View Poll Results: Is it Culture Or Religion

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Religion

1 16.67%
  • Combination of various cultures

5 83.33%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HINDUSIM,IS IT A COMBINTION OF CULTURES, RELIGON OR SCIENCE?

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudhaama

Narayana is the ONLY Paramathma, the Supreme God for all Gods.

Narayana is the PARANJOTHI... the Supreme Jothi Paramathma for all Athmas to meditate.(because the Paramathma Narayana renders Grace-Powers to all other Gods)

Narayana is the Supreme Protector to whom all the Devotees are bound to believe and worship.!

Again One's one belief and perception , just like mine :P
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pradheep

Intellect has its limitations, but can solve the contrdictions that arise in the beleif system of the devotees. It is belief systems that causes wars between religions and within the various sects of a religion. Belief holds good only for the person, not for the whole lot. Belief's are subject to change , because the mind changes. What an individual or a group of indivudals believed can changed over time.
    thank you, this what i was trying to express, but i may have used words wrongly

Wheareas Truth is Truth and does not depend on the belief of the mind.

Thanks you sir, this is what i was trying to tell you before, where you have misunderstood me, I was saying 'Mind will grasp any crap from the environment in it's memory and build up any kind of imagination and assume that is the reality (beliefs like you said ), in fact these things which are in your mind are illsuion (Maya) subject to changes according the circumstances you may face, this mind is never be in a constant and it is like a variable, always changing from one state to another (Maya). This is NOT the truth about LIFE

In my view creator (GOD) created the whole universe From living things to and panja bootha's for survival (know one yet knows the reason behind GOD'S creation and will never know), humans made it complicated, highly complexed , developed certain emotions , made all the suffereing in the world (but the blame is blamed on GOD) and created various beliefs , faiths as a way of consolidation for their suffering... in the people mind, they need GOD's service when they are sad or in needy, know one wants or even think about the creator, when they are happy 'the word 'GOD' does not exist for them! This clearly indicates 99.9% seek GOD when they in trouble... which means GOD is like a Friend to them who is JUST there to help you but nothing else,....these are all human characters
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my view creator (GOD) created the whole universe From living things to and panja bootha's for survival (know one yet knows the reason behind

When the mind sees a creation then it creates a creator behind the creator, because Mind's nature is to "Create". The mind then puts the creator to be be bigger than the creation. Then out of fear, the mind then thinks that it should please the creator otherwise it will be punished. From that point on it creates a whole series of belief system. When two members in that lineage has difference of opinion then they create two different sections in that belief system. this is the trend we see in all religions.

We see this in Hinduism, where people argue about Shiva and Vishnu, who is greater. Well , without understanding that both Shiva and Vishnu symbolism are both the creation of the mind, there will be always arguements and wars on that. If one understands that Shiva and Vishnu are the various Cosmic laws (Dharma) on one's own self, the differences becomes mute.

I was invited to a college last week to talk to graduate students doing comparative world religions. My talk was on Hinduism. One of the question from a student was, what happens to me when I dont believe in Jesus is my savior. I answered it is only a belief and not a fact. In India a group tells me that If I dont believe in Krishna, then I be doomed. So says all religions. Now as a layman, I will be confused, which to believe?.

One thing is true is that from stand point of each religions, all of us are to be doomed. That is from Christian point of view, all Hindu's Buddhists, Jews, Muslims will be doomed. From Hindu point of view all christians, muslims, buddhists, jews will be doomed, if they dont believe in Krishna. From Muslim poinjt of views all others except they will be doomed. The same way each religious group thinks, except them all others will be doomed. In essence, everyone will be doomed.

Here in the forum hub we have friends who thinks if they dont believe in Shiva they will be doomed. The other one thinks if they dont believe in Vishnu they will be doomed.

The problem is that, the believers dont understand that belief is only a belief of the mind and not a Truth. My talk was then what is the difference between Truth and belief. How to know the Truth. The talk was based on Upanishads.

Senior Member Senior Hubber anbu_kathir's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When the mind sees a creation then it creates a creator behind the creator, because Mind's nature is to "Create". The mind then puts the creator to be be bigger than the creation. Then out of fear, the mind then thinks that it should please the creator otherwise it will be punished. From that point on it creates a whole series of belief system. When two members in that lineage has difference of opinion then they create two different sections in that belief system. this is the trend we see in all religions.
    Do you mean to say all mythologies and religions come out of fear?

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep
    Well , without understanding that both Shiva and Vishnu symbolism are both the creation of the mind, there will be always arguements and wars on that. If one understands that Shiva and Vishnu are the various Cosmic laws (Dharma) on one's own self, the differences becomes mute.
    Super!

I was invited to a college last week to talk to graduate students doing comparative world religions.
    If I may ask, where was this? Could you give some more details?

That is from Christian point of view, all Hindu's Buddhists, Jews, Muslims will be doomed. From Hindu point of view all christians, muslims, buddhists, jews will be doomed, if they dont believe in Krishna.
    Got your point of course, but 'doomed' is a bit harsh for this list, I would say. Many hindus believe hinduism is 'superior' to other religious systems. However the others need not be 'doomed', they might probably evolve to a 'higher' birth that finally incorporates Hinduism . Also, there are subdivisions in each of these religions who have understand the metaphorical and non-literal interpretations of their own religions and therefore let go of this us-against-them attitude.

The problem is that, the believers dont understand that belief is only a belief of the mind and not a Truth. My talk was then what is the difference between Truth and belief. How to know the Truth. The talk was based on Upanishads.
    Cool!

Love and Light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by anbu_kathir
    possibly and possibly not , cos an unknown entity (in this cas GOD) often creates fear,confusion, Imagination and expectation because the entity is unknown!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well , without understanding that both Shiva and Vishnu symbolism are both the creation of the mind,
    Thank you , thank you.. This is what I keep on saying about the mind.. combination of memory (what you have learnt from your 5 senses is stored as memory the rest is imagination based upon your memory, i.e what you have known)

If one understands that Shiva and Vishnu are the various Cosmic laws (Dharma) on one's own self, the differences becomes mute.
    I know this very well, but i was just getting annoyed but fanatical missionising by ISCKON and some believers vasihnavites who simply make a 'Mockery' of everthing else by the views they believe in!

Another 'Major' sect which was excellent act missionising people is Christianity...

any way like I said, everything exsists in your mind! I have been brought as a ISwara believer, even though intellectually I am able to relate to every other religion, faiths etc and respect them, I follow this tradition that is my personal thing

Post Thanks / Like
    If we believe in something according to our convenience or based on our cultural influences, then there is a natural conflict the moment we come in contact with someone who believes in something else.

That is why some of the worst crimes in history have been committed in the name of God.

Essentially, belief systems stem from a basic problem that people are not sincere enough to admit that they do not know. If this sincerity to simply admit, “What I know, I know; what I do not know, I do not know” comes to us, then there is really no room for conflict.

There are two kinds of religions in the world. One seeks the benevolence of God while the other encourages one to manifest one’s own divinity. One teaches prayer, another seeks to manifest prayerfulness. Yoga Patanjali says it beautifully: When one knows how to be truly prayerful, prayer is not the means to reach God, but God is only the means so that we can pray.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Ak,
    The nucleus of any religious organization is spiritual (Truth). Surrounding this Nucleus an organization grows with its own beliefs, rituals, customs, mythology, music, dance, arts, architecture, laws and rules etc etc.
    The organization generates fear in the mind of the devotees to accept the Organization, while trying to feed the Spiritual Truth . It is like our mothers who create fear of a monster (poochandi) to the child resisting to eat food. Mother's objective is to make the rssisting child should food. Good intention. But the child carries a mental impression of a monster later creating problem to the same mother itself refusing to move around the house itself. Religious organizations does this same way.

Mythologies are not the product of fear. The Spiritual truth is not easy to understand to people who gives too much importance to mind. So mythologies are created to convey the Spiritual message in a palatable form to the mind.

Hinduism is a religion and "Sanatana Dharma" is its spiritual core. Unlike others religions where the the organization's belief is given more importance than the core, in Hinduism, teachers over ages came and rescued when the organization overthrows the core spirituality. This does not happen in other religions leading to fundamentalism.

In Hinduism there is no founder, not based on one single book but on many. Even the four vedas the foundation of Sanatana Dharma is composed of one thousand two hundred eighty recensions.

Just one single Rig veda is composed by not one person but by 356 Rishis, which includes female's also. So one could understand how great a society was, were both males and females contributed to the knowledge. isnt this like our science books. Any page we open in a physics text books is contributed not by one person, but hundreds of scientists. This is how sanatana Dharma is.

So Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma) is not a belief system (like some devotees have), it is a knowledge based way of life to know the highest Truth, that supports everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev -

Mahashivratri is a night of many possibilities. It is the darkest night of the month. Its very darkness is cause for celebration. Normally, we tend to resist darkness and opt for light. On Shivratri, however, darkness is venerated as the symbol of creation and destruction.

The word Shiva literally means that which is not. That which is, is existence; that which is, is creation. That which is not is Shiva. That which is not means, if you open your eyes and look around, if your vision is for small things, you will see lots of creation. If your vision is really looking for big things, you will see that the biggest presence in existence is a vast emptiness. Just a few spots – which we call galaxies – are noticed, not the vast emptiness that holds. This vastness or unbounded emptiness is Shiva.

When we say Shiva, we are referring to this vast emptiness of existence. It is in the lap of this vast emptiness that all Creation has happened. Our ancient prayers are not about saving yourself, protecting yourself, or about doing better in life. The prayers have always been about Oh lord, destroy me, so that I can become like Yourself.’

So when we say Shivratri, which is the darkest night of the month, it is an opportunity for us to dissolve our limitedness, to experience the unboundedness of the source of Creation, which is the seed in every human being. Shivaratri is an opportunity to bring yourself to that experience of the vast emptiness within every human being, which is the source of all Creation

Senior Member Senior Hubber anbu_kathir's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mother-son-poochaandi example was bang on, I felt! .

The nucleus of any religious organization is spiritual (Truth). Surrounding this Nucleus an organization grows with its own beliefs, rituals, customs, mythology, music, dance, arts, architecture, laws and rules etc etc.
    Rituals (which are actually enactments of the myths) have been existent since the age of Neanderthal man, thats like around 1,00,000 years ago (or more). Even in India, I believe the philosophical treatises of the Upanishads have come only after to the earlier Vedic ritualistic traditions. The Vedic Gods themselves have their prototypes in the Gods of the earliest civilization near what was then called Sumer. While man's inner truth might have been the 'cause' for these myths, the wisdom that comes with the realization of inner truth is not immediately apparent from history, at least until the age of the Upanishads. In my thoughts, therefore, myths actually seem to precede philosophical treatises about Truth/God (not Absolute Truth of course).

The Spiritual truth is not easy to understand to people who gives too much importance to mind. So mythologies are created to convey the Spiritual message in a palatable form to the mind.
    This might not be the only reason that mythology was 'created' (Myths have been likened to public-dreams in some psychoanalytical treatises in the distant and the recent past.. so 'created' might not be the accurate word here.. 'flowered' might be more precise I feel). One of my favourite authors, Joseph Campbell, used to say that mythology serves four functions : metaphysical/mystical, cosmological, sociological, and pedagogical.

Quote Originally Posted by [url
    http://brainstorm-services.com/wcu-2004/mythology.html[/url]]
    Its metaphysical function is to awaken us to the mystery and wonder of creation, to open our minds and our senses to an awareness of the mystical "ground of being," the source of all phenomena. Its cosmological function is to describe the "shape" of the cosmos, the universe, our total world, so that the cosmos and all contained within it become vivid and alive for us, infused with meaning and significance; every corner, every rock, hill, stone, and flower has its place and its meaning in the cosmological scheme which the myth provides. Its sociological function is to pass down "the law," the moral and ethical codes for people of that culture to follow, and which help define that culture and its prevailing social structure. Its pedagogical function is to lead us through particular rites of passage that define the various significant stages of our lives-from dependency to maturity to old age, and finally, to our deaths, the final passage. The rites of passage bring us into harmony with the "ground of being" (a term often used by Joseph Campbell to refer to an unnamed, unspecified universal mystical power) and allow us to make the journey from one stage to another with a sense of comfort and purpose.
    Love and Light.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast