Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    Pokkiri Raja..

Went to the theatre after reading Jinju's review. My expectation level was at rock bottom. I just wanted to wile away the time for 3 hours and opted for PR since it was running in a theatre near my house.

This film is more like Rajamanikyam. Replace Bellari Raja with Madurai Raja, Rahman with Prithviraj, South Travancore malayalam with 'dabba' english and you get Pokkiri Raja. Every scene of the movie was predictable as I have been following tamil cinema for 25 odd years.. But I have to admit that the mallu crowd in the theatre enjoyed the movie a lot and I could sense that the movie is churning out to be a superhit/blockbuster. Its running to full house in chennai and that's a good sign irrespective of the standard of the film.

Mammooty as Madurai Raja was worth watching. His charisma saves the second half of the film with the first half saved by Suraj Venjaramoodu and Salimkumar. The second half was a bit lenghty. An intelligent editor could'Ve been opted when it is one of the most anticipated projects of the year.

Just go to the theatre, leaving your brains at home. You'l definitely have a fun ride. Unadulterated mass masala!
    aaanggg! ungalukku pudichudha?! maybe the diprnce in expectation levels as u mentioned...

enakku indha padavum naan paatha perarasu padangalkkum romba diprnce thonala...and, i don't like to see these kind of films in malayalam...tamilla ok, appdi oru milieu irukku, so it's fun to watch...adhuvum illaama my wifey was like 'why why why waste a sunday afternoon for this?'nu after the film...adhanaala dhaan en reviewla avlo kovam ....! and Rajamanikyam was a far better product than this i feel, though the genre is same, but Anwar Rasheed is miles ahead of Vysakh and Mammootty more in control of the character graph in RM...

yeah the movie will turn out to be a success in Kerala, which doesn't speak much coz Sura is the only success in Kerala till now this year and also Happy Husbands (a trash remake of no entry which in turn was remake of a prabhu-prabhudeva starrer) than a TD Dasan VIB, a film which in earlier time wud've at least got a 25-day run in kerala but today is squeezed out by crass commercial ventures and doesn't even get a decent 2-week run or even Paleri Manikyam, mammootty's best in recent times that met with a disastrous bo response and the producer re-released it after it got a few state awards but the result was same as earlier coz our guys prefer Vijays n Allu Arjuns nowadays! a well made Sathyan Anthikkad movie (with all his cliches intact though) is struggling to pick up i hear though it's supposed to be one of his best ones in recent times...enna thaan panrathu...kedakkradha vechu santhosappadavendiyadhu dhaan!
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raghavendran
    prithvi malayalam industryukku oru slow death irukkunnu feel panraru...no young gud directors,scriptwriters it seems
    slow death ellaam ille...death aayi oru varshathukku mela aachu...no gud young actorsnum sollalaam koodave...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sarna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jinju

enakku indha padavum naan paatha perarasu padangalkkum romba diprnce thonala...and, i don't like to see these kind of films in malayalam...tamilla ok, appdi oru milieu irukku, so it's fun to watch...adhuvum illaama my wifey was like 'why why why waste a sunday afternoon for this?'nu after the film...adhanaala dhaan en reviewla avlo kovam ....! and Rajamanikyam was a far better product than this i feel, though the genre is same, but Anwar Rasheed is miles ahead of Vysakh and Mammootty more in control of the character graph in RM...

yeah the movie will turn out to be a success in Kerala, which doesn't speak much coz Sura is the only success in Kerala till now this year and also Happy Husbands (a trash remake of no entry which in turn was remake of a prabhu-prabhudeva starrer) than a TD Dasan VIB, a film which in earlier time wud've at least got a 25-day run in kerala but today is squeezed out by crass commercial ventures and doesn't even get a decent 2-week run or even Paleri Manikyam, mammootty's best in recent times that met with a disastrous bo response and the producer re-released it after it got a few state awards but the result was same as earlier coz our guys prefer Vijays n Allu Arjuns nowadays! a well made Sathyan Anthikkad movie (with all his cliches intact though) is struggling to pick up i hear though it's supposed to be one of his best ones in recent times...enna thaan panrathu...kedakkradha vechu santhosappadavendiyadhu dhaan!
    enne oru uyarndha ullam
    ஊரு வம்ப பேசும்
    அட உண்மை சொல்ல கூசும்
    போடும் நூறு வேஷம்
    தினம்
    பொய்ய சொல்லி ஏசும்
    ஏ தில்லா டாங்கு டாங்கு
    அட என்னா உங்க போங்கு

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What he meant was Tamil has scope for both Masala and offbeat movies. So it won't affect the standard much if a masala film releases once in a while. Tirupaachi oduna oorilathaane Autographum oduchu?

But Malayalam films are known only for their classy movies. Masala movies have never been their forte.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    What he meant was Tamil has scope for both Masala and offbeat movies. So it won't affect the standard much if a masala film releases once in a while. Tirupaachi oduna oorilathaane Autographum oduchu?

But Malayalam films are known only for their classy movies. Masala movies have never been their forte.
    //I vehemently object //

Ajay, I got ur point
    ஊரு வம்ப பேசும்
    அட உண்மை சொல்ல கூசும்
    போடும் நூறு வேஷம்
    தினம்
    பொய்ய சொல்லி ஏசும்
    ஏ தில்லா டாங்கு டாங்கு
    அட என்னா உங்க போங்கு

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unga aadhangam enakku puriyudhu... Adhu vera department!
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Sarna, naanum vijay films rasichu paakkra aal dhaan from his Coimbatore Maappillai days but don't enjoy a Mammootty/Lal doing such kinda films at this point of their career, avvlo dhaan...i think i didn't put it across properly there...in fact, my wife told me "idhukku we could have watched Sura, at least Vijay punch dialogue adikkradhu, dance, fights panradhu paaakradhukku oru dhum irukkku!"nu...i meant in that vein...

if kamalhassan gives u Sivakasi/Thiruppaachi kinda films one after the other at this stage of the career, would u like it? in fact, i see lot of rajini n kamal fans impatient here that their projects r taking time to materialize, but it's the opposite we feel in kerala that kamal and rajini r so careful about their projects but the Ms are not...the problem lies in that there's no gud 2nd generation actors coming up which is not the case here...in fact, i don't mind a prithviraj giving a Puthiya Mugham which was in many ways paying homage to tamil/telugu mass formula coz he's a young and upcoming actor who aims to be a star...and i enjoyed that film with its own shortcomings...but with 2 legends at this stage of their caree, giving trash in the name of mass masala, just not on! KSR, trisha, kappal idhellaam padichappo inga irukkra naraya kamal fans eppdi aadhangappaattaangalo, appdi thaan Ms indha maadhiri project pannumbodhu enakkum some kich kich somewhere!

am not claiming tamil films r inferior in any way and malayalam films are/were superior, but ovvoru regionkkum oru nativity irukku...if u are traversing regions, then make something proper like Rajamanikyam which is enjoyable while catering to the traditional "mass masala" routine! hope i've made myself clear, and still if some of my comments hurt someone here, sincere apologies, degrading anything/anyone was/is not my intention!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    jinju,
    Cool!Think Sarna was just having fun pulling your leg.

Completely understand how you feel.I for one would not like to watch Mohanlal doing a punch dialogue spewing,fighting,dancing,crass movie esp after watching him in a Thanmathra,Unnai Pol oruvan,Devasuram or Thazhavaram.

As for Mammotty,cannot even imagine him dancing as my exposure to him has been through films like CBI diary kurippu,Dalapathy,Azhagan,Mounam Sammadham,the "Kadamai,Ganniyam,kattupadu" original,koodevide and one with Srividya I saw on DD in the 80's-dignified,majestic performances.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jinju, cool It was just for fun

Btw, I too enjoyed Rajamanickam when I watched it at ernakulam.... and at that time I felt it as a typical Vijay movie but mammooty doing FYKI, Rajamanickam ran for more than 100days in Ernakulam It shows that malayali's are expecting fun-filled entertaining movies.

I watched Prajapathy in theatre. Along with me and my friend only 10 peoples were in theatre that too 3rd day(Sunday) of release. Naangale poyi aapplula ukkaandhOm

Recently I watched Saleem(telugu) movie and had similar experience. But atleast here Ileana was there as punnukku marundhu.
    ஊரு வம்ப பேசும்
    அட உண்மை சொல்ல கூசும்
    போடும் நூறு வேஷம்
    தினம்
    பொய்ய சொல்லி ஏசும்
    ஏ தில்லா டாங்கு டாங்கு
    அட என்னா உங்க போங்கு

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    As for Mammotty,cannot even imagine him dancing
    In Rajamanickam(???) one kuththu song is there where Rahman will be dancing. Mammooty will come and stand as if he is going to dance but he wont dance. He will repeat this for 3 to 4 times in that song and finally he will shake his hands and legs and go
    ஊரு வம்ப பேசும்
    அட உண்மை சொல்ல கூசும்
    போடும் நூறு வேஷம்
    தினம்
    பொய்ய சொல்லி ஏசும்
    ஏ தில்லா டாங்கு டாங்கு
    அட என்னா உங்க போங்கு

Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast