Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks sarna, i thot u got angry!yeah, Rajamanikyam is in fact the highest grosser in malayalam cinema ever i believe...i don't have any issues with that film and we revisit it often on dvd...the problem is, the prajapathys and pokkirirajas are increasing just like after one superb Narasimham, so many Prajas and Onnamans increased!

in fact, yesterday me and a friend of mine were having a discussion on this same issue in a malayalam movie forum which we are members of, and telling that in tamil cinema there is equal space, respect, and BO recognition given for a Paiyya, a Naadodigal, a VTV, an Angadi Theru, a Vettaikkaran, etc...whereas in malayalam, good films don't make money at BO whereas substandard remakes/mass masala get undeserved recognition.

One cannot blame the makers alone for making such films again and again, coz afterall it's a business and like any, has to be successful...u can see all the gud recommended movies ajay n myself have given to Cinefan in this thread and yet, a majority of these were failures at the BO which doesn't encourage such endeavors in the future!

Cinefan, btw i forgot a notable movie...check out Passenger, a totally different movie whereas malayalam cinema is concerned...no songs, no heavy duty action, but a relevant theme of today's times...starring Dileep and Srinivasan...available on dvd...was released last year and won him many awards for the best newcomer prodigy in screenplay and direction...a thriller kind of a film that covers the happenings of 2 days in the lives of a couple of passengers who meet on a train...makes a lot of social comments about our society!
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarna
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    As for Mammotty,cannot even imagine him dancing
    In Rajamanickam(???) one kuththu song is there where Rahman will be dancing. Mammooty will come and stand as if he is going to dance but he wont dance. He will repeat this for 3 to 4 times in that song and finally he will shake his hands and legs and go
    adha vudunga, in this pokkiriraja movie there's a moonwalk step done by a dupe trying to pass off as mammootty but making it so obvious...it's the biggest joke going on in kerala as of now that he cud be the only actor in indian cinema who has used a dupe in a dance scene...in a recent film called red chillies, in a brahmin family pooja room Mohanlal's foto will be kept along with the other Gods, and the dialogues go like "iyaal ente bhagavan" (translates to he's my God!) and he plays a don in the movie , of course one with a gud heart! don't understand what is the need for these guys to stoop to such levels...
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes... That dupe part was annoying. Mammootty doesnt need to prove that he is a good dancer and I dont think there would be a single soul who watches Mammookka movies for his dance.

Apart from the dupe, he also tries a real 'moonwalk' where he doesnt move an inch but the floor moves.. That was more funny..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    Yes... That dupe part was annoying. Mammootty doesnt need to prove that he is a good dancer and I dont think there would be a single soul who watches Mammookka movies for his dance.

Apart from the dupe, he also tries a real 'moonwalk' where he doesnt move an inch but the floor moves.. That was more funny..
    oh..mammookka tried to dance...now thats a concern for mal cinema..running out of ideas or trying to copy tamil films...
    Say My Name

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jinju for the 'Passenger' recommendation.Am trying to watch them one by one.Pls keep them coming.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    I see. Watched Brahmaram couple of months back and was left speechless for the next 1 hour. Mohanlal is an actor with unmatched prowess..
    Watched the movie couple of days back. Wasnt that impressed with the movie. Movie started off well, but somewhere in the middle lost its track or was bit drag. Last 30 minutes was quite good. btwn do you know the language?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.. I do.. Most ppl from Kanyakumari dist do know the language..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pokkiri Raja

I know what was in store as I regularly keep track of Malayalam movies which are on the floors/which are on the making stage. So there were no expectations. But still the film failed to even touch me. It was a typical masala pot boiler. Having seen Mammootty perform in a variety of roles during the golden period of Malyalam cinema, this was a total let down.

Not that I am more interested in Sukurtham, Mrigyaa type of charaterisations. I can and did enjoy Raja Manickam but this was not ok.

May be having seen Pazhassi and Ahamed Haji recently might have made me feel like this. But the alarming trend is the reception such movies are getting in Kerala. It has broken all existing collection records in it's first 2 weeks. Even here in Chennai, the unending whistle and applause during the introduction scene of Mammootty made me wonder whether I am really watching a Malayalam movie or Tamil.

Would wait for Shaji Karun's Kutty Srank and Gopikrishnan the Chief of Intelligence Bureau, Southern Region [Vande Maatram]. Meanwhile would have to search for Mike Philiphose of Loud Speaker as it has not been released here.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    MS bro,

Where did you watch the movie? I saw it in PVR. The crowd response made me like the movie even better.

Mammooty also joins hands with Amal Neered again for 'Son of Alexander'. Did u know that?

- Bernard Shaw

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Ajay,

I saw it in Sangam -yesterday evening show.

Regarding the film with Amal Neerad which is supposed to be the sequel to Saamraajiyam, it is only in drawing board stage. Amal Neerad with all fairness to him makes tehnically great movies but they lack in substance. Big B, definitely one of the most stylished movie ever made in malayalam lacked depth and Amal's Saagar Alias Jockey, I heard [I have not seen] was a big let down for even hardcore Lal fans.

Mammookka is all set to make his debut in Kannada. He is in Bangalore and might have started shooting. Titled Shikkaari, it has Mammootty playing a dual role. One is that of a IT Professional. Accidentally he starts reading a book given by his friend, which tells the story of a hunter and his beloved. The book is set in pre-independence period and the IT Professional has a strange feeling that the hunter in more ways than one resembles him. He gets into that fantasy world which becomes the turning point of the film. This is being directed by Abay Sinha, who I am given to understand is a promising upcoming youngster. The movie would also have it's Malayalam version and the grapewine is Mammootty himself may write the dialogues for it.

His next Malyalam movie would be Oru Cinema Kadhai. Again this is directed by a new comer Prakkat Martin who was a professional photographer. It is a story of a teacher/lecturer trying his hand at cinema. The screenplay is by Vipin chandran, who wrote for Daddy Cool.

And as I said earlier his next release would be the Tamil - Malayalam bi-lingual Vandhe Maatharam which also has Arjun playing an important role. His Shaji Karun directed Kutty shrank had already won awards in International film festivals but it's theatrical release is awaited.

Regards

Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast