• Who's Eastwood?

2 18.18%
  • What about as a Mayor? He was once.

0 0%

Thread: Clint Eastwood: Actor & Director

Threaded View

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    I think its a little setup there. Its about justice and righteous revenge all along and suddenly we get this moment where the wife not only condones the mistake but congratulates him. The placement of the love-making scene there is quite powerful. And when we see the faces in the parade it has ultimately become something else, isn't it?
    Bala,
    Rosenbaum's ambivalent take on the film in case you've not read it before. An excerpt relevant to this discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenbaum
    One might counter that Eastwood is perfectly aware of the monstrousness of this conclusion and that the darkness of his film’s vision makes room for it. Maybe, but I don’t much care. Most of the critical appreciations of Mystic River I’ve read seem so smitten with the fatalistic and deterministic side of this scenario that Eastwood’s intentions don’t matter. He may have tried to cross tragic inevitability with some form of Christian forgiveness–of Jimmy, if not the child molesters–but if we’re doomed regardless of what we do or think, what’s the point of trying to clean up our act? We’re free of any obligation to act differently–yet also free to relish the nobility of our pain at the realization that we’ve done something wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement