Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Junior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    DHRISHYAM. We can say Mohanlal's lifetime movie in line with Chitram, Manicnithrathaazh and Kreedam. What a subtle acting! The plot is absorbing and exciting thanks to Jeethu Joseph's brilliant direction. The scene stealer is Kalabhavan Jo as constable Sagadevan. Aptly supported by Siddique, Meena and Asha Sarath as the IG. The children of George Kutty.. fantastic. Riveting climax and unforgettable camera work when Mohanlal returns and step out of the police station at the end, showing where the body was buried! Refreshing movie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gangster (2014) Starring Mammootty

An aging leader of crime syndicate, Akbar, operates in Manglore. A deal he refuses to carry out turns his world, both above and under, into shattered glass pieces which breaks him morally. His comeback and the payback makes him the monster Gangster.

If you liked Billa 2, you will find this film visually rich and narratively artistic (Directed by Aashiq Abu). I completely enjoyed the film, and the beauty is that the subplots are either the tiny expressions by the artists (mainly Mammootty) or the effective music that makes you narrate the back story yourself. That becomes the major drawback for the film, as it refuses to spoon feed the audience. Mammootty has just a page of 10 lines of awesome dialogues (Written by Ahmed Sidhique). The Villan (Sekhar Menon) is menancing. Music (Deepak Dev) is top notch. "Allahu Akbar" song is beautiful and breathtaking. Cinemotography (by Alby), esp. the Rajathan parts were fabulous. Art works were great. The flash back episode that draws our attention in the begining of the movie is worth a mention.

What would have disapointed many is the screen presence of Mammootty and the way he is presented. He seems not to do anything big as one would expect 'Mammootty' to do. But as the character Akbhar he is fit, fine and kicking. All his expressions and sharp looks are convincing. The film is crowded with so many characters hanging loosely, and all we can do is try to connect them and see, but they fail to come together or the film had some massive censor cuts or Producer cuts. Awesome characters, wasted completely in this naration, bad that we don't get to see an uncensored director cut for Indian movies atleast for Home Viewing purpose. The film grows a bit violent towards the end, viewers discretion recommended.

The main problem I had was the extensive show of narcotics, tobacco and alcohol usage, the same way I felt with the movie 'Honey Bee' too.

Gangster : "Akbar will pay you back"

Last edited by mappi; 2nd August 2014 at 04:14 AM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched a couple of Malayalam movies after a very long time and the thought that struck me was how much I have been missing in the last 2-3 years. Before which I used to regularly catch up with the new releases in theatres but of late couldn't. The Malayalam Film industry had really come off age if you could put it that way.

Drishyam - the one that I missed out in theatres in spite of it completing almost a 100 day run in a Chennai theatre. Not set in glittering metros but at the backdrop of high range village oozing with old world charm, it brought back fond memories. But the story telling is update and the gripping manner in which it unfolds is amazing. When it comes to mysteries, thrillers or investigation genre movies there are few industries that can stand up to Malayalam Films. Jeetu Joseph proudly carries that tradition foward [you should also see his film Memories].

Everyone in the film had done a fine job and it was heartening to see Lal in a common man's role after a long time and he is charming to the core. Two scenes -first one when he mischievously comment about being damn tired after the previous night's work in front of his daughters for which Meena [very nice portrayal] chides him for openly talking like this. Lal replies " avalude prayathil enikku idhinai kurichu onnum ariyaamelaayirunnu" to which Meena counters "Parachal kettal thonum ippo edhaandeikkeyo ariyaavanu" and walks back with mischief written all over her face. You must see Lal's reaction after this. Class!

Second scene to mention about is the one where he gets beaten up balck and blue by the police with his wife and children crying and pleading for mercy and he gets up from the floor and flick his eye lids! Typical Lalism and that smaal gesture simply lifts the scene to another level.

Siddique is apt and the arrogance of an IPS officer comes out nicely through Asha Sarath's portrayal. Not ot forget Kalabhavan Jo.

After seeing this (though I had my own doubts earlier too] I feel the Tamil remake may find it very difficult to match up to the original in spite of having Kamal.

Regards

5. Thanks Russellmai thanked for this post
    Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bangalore Days - The film that I saw in theatre after a long time. New Age cinema where more than the story, building up of incidents happens to be the backbone of the screenplay. That helps what would have been a story in a nutshell getting extended to 150 minutes of enjoyable fare. Kudos to Anjali Menon for making her directorail debut in a stunning fashion.

All the lead actors have fitted in to their characters like a T. Nazria is a live wire and carries the role of Divya effortelessly. Nivin Pauly [heard that he is the leading guy in Thattathin Marayathu and Neram but never seen him on screen] was adequate. Fahad as the brooding sombre Das [and later as the racer Siva in the flash back] was exactly looking like a man who had stepped out of an IT company. I must concede that I never thought that this guy would come so far after watching his debut movie Kaiyethum Doorathu way back in 2002. Parvathy and Nithya were ok.

Dulquer continues to surprise me. He is so natural, easy going and fits in to the character so well that you see only Aju and not the actor. Except for the walk and the booming metallic voice, he is totally different from his father. Want to watch his other movies too.

Hope to see more of Anjali Menon as a director cum script writer.

Regards

7. Thanks Russellmai thanked for this post
    Likes mappi liked this post
    Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr.Fraud: B.Unnikrishnan as a script writer was tremendous in the Shaji Kailas directed "The Tiger". Especially the twist in the climax was stunning. But when he turned director, I have found his films to be underwhelming. Whether it was Smart city, Madambi, Pramani, all were just so so. Grand Master was good in parts but climax was a let down. Having this at the back of my mind sat down to watch Mr. Fraud.

The film opens up with a scene getting enacted 41 years back. Unni had used the Padmanabha Swamy Temple Vault treasure as the theme for his film and his story talks about one such Royal Family that keeps treasure in the underground cellars of their palace, which can be opened only after 41 years as per the court order. When the family gets ready to open the vault, a gang plans for the heist of the booty and Mohanlal as the kingpin of the heist team enters the palace as an evaluator and how he carries out the heist in the face of adversity forms the crux.

The storyline that promises to be an edge of the seat thriller fails to deliver in the celluloid format. Even the heist operation fails to arouse any adrenaline rush and just passes on. Some crucial points as for as logic is concerned also have a gaping hole and the one connecting factor between the lead characters happening on one single day seems to be cinematic rather than a natural happening.

Lal in a Salt and Pepper look tries to save the film but screenplay lets him down. Except for Siddique others even don't get decent screen time and the result is there for all to see.

Hope Unni gets back to his old days of script writing and comes out with a winner next time.

Regards

9. Thanks Russellmai thanked for this post
    Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murali Anna,

Anjali Menon's directorial debut is Manjadikuru.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ajay. That totally slipped out of my mind. I was only thinking about Usthadh Hotel which Anjali had scripted. Good that you are here!

Regards

Murali

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw parts of some movies

How Old Are You? - Manju Warriar's comeback movie. Saw the last 30-40 mins of it. Before this had seen some photos and watched ads featuring Manju and I was surprised to see her in shape with facial glow because 14 years is too long a time for an actress to have been away from the camera. But when I watched the movie, especially during closeups her face looked a bit odd in the sense as if it was wax coated. It took away the sheen on her face. May be she had undergone some plastic surgery, not sure.

Not able to comment much on the movie though since the portions that I saw related to the heroine addressing a seminar where she comes out of her shell and starts talking about the eco revolution rather the organic farming which the state minister presemt in the seminar takes up in all earnestness that culminates to her journey to Delhi where she is honoured and celebrated as a pioneer and the film ends with Manju informing over phone to her friend Kainha [5 Star & Pazhassi Raja fame] that she is going on a vacation to Europe. Must watch the full movie and this is what is going to be the comeback vehicle of Jyotika in the Tamil remake. Being a Roshan Andrews film this will not be disappointing, I hope.

Pattom Pole - Again I could see only the second half of the movie. Age old story of Hindu Boy getting hooked to Christian girl. Only novelty seems to be both the boy and girl elope to Tamilnadu and after some time come back to their home town due to ego clashes. They work in the same company afterwards and the usual factors associated with such type of situation, girl's parents planning to get her married to another guy and lovers deciding to again elope and getting caught in the act and the usual happy ending is what that was dished out.

As said nothing to write about except again to talk about Dulquer. This time as a Tamil Brahmin boy he is all cheerful and chirpy. His Tamil is good [schooled at Sishya, Adayar, Chennai] though not entirely blemishless. One can surely say that he brings in fresh air. Lalu Alex as the father of the girl was hisusual self. Nothing else stayed in mind. Maybe a proper watch may help.

Regards

13. Likes Russellmai liked this post
    Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr fraud was ok ok

Saw Aswamedham -- mindblowing is the word. Sheela rocked .. able support by satyan too

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Varsham

Watched a Mammootty movie in theatre after a long long time. Varsham which means rains or rainy season [Kaala Varsham] here symbolizes love and affection. It talks about the undue pressure that today’s children are made to undergo in the name of competitiveness which is again a fallout of the times we live in and parents’ anxiety to see their wards excel in all fields.

The story revolves around a nuclear family consisting of a single child with the bread winner engaged in running a Private Finance company, a concept unique to Kerala. While the father runs his business in a cut throat fashion his wife a forced home maker [always whining about leaving a banking career] indulges in gossip mongering and happenings in the colony in between her visits to beauty parlour. Husband and wife are always at logger heads but when it comes to exerting undue burden on their son they out wit each other. Father wants son to learn karate, go for cricket coaching [so that he can play IPL, become another Sachin] while mother wants him to go for swimming not because she feels it good but because the neighbour’s daughter has won a prize, Over and above the son needs to clear the Medical entrance exam which is the ultimate aspiration of the parents. And poor guy he is not that bright to do all these.

What happens when a tragedy hits them striking at the very root of their desire forms the crux of the story. How it shatters them and how all the materialistic desires that they were chasing becomes unsolicited and how life changes for them is shown in a poignant manner. How the nexus between the Private financiers [loan sharks] and the political circle and the machination that happen behind the screens to make their profits by hook or crook also plays a part in the protagonist’s life is clearly interwoven.

As a no holds barred business man with all ends and no means attitude in the first half and as the man crestfallen by the tragedy and later as a one wanting to help the under privileged, Mammootty fits the bill to the T. His emoting during the time of tragedy and later when he meets the boy whom he had financially helped for a heart surgery and the scene where he simply stares at the next door boy who had miraculously recovered from Leukemia all stand testimony to the fact how great an actor he is.

Asha Sharath the all pervading police official of Drishyam here takes up the role of the home maker and the Jaya Bharathi look like actress does her work neatly. As if it is a norm, all supporting artists play their part well as always. Camera captures the mood of the movie in the backdrop of rains the shoot having taken place in real time season.

If you are a person attached to old world values of love affection and relationship then you would love this. The length could have been trimmed a bit to ensure more focus.

Regards

16. Likes Russellmai liked this post
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast