• Who's Eastwood?

2 18.18%
  • What about as a Mayor? He was once.

0 0%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Clint Eastwood: Actor & Director

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    I think its a little setup there. Its about justice and righteous revenge all along and suddenly we get this moment where the wife not only condones the mistake but congratulates him. The placement of the love-making scene there is quite powerful. And when we see the faces in the parade it has ultimately become something else, isn't it?
    Bala,
    Rosenbaum's ambivalent take on the film in case you've not read it before. An excerpt relevant to this discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenbaum
    One might counter that Eastwood is perfectly aware of the monstrousness of this conclusion and that the darkness of his film’s vision makes room for it. Maybe, but I don’t much care. Most of the critical appreciations of Mystic River I’ve read seem so smitten with the fatalistic and deterministic side of this scenario that Eastwood’s intentions don’t matter. He may have tried to cross tragic inevitability with some form of Christian forgiveness–of Jimmy, if not the child molesters–but if we’re doomed regardless of what we do or think, what’s the point of trying to clean up our act? We’re free of any obligation to act differently–yet also free to relish the nobility of our pain at the realization that we’ve done something wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As always, an excellent writeup by Rosenbaum. Thanks for Posting, Equa. Trademark critique on mainstream criticism. Yes, he does go overboard sometimes, but it's a good read nevertheless.
    This is vintage Rosenbaum on American audience:
    "I thought there was something obscene about audiences’ delighted fascination with the evil and brilliant lunatic Hannibal Lecter gleefully killing without a shred of compunction, especially since some of those audiences seemed indifferent to the slaughter of innocent Iraqis that was going on at the same time. I couldn’t blame Demme or the story he was filming for that obscenity, since he wasn’t responsible for the delight with which his movie was received or the time at which it was released. Mystic River is too depressing to fill audiences with delight, but it does seem to validate questionable attitudes, especially an indifference to the suffering of innocent people and a willingness to shoot first and ask questions later."
    The premise of the argument is mostly based on that conversation, & I'm unmoved by it. I thought of it as solace provided by Jimmy's wife, and he is fully aware of unredeemed nature of his act. But it could be perceived differently like Rosenbaum, who explores the overall vision of this creation as he sees it. I'm not exactly sure if it's the intention, but by Rosenbaum's rules of film canonization, it has to be explored regardless. In a trademark fashion, he uses it to arrive at the inference of mainstream audience & critics. I love such voices of criticism (of criticism), but at times, it's often prone to slackly judge the audience. I'd argue a reasonable audience is a lot less stereotypical, and not a mere cardboard cut-out that Rosenbaum often conjures them to be. That remains my criticism of his critiquing technique.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by equanimus
    I think its a little setup there. Its about justice and righteous revenge all along and suddenly we get this moment where the wife not only condones the mistake but congratulates him. The placement of the love-making scene there is quite powerful. And when we see the faces in the parade it has ultimately become something else, isn't it?
    Bala,
    Rosenbaum's ambivalent take on the film in case you've not read it before. An excerpt relevant to this discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenbaum
    One might counter that Eastwood is perfectly aware of the monstrousness of this conclusion and that the darkness of his film’s vision makes room for it. Maybe, but I don’t much care. Most of the critical appreciations of Mystic River I’ve read seem so smitten with the fatalistic and deterministic side of this scenario that Eastwood’s intentions don’t matter. He may have tried to cross tragic inevitability with some form of Christian forgiveness–of Jimmy, if not the child molesters–but if we’re doomed regardless of what we do or think, what’s the point of trying to clean up our act? We’re free of any obligation to act differently–yet also free to relish the nobility of our pain at the realization that we’ve done something wrong.
    Thanks Equa. I remember reading a response to this in which the responder criticizes Rosenbaum's "moral" anger.

Is this tragic inevitability or misogyny?
    Thirst for unconditional revenge is one thing (which is the focus of Rosenbaum's criticism) but the last couple of scenes not only signify that but my problem is that i didn't see it coming and like i said i'd been set up all along. It's odd, doesn't "fit"

And why does virtually every movie involving a cop have to show a woman and some "problem" or "conflict". Take way that character of Sean's wife and what do we miss?

Maybe he’s telling us we’re wrong even when we’re right, but he’s made it too easy to read that message in reverse
    Isn't this one of the criticisms of Thevar Magan?[/b]

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    Have watched exactly one movie. Million Dollar Baby. And it did not like it. So I haven't seen any others yet.
    Exactly opposite. I rate it in between 'very good' and 'excellent'.
    Groucho/Thilak,
    Mystic River climax pathi aalukku rendu vari....
    thoongittEn. erichal erichalA vandhuchu

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VENKIRAJA
    Erichal vantha eppadi toonggurathu? But why erichal? The pace?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Quote Originally Posted by VENKIRAJA
    Erichal vantha eppadi toonggurathu? But why erichal? The pace?
    I was irritated by Tim Robbins. Sean Penn was my only hope and the climax, to me was very ordinary. Expected a great film the way it started, but

Post Thanks / Like
    Family Guy digression

Tim Robbins on an info message
    Hi, I am Tim Robbins. Most of you know me as Susan Sarandon's son. I am actually her husband.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poor guy, forever overshadowed by his wife's bossomic talent.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the most popular dialogues in the history of hollywood.......

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Avadi to America's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any one has seen the movie The bridges of Madison county?

it is one of under rated eastwood movies.....

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast