Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: G.V. Prakash Kumar - Latest Sensation

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Idhai ivlo serious'ah eduthukka vendiya avasiyanthaan enna? He was trying to mimic the toppers of his time rather than making a mark of individuality. For an average listener (who doesn't care about whose music it is,what instruments used, orchestration, notes, blah blah) it will be tough to differentiate. I have bought IR mp3s which had a handful of non IR numbers. Aadiyila Sedhi solli, Oru Kadhal Devadhai and Kannukkul Nooru Nilava to name a few. Mostly Deva numbers.

Aasai, Nerukku Ner and one other album ( Appu?) clearly showcased Deva's attempt on sounding Rahmanish. May be due to producer or director's push too. How successful was he is altogether a different issue. But he tried and that is the point of discussion here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ingE dhan mishtake paNNAdhingangarEn - more than an attempt to mimic Rahman, it was probably simply picking off from western pop. By saying he was trying to mimic Rahman there, you are insulting Rahman.

(Ofcourse ordinary listeners will perpeutate this ordinarhy karuthtus - as music fans, ipdi patta lazy thoughts-ai counter paNNa vENAvA Ajay? edhuvumE yOsikkAmA, Edho engathukarum katcherikku pONarnu solRa karuththukku neengaLum mukyathuvam kodukkalAmA?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Plumji,

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always felt that Deva attempted that with NN and Aasai. If its an insult to ARR, then so be it. He'll forgive me. But it's my genuine opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ajay - it is clear that he attempted but how did he attemptngaradhu dhAn question. It's like producers came to him asking him to "score like Rahman", an all he could do was to listen to a few Western Pop songs and simply lift them lock stock and barrel. In the case of IR mimicking, atleast he did the basic work of trying to imbibe the pattern and not lift lock stock and barrel from specific IR songs but when it came to mimicking Rahman it was simply a case of lifting from Western songs in an attempt to sound like Rahman

idhu evLO periya difference? He probably had zero idea of what it takes to mimic Rahman and all he could think was xerox a few western pop songs hoping that they'd be considered as Rahman style , so to me, any "analysis" saying "he tried to mimic Rahman" is lazy and completely poor understanding of what Rahman brought in to TFM at that stage.

indha levella kooda discuss paNNa mAttOm - apdiyE "Common Man" solRadhai analysis illAma EthukkaNumnu sonnA edhukku oru forumnu dhAn kEttEn. Hope you understand

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

Leave out the lifted one - Akila Akila. It's something you expect from a man who lifted Kanda Sashti Kavasam. But don't you feel that a 'Manam Virumbhudhey' or 'Pulveli' was kinda tribute to ARR? Westernising a pure Carnatic was an ARR template then. Deva tried but fell half short.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think so at all. Those were simply taking a western pop template and trying to add whatever he knew and had at his disposal. I certainly dont think he understood what ARR was pioneering then to even attempt to mimic that. You are giving Deva too much credit. I am sure you agree the ARR template was far more than just "taking a carnatic tune and westernising" it. That is a lot of reduction of what Rahman did and I certainly dont expect an ARR fan to reduce it thus.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    On Plums note -

<all he could do was to listen to a few Western Pop songs and simply lift them lock stock and barrel>

First, Deva succeeded in sounding hip/youth/modern by all means!! Aasai, nerukku ner, vaali - copy or not - the shift in terms of the "sound" <a result of rahman's entry> was very well handled by Deva. Second, Sirpi, SA Rajkumar ellarum thaan kaapi adichaainga...now most of the music directors copy music- but with Deva its not just about copying, hes got some taste too.Only attributing Deva to copy is too much! Considering the number of songs he did and the vareity - he deserves some credit. edho vetti ottuna maadhiri soldreengale!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't agree more on Saai. Considering the knowledge level of today's so called composers, Deva was way ahead.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a staunch defender of Deva in specific areas. Adhu oru pakkam irukka, I think Plum's argument here is the acceptance of lazy (for the lack of a better word) statements like his songs can be mistaken for IR's and ARR's

Saai
    Vaali, Nerukku Ner = Epic fail. Sound wise and otherwise.
    I like Aasai a lot but nowhere near the soundscape of Rahman. In fact, he became worse with time.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast