Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas View Post
    Jinju,

I saw CB today evening and exactly my thoughts. Sarath got a big response from the crowd. Dileep raised a few laughters but overall felt disappointed. Failed to understand why Lal keeps on faltering with the scripts.

Regards
    MS, i don't think anyone signs Sibi-Udayan films after reading the scripts in the first place, coz they don't usually have one!!! they do crass masala aimed at the BO, and unfortunately most of them work...gotta grudgingly admit that.

Finally, got to see Pranchiyettan & The Saint. Thanks a ton to Renjith for reassuring again that good commercial cinema in Malayalam is still alive! This is something that I can watch multiple times...that crazy first half is more than enuff! Though the script seems to wander at places and a bit of illogicality creeps in in the second half, it can be overlooked given the bigger picture that Renjith was trying to convey...richly layered writing!!! On the performance front, Mammookka and Innachan were tops! So reassuring to see that Innocent hasn't lost his touch unlike Jagadeesh, etc. Priyamani was pretty fine in her small part too. Eagerly waiting for Renjith's next, as always.
    Last edited by jinju; 20th March 2011 at 02:31 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    August 15 - went with a lot of expectations but movie turned out to be just ok or shall I say average? It lacks the thrill and pace that is required of an investigative thriller. SN Swamy has rehashed the original August 1 in all aspects but the original was something different. Mammootty as usual is the saving grace but shouldering the entire responsibilty with a weak script is telling on the screen.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    ThoovanathumbigaL (thanks to compli - first for a bunch of cd's he loaned me)

Very impressive.
    But I was severely held back by the lack of subtitles. I could see it was a movie where latching on to the conversation in detail was very important.
    Nesst meet paNNuvOm.

Yet again amazed by Mohanlal performance.
    As Vivs. mentioned once, its like he has no idea that there's a camera around !
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post
    ThoovanathumbigaL

Very impressive.
    நான் முன்னமே ஹப்-பில் சொல்லி இருக்கேன்

Good that I got that CD when family was away for a month. Could enjoy multiple repeats. All three - Lal / Sumalatha / Parvathy were awesome in that film.

Lal is a given. However, Sumalatha - who was never considered any good in TF and was offered mostly so-so movies / roles but had a decent career in MF - was effortless too.

The "அலட்சியம்" exhibited by her was of unusual category...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber directhit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post
    ThoovanathumbigaL (thanks to compli - first for a bunch of cd's he loaned me)

Very impressive.
    But I was severely held back by the lack of subtitles. I could see it was a movie where latching on to the conversation in detail was very important.
    Nesst meet paNNuvOm.

Yet again amazed by Mohanlal performance.
    As Vivs. mentioned once, its like he has no idea that there's a camera around !
    recently youtubed and watched again... Lal rocks as usual in such roles PR, anga inga dialogue miss pannirundheenganaa refer pannikunga - this one is with english subs - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...C4E802703D26B6
    Till the full stop doesn't come, the sentence is not complete - MSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Murali Sir, thx for the tons of info... looks like Mammookka is for a year of hits and then a year of flops

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched Rafi Mecartin's Chinatown yesterday. a perfect Vishu outing with the family. The 3 best leads that Malayalam cinema has produced in regards to comedy; Lalettan, Dileep, and Jayaram are in full form here, along with Suraj! a no logic, no brainer film, me and my family laughed our butts off. It's been sometime in Malayalam since such a comedy entertainer. Though the pace dips in the second half, overall it is a hilarious outing!

DH, the two Ms as Plum had mentioned somewhere, take turns like the political parties of Kerala in terms of hits and flops!
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jinju View Post
    DH, the two Ms as Plum had mentioned somewhere, take turns like the political parties of Kerala in terms of hits and flops!
    yeah... saw Christian brothers - Suresh Gopi was good in his role, not mouthing insane english dialogues and keeping it low. Sarath is so smart in such roles, hope he does a good tamil movie, an investigation office or something ala Kamal's VV.

Lal and Dileep has very little to do - Lal's heroism was a bit jaded, he usually is awesome doing larger than life characters, in this movie he is not even his 50% best. But gotto appreciate the multistarrers whatever be the output.Gotto watch August 15th now - am expecting a worst movie going by reviews

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anoop & Jinju,

You are right or shall I say that majority of Ikka Fans were right in predicting the fate of Doubles. Saw it yesterday. A very weak story with poorly written screenplay. [Heard that Sachi & Sethu are a promising pair of script writers but no traces of it here]. Normally a debutant director would try to showcase his first movie with interesting twists and turns but Seenu Sohanlal must be one [out of the innumerable directors that Mammootty has introduced] who has failed to capitalise on the offer. Even Mam who normally try to pep up the proceedings seems to be going through the motions here. Nadia is a pale shadow of herself. Many artists from Tamil Cinema like Y.Gee.M, Suresh and Anandaraj have nothing much to do. Even James Vasanthan who makes his debut in Malayalam is not able to churn out even a decent number.

Hope Mammookka bounces back in the coming months!

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas View Post
    Anoop & Jinju,

You are right or shall I say that majority of Ikka Fans were right in predicting the fate of Doubles. Saw it yesterday. A very weak story with poorly written screenplay. [Heard that Sachi & Sethu are a promising pair of script writers but no traces of it here]. Normally a debutant director would try to showcase his first movie with interesting twists and turns but Seenu Sohanlal must be one [out of the innumerable directors that Mammootty has introduced] who has failed to capitalise on the offer. Even Mam who normally try to pep up the proceedings seems to be going through the motions here. Nadia is a pale shadow of herself. Many artists from Tamil Cinema like Y.Gee.M, Suresh and Anandaraj have nothing much to do. Even James Vasanthan who makes his debut in Malayalam is not able to churn out even a decent number.

Hope Mammookka bounces back in the coming months!

Regards
    My plan was to catch up with Chinatown on Vishu day and watch this one tomorrow, knowing the history of debutant directors n Mammootty, but reviews all over seem to suggest it's a disaster, so staying away from this. Sachi-Sethu are very good indeed, but have recently been prone to average stuff like Robinhood and now this.
    Last edited by jinju; 16th April 2011 at 02:01 PM.
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast