Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post. I wrote an article in Tamil on Adoor Gopalakrishnan's "Nizhalkuthu". Please read and let me know your feedback.

http://solvanam.com/?p=17800
    Suresh:

Just finished reading your review of NIZHALKUTHU. You have done an excellent job bringing out the subtle intricacies of the movie in particular, and Adoor's style of narrating a story in general. He makes great movies, admired all over the world, but not very successful commercially at the Indian box office!

By the way, Adoor got some bad press in 2003 for reportedly criticizing the National Awards Committee for giving the best actor award to Ajay Devgan (The Legend of Bhagat Singh) instead of Oduvil Unnikrishnan who was also nominated for Nizalkuthu.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber directhit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    DH,

Watched Best Actor and enjoyed it a lot. Cocktail is the indian version of 'Butterfly on a wheel'nu Jinju sonnaar. So I let go the movie.
    Best Actor was ok for me with the kind of expecatations i've from Mammookka.. yes cocktail is inspired - i hadnt seen the original though and it had Samvrutha
    Till the full stop doesn't come, the sentence is not complete - MSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Srinivasan View Post
    Appidi ennaga prachana fanskku avaru mela....read in an article that he was being targeted
    has a bit of background to it, Prithvi's dad Sukumaran is also a no nonsense guy who believes in speaking out what he believed in. Prithvi is also like that to an extent. With no one yet to replace the 2Ms in malayalam Prithvi had a great start to his career with Nandanam, Akale etc...

now in certain interviews he gave for the media, for certain questions on 2M's his answers were quite honest and daring! He answered that they should stick to their age and act in specific roles, and that it is an insult to their talent to be dancing around with girls half their age etc etc.. Most of what he said is true and is in everyone's mind but no one speaks out, he did!

Also after 2Ms in malayalam, there is only Dileep (there was Suresh Gopi some years back, he has fizzled out already). With Prithvi's arrival, its him who is in danger and looks like he has gone all out in hiring people for cat calls in theatre and in spreading sms whenever his movies release etc (there is also a rumour it cud be Mohanlal behind, but it wudnt be him since he doesnt have much to lose from Prithvi). Also adding onto the fuel are the fans of 2Ms who are obviously irked by such remarks.. all in all a bad time to be Prithvi

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by directhit View Post
    has a bit of background to it, Prithvi's dad Sukumaran is also a no nonsense guy who believes in speaking out what he believed in. Prithvi is also like that to an extent. With no one yet to replace the 2Ms in malayalam Prithvi had a great start to his career with Nandanam, Akale etc...

now in certain interviews he gave for the media, for certain questions on 2M's his answers were quite honest and daring! He answered that they should stick to their age and act in specific roles, and that it is an insult to their talent to be dancing around with girls half their age etc etc.. Most of what he said is true and is in everyone's mind but no one speaks out, he did!

Also after 2Ms in malayalam, there is only Dileep (there was Suresh Gopi some years back, he has fizzled out already). With Prithvi's arrival, its him who is in danger and looks like he has gone all out in hiring people for cat calls in theatre and in spreading sms whenever his movies release etc (there is also a rumour it cud be Mohanlal behind, but it wudnt be him since he doesnt have much to lose from Prithvi). Also adding onto the fuel are the fans of 2Ms who are obviously irked by such remarks.. all in all a bad time to be Prithvi

Thanks for that...Prithvi seems to have struck gold with 'Indian rupee' though....with what i've heard so far, it seems to be quite good.....waiting for the official dvd release.....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber wizzy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by directhit View Post

Prithivirajappan videos have massive following in youtube...he tries really hard though

Gaana Kalaadhara Gandharva Gaana Lola Kaliyuga Gaana Thilaga
    Nadha Brahma Kochchappa Brother Seshappa

Post Thanks / Like
    i like his interviews no nonsense answers.. there was an interview during onam i guess which was super.. wud post links later. he also praised Rajini a lot in that..

Post Thanks / Like
    Marykkundoru Kunjaadu - nothing great to write about. Expected atleast 4-5 scenes to laugh out loud with Dileep in the movie.. disappointed. Maybe I should go and rewatch Vettam for the laughs! Only thing good in the movie was the Salim character and the important scene for him... with that seen I started watching Adam inte Magan Abu

Halfway through Adam inte Magan Abu - a bit slow, still very engrossing so far...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ChinaTown on Asianet. Utter, Unadulterated, Tasteless, Stale Tripe. So bad that I regretted not watching Villu on Kalaignar TV instead.(Bleddy didn't realise Surya was showing Salt 'n Pepper in parallel )

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venicile Vyaapaari

Compared to the last 6-7 years, Mammootty had a very lean patch in 2011 and this movie released at the fag end of the year though is not able to plug back all those holes, still manages to sustain interest.

The reviews from Kerala were not encouraging though they said that the second half was a let down and so I had nil expectations. But as it happens the second half is ok, though it could have been handled better.

The film is set in 1980 [though there is no compelling reason for it to be so] but the director has not bothered to be very true to that backdrop. Though the opening scenes gives a hint that it is going to be crime investigation, after the first 20 mins it is put on the back burner only to be brought back in the last 20 mins. Not that it makes any difference. The story happens in Alapuzha [known as Venice of the east] for the title justification.

The protagonist's role has grey shades and the screenplay neatly deficits how the lure of big money makes one manipulative in his actions making use of everyone as a tool for achieving his goals. For Mammootty he would have sleep walked this role at any given point of time and he does it here also. Kavya Madhavan despite being plumb manages to hold interest. JAgathy, Suraj and Salim Kumar do evoke laughter at few places.

James Albert the man behind Classmates, Cycle and Ividam Swargamaanu had written the script and only if the second half had been made crispier, director Shafi would have hit a hat trick with Mammootty [Mayavi and Chattambi Nadu being the other two].

Regards

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    City of God

One of the better malayalam movies I watched last year. It's not a typical indian movie. It's raw and follows a non-liner hyperlink cinema style. I won't spoil you with the plot details but you need to watch the movie closely so as not to miss the story telling. Not that it's a great movie. There are some typical cliched characters & scenes but I think can watch it for the presentation.

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast