Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thx Compli. Will try to catch up - although if Paleri Manikkam is still running here, it will receive first preference

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw minnaminnikoottam last week. Although it must have been a flop and not a significant movie, I couldnt help thinking what a fall for Malayalam cinema since the heady days if movies like this can even be made in Kerala
    Even Meera Jasmine couldnt save this dud

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pazhassi Raja completes 100 days. Few snaps of the posters/paper ads and celebrations that happened in the set where Mammootty is shooting now.

100th day Paper Ad.

http://i47.tinypic.com/vp9ag2.png

Banner celebrating the 100th day of Pazhassi and 50th day of Paleri Manickam.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2iiwg06.jpg

Fans poster comparing the two great historicals Oru Vadakkan Veera Ghadha and Pazhassi.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ll1tau.jpg

Pazhassi 100 days celebration at the set

http://i49.tinypic.com/2afh6p3.jpg

Plum,

Saw your quote in Kamal thread that Pazhassi had grossed only 10 Cr. Actually it is double the amount. We cannot even call it as gross. It is actually the amount that Producer Gopalan got back. Theatrical returns were huge making it as the biggest Blockbuster of all time Malayalam movies. The satellite, overseas and video rights have fetched the highest amount so far. So in all probability this won't hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas

After completing the above film and also finishing his Tamil Malayalam bilingual Vande Maataram, Mammootty has started shooting for Shaji Kailas directed "Drona" where he again plays a very different character. More of it later.
    The above mentioned movie is complete now and getting released on 27th of January. Touted as a Supernatural mystic thriller, Mammootty comes up in two different getups in the movie. The two different getups

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ETEuGX2_nG...y%2BPhotos.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ETEuGX2_nG...2B_20_.psd.jpg

Again this is going to be a wide release with more than 100 theatres charted [big thing for Kerala]. With this Shaji Kailas who is having a lean time hopes to make a come back.

Regards

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brahmaram...

Excellent performance by mohanlal. Heard that the film was not a BO success. Blessy's reign continues....

Moserbaer has released the dvd of the film...
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

Saw your quote in Kamal thread that Pazhassi had grossed only 10 Cr. Actually it is double the amount. We cannot even call it as gross. It is actually the amount that Producer Gopalan got back. Theatrical returns were huge making it as the biggest Blockbuster of all time Malayalam movies. The satellite, overseas and video rights have fetched the highest amount so far. So in all probability this won't hurt him.
    MS, you'd ofcourse know better than me. I read several conflicting accounts - with one or two accounts claiming Gopalan spent 27+ Crore on the movie, which didnt sound convincing to me so I settled for the account that said 17 Cr.

Post Thanks / Like
    BHRAMARAM...
    Got to see this movie in big screen last year.The movie absolutely blew me away. So when i got my eyes on a newly released DVD of the same film i snatched it both hands.

Phew..what a movie..really haunting !!! I have seen some of Blessy's previous attempts like Kaazcha and Thanmaatra..both were extremely good as well. But Bhramaram truly turns out to be his best, IMO.

Actually it is a simple story of revenge but the way blessy deals or present his subject makes all the difference. What it ultimately turns out is a 'dig-deep' into the phsycic of a character who is so wayward in mind, on the edge of phsycic disorder.

The movie begins with Sivankutty played by Mohanlal reaching Coimbatore in search of his old school-mate.He was in with a purpose which at first wasn't clear to his friend-played by Suresh menon (i think,...he is known to host some comedy programs in hindi channels).But later he has to face some sour-truths...i'm not elaborating.
    The film in second half turns into a 'road-movie' type as well.
    The movie is somewhat slow at places and also doesn't have much commercial or entertainment elements.However for a true cinema lover,it is a gem to look deep into.

This movie for once reminded me of an old masterpiece from master director Bharathan- 'Thazhvaram'...but on the whole blessy's movie is well different from that classic although it gives a similar feel at places.

Anyhow, if there is one reason why to watch bramaram, that is none other than Sri. Mohanlal. Brilliant is just not enough a word to describe his perfomance in the movie...Effortlessly displaying the various facets,emotions and phases of the character whose reactions are varying almost like a pendulum.No words to describe it .Just for you to see and interpret.
    Most others in cast were good as well

Blessy's script was excellent as well though maybe he could have developed the side characters even better. Also, Bhoomika as Lal's wife and the child artist playing his daughter were not that good. But considering they have little part to play,it was ok.

Camera by Ajay was brilliant and so was the begium. Songs by Mohan Sitara sounded at few places somewhat like some old IR tunes ..ofcourse it was good to hear.

Truly one of the best movies i have seen in any language in the recent years.
    Life doesn't have flashbacks but memories have

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    Brahmaram...

Excellent performance by mohanlal. Heard that the film was not a BO success. Blessy's reign continues....

The movie, from what i heard, was a decent success in the BO...atleast it got its production cost back, i suppose. But not a big hit which is not a surprse for these kind of movies.

BTW, complicateur, haven't you watched this movie..??
    Life doesn't have flashbacks but memories have

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see... I knew that the film was not in the same league of Kaazhcha and Thanmathra in terms of BO success but fared well better than Palungu and Calcutta News..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    Brahmaram...

undeniably, the best performance by any Indian actor in 2009 for me! Thanks a ton to Blessy for reminding that Lal can still produce such gems as only he can, amidst all the mindless masala he does nowadays!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="complicateur"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum

Anyway here is my take on Ividam SwargamANu.

For many a month I have decried the loss of the mid 80’s aesthetic in Malayalam cinema. My initial impression after I left Sangam Cinema’s after Rosshan Andrews’ Ividam SwargaMANu, was that someone had finally heard my personal grievance and decided to address it. But on further deliberation I’ve changed my tune. Andrews’ is far to given to meticulous preparation for his characters to have the organic arc that the ones in that golden age. Nonetheless, his brand of filmmaking is certainly a few steps above what currently passes for mainstream cinema in Malayalam these days.

Lal is as usual adequate with his brilliance breaking through in a couple of sequences. Writing “while his words portrayed confidence his body language did not” is a fairly simple stringing together of words. Navigating half a minute of screen time that naturally convinces you that Maththai is experiencing these conflicting emotions is a different ball game and it takes an actor of Lal’s caliber to execute this effortlessly.
    fabulously written...undoubtedly, the best of malayalam cinema of 2009 along with Pazhassi Raja, Bhramaram, Kerala Cafe!

Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast