Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    City of God

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber directhit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas View Post
    The Train

Not sure whether any Hindi Films had shown the Mumbai local stations so extensively. The camera simply travels with the train to and fro. One thing that needs to be said is the novelty factor. The way the story is told, I don't think that any Indian film's screenplay would have been narrated in this manner though not aware about this technique having been used in Hollywood films. Don't want to spill the beans on what exactly I mean, since people like Ajay/Anoop might want to catch the movie. But I am equally sure that 8 out of 10 people who watched the movie would not have even noticed that.

Sad that such an attempt is not getting the appreciation due. Only if Jayaraj had been little more enterprising ---
    Murali Sir, watched this last week - cud hv been much better, but with the kinda movies Mammookka has been signing off late, i'd take this even with his extended guest kinda role. And he is above 60 yrs

hv to watch Venicile - but bad print online. Got Beautiful movie - read good reviews about it, next in line ...
    Till the full stop doesn't come, the sentence is not complete - MSD

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anoop,

I have not seen Beautiful. Heard about it but due to the tensions that were there during December, not sure whether this came to Chennai because last 2,3 weeks a spate of releases have hit Chennai like Casanova, Spanish Masala, Marubhoomi Kadha etc. Couldn't watch anything. Heard that Casanova being touted as the costliest production ever in Malayalam is so so. Was there just for a week here in Chennai and was removed. Goes to show that what I heard may be true.

Meanwhile, Ikka's son Dulquar made his debut sans any fanfare yesterday. Titled Second Show, this low budget movie was directed by a debutant Srinath Rajendran. He never got advertised as Ikka's son. The story is not a great one but treatment is what it makes it different, goes the reports. The movie which opened with 60% audience yesterday morning and matinee had got a great WOM by evening, that it seems that crowds were thronging the theatres all over Kerala for yesterday evening and night shows. Reports say that he has got 60% of that magnetic voice of his father, which should stand him in good stead.

Sify' review

‘The King’ has ruled the screen for quite a while and now, it’s the time for the prince to get some attention! Mega Star Mammootty’s son Dulquer Salmaan makes his entry into Malayalam cinema in an emphatic way, with his maiden movie, Second Show, directed by debutant Srinath Rajendran. Yes, the movie is far from perfect, which is perhaps is somewhat expected with almost the entire cast ‘n’ crew comprising of new faces. But it is Dulquer’s amazing screen presence and a matured acting style that makes the movie an engaging watch.

Harilal aka Lalu (Dulquer Salmaan) is narrating his story to a stranger, while waiting for the bus on a rainy night. He has been some kind of a reckless youth all along, who will risk his life for his friends and they all don’t take life with any kind of seriousness. In the pursuit of some quick bucks they are ready to do anything and tread with danger.
    They live in some rural town and his friends have such strange names as Kurudi, Vikatan, Neerali and so on. Gouthami Nair plays Lalu’s ‘murappennu’ in an interesting romantic track. Rohini, Baburaj, Kunjan and Bollywood actor Sudesh Berry include the experienced line up.

Though the film has a rather shaky start especially in the first half, director Srinath Rajendran and scenarist Vini Viswalal have managed to get things on track in the second half. The sincerity with which the film has been made is evident all along and the eagerness to experiment needs to be appreciated.

The lack of experience is evident at times but then, why don’t the seasoned directors in Malayalam never dare to come up with something different from the usual formulaic stuff? Malayalam cinema is highly in need of new experiments and this film, which at times reminds of the pattern followed by some of the Latin American movies, could be seen as a step in that direction.

Pappu’s visuals get a bit messy at times, as the makers try to make things perhaps too realistic. The music by Nikhil Rajan and Avial Band suits the mood. The background score by Rex Vijayan adds to the effect.

As the end titles start rolling, we realize that the film belongs to Dulquer, who has done his role with the kind of maturity that is rarely seen these days among the young actors. He’s got that indescribable star quality to him which is so rare to find and what's more is that he can act.

The rest of the fresh faces in the cast fumbles at times, but has done a highly impressive job in general. Watch out for a really nice performance from Baburaj, who can bring a smile during the brief period when he is there on screen.
    The film could have been better, no two ways about it. But the team needs to get a pat on their back for their willingness to try something new. Ultimately, it's an above average film, at best time-pass viewing. Watch it with no expectations and if you’re ready to think unconventional, this film could be a nice option.

Verdict: Above Average

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Indian rupee- very good....Thilakan was just out of the world....As for prithviraj- at last a movie he could be proud of after a long time.....the pre climax scene with jagathy was the best scene according to me....

Post Thanks / Like
    thx Murali Sir - yes heard good things abt his son.. yet to watch any Malayalam movies - busy with 24 - Season 4

Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Srinivasan View Post
    Indian rupee- very good....Thilakan was just out of the world....As for prithviraj- at last a movie he could be proud of after a long time.....the pre climax scene with jagathy was the best scene according to me....
    Vargam, Vaasthavam, Akale, Classmates, Thalapaavu, City of God, and Indian Rupee - a lot of quite good movies in his short span so far. Indian Rupee is perhaps his best one, thx largely to Ranjith - hv u seen Pranjiyettan? - another wonderful movie from Ranjith

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Shakthiprabha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    varthamanakalam

urvashi as arunthathi menon. Good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by directhit View Post
    thx Murali Sir - yes heard good things abt his son.. yet to watch any Malayalam movies - busy with 24 - Season 4

Vargam, Vaasthavam, Akale, Classmates, Thalapaavu, City of God, and Indian Rupee - a lot of quite good movies in his short span so far. Indian Rupee is perhaps his best one, thx largely to Ranjith - hv u seen Pranjiyettan? - another wonderful movie from Ranjith
    Yes i've seen pranchiyettan and the saint and i enjoyed it...Ranjith really is a man with the midas touch.....as for prithviraj guess the mindless masala flicks he did in between like puthiya mukham , pokiri raja and tejabai really brought down his value....i had the misfortune of watching all the above mentioned movies...but indian rupee made it up.....along with this, vaasthavam, classmates and thalapaavu are right at the top of the list....excellent movies all of them.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw how good is loud speaker......never had the time to watch it.....I might buy the dvd if it is good enough....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Srinivasan View Post
    Btw how good is loud speaker......never had the time to watch it.....I might buy the dvd if it is good enough....
    Loud Speaker - more of a Mammookka/Jayaraj movie more than anything else.. he appears quite late into the film and since its more of an art film cud test your patience till then if its not ur cup of tea. His characterization is quite funny and once he comes in, the movie is very enjoyable (lol i am biased!). Though cliched, I liked the ending a lot... not as good as Jayaraj/mammokka's best, but a recommended watch

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arvind,

That LS is a good film is what I also read and heard, though I had not seen it.[One movie of Mammookka that I missed out in the last decade or so].The hairstyle of Mammootty itself would be different and he plays a villager from the high range districts. Not sure whether you are aware of the life style of people in places like Idukki, Kattapanna, Kothamangalam, Thodupuzha that are situated in the mountains that are in and around Kottayam, the central Travancore area, which has a predominantly Christian Majority population and representing one such character [the character name is Philiphose but called as Mike in the movie because of his loud voice] is Mammootty. I heard that Sasikumar the MD of Asianet was specially roped in to play another important role [on the specific recommendation of Mammootty] and he also did a fairly good job it seems!

Don't want to spoil your fun! Watch it and share it here!

Regards

Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast