vatican City. Recently, he has begun work on a series of symbology thrillers featuring his popular protagonist Robert Langdon, a Harvard professor of iconography and religious art. The upcoming series will include books set in Paris, London, and Washington D.C.

Post Thanks / Like

sequel to Davinci codes

DB, is working on a sequel to DAvinci code, is it a good thing or bad?

Note: Answers to frequently asked questions about "The Da Vinci Code" can be found by clicking here.

What are your 10 favorite books —and why?
    Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) —Simple, suspenseful, and poignant. Better yet, the first paragraph of every chapter is a master class in writing effective description.
    Gödel, Escher, Bach (Douglas Hofstadter) —The 3% I actually understood was fascinating.
    Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer) —I was amazed how well Archer handled the long time spans without ever losing the narrative pulse. The ultimate novel of sibling rivalry.
    Plum Island (Nelson DeMille) —He remains the master of substance, wry humor, and controlled point of view.
    The Bourne Identity Series (Ludlum) —Ludlum's early books are complex, smart, and yet still move at a lightning pace. This series got me interested in the genre of big-concept, international thrillers.
    Much Ado About Nothing (William Shakespeare) —I didn't understand how funny this play truly was until I became an English teacher and had to teach it. There is no wittier dialogue anywhere.
    Wordplay: Ambigrams and Reflections on the Art of Ambigrams (John Langdon) —Artist and philosopher John Langdon is one of our true geniuses. His book changed the way I think about symmetry, symbols, and art.
    Codes Ciphers & Other Cryptic & Clandestine Communication (Fred Wrixon) —A phenomenal encyclopedia of the art, science, history, and philosophy of cryptology.
    The Puzzle Palace (James Bamford) —Although dated, this book is still one of the most captivating inside looks at the covert world of America's premier intelligence agency.
    The Elements of Style (Strunk and White) —Because who can possibly remember all the rules of grammar and punctuation?

Favorite films?
    My all-time favorites would have to be Fantasia, Life is Beautiful, Annie Hall, and Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. Of course, if you're looking for pure popcorn entertainment, you can't beat Indiana Jones or the Pink Panther series.

Favorite music?
    I've recently become hooked on the Spanish singer Franco de Vita. I also listen to The Gipsy Kings, Sarah Mclachlan, and Deva Premal.

If you had a book club, what would it be reading — and why?
    The Golden Ratio: The Story Of Phi, The World's Most Astonishing Number (Mario Livio) — Admittedly, to imply that a book club could get excited talking about a "number" probably sounds far-fetched, but this book ties together themes of art history, nature, mathematics, philosophy, and religion in an accessible and eye-opening way. Sure to spark great discussions.

What are your favorite books to give — and get — as gifts?
    This will sound nerdish, but the all-time best "gift book" has to be a leather-bound copy of the Oxford English Dictionary. How can you go wrong? Of course, don't forget a magnifying glass to go with it.

Who are your favorite writers, and what makes their writing special?
    John Steinbeck for his descriptions…Robert Ludlum for his plotting…and Shakespeare for his wordplay.

What are you working on now?
    Currently I'm writing another Robert Langdon thriller-the sequel to The Da Vinci Code. For the first time, Langdon will find himself embroiled in a mystery on U.S. soil. This new novel explores the hidden history of our nation's capital.

How Do you weave so much information into your stories and yet keep them so fast-paced?
    Writing an informative yet compact thriller is a lot like making maple sugar candy. You have to tap hundreds of trees…boil vats and vats of raw sap…evaporate the water…and keep boiling until you've distilled a tiny nugget that encapsulates the essence. Of course, this requires liberal use of the DELETE key. In many ways, editing yourself is the most important part of being a novelist…carving away superfluous text until your story stands crystal clear before your reader. For every page in a published novel, I wrote ten that ended up in the trash.

Give us three "Good to Know" facts about you. Be creative. Tell us about your first job, the inspiration for your writing, any fun details that would enliven your page.
    If I'm not at my desk by 4:00 A.M., I feel like I'm missing my most productive hours. In addition to starting early, I keep an antique hour glass on my desk and every hour break briefly to do pushups, sit-ups, and some quick stretches. I find this helps keep the blood (and ideas) flowing. I'm also a big fan of gravity boots. Hanging upside down seems to help me solve plot challenges by shifting my entire perspective.

When is your next novel coming out?
    Because my novels are so research-intensive, they take a couple of years to write. My next novel will be another Robert Langdon adventure (picking up, in fact, where The Da Vinci Code left off). Currently, there is no release date scheduled because the book is not yet near completion.

What else do you want your readers to know? Consider here your likes and dislikes, your interests and hobbies, your favorite ways to unwind — whatever comes to mind.
    I've recently become fanatical about tennis (and play every afternoon when I finish writing). If anyone out here has any tips on hitting a consistent top-spin backhand, please fax them to Doubleday.

From author FAQ in his web site;

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know, doss, I checked the copies of original books (all the four books) and found that "copy right" of years were given as I stated in my post. I just simply have given that here. My "order" is based on the "copy rights" in the hard-cover books he published and not based on any web sites.

I really care less about it, anyway. I apologize if I was wrong in giving the order!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am done with "Digital Fortress". The story did not impress me that much though again he had dealt with some kind of controversial and interesting issue like Civilian privacy Vs National Security. There was hardly any twists or turns and right from the beginning any one can guess as to who the antagonist is. It was highly disappointing to learn that such a long search for the "ring" resulted in nothing at the end. Unlike in his other three stories none of the characters created an impact.

The only un expected and touching thing was the "Epilogue".

Now, having read all four of Dan, this is my rating;

1. The Da Vince Code
    2. Angels and Demons
    3. Deception Point
    4. Digital Fortress

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast