Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Malayalam film did you watch recently ?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jinju.Have never seen a Blessy movie,with subtitles I would be very interested.Hope Pazhassi........ is also with subtitles.

Thirakkadha-the one supposedly based on the relationship between KH and Srividya???How is it?Also kerala cafe-good?

Please recommend some good movies as and when they are relased on DVD and also ones which are already out and worth watching.

Ona side note,don't know when the tamil film industry will start releasing original DVD's at least 6 months after theatrical release.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cinefan,

Pazhassi Raja,
    Thanmatra,
    Brahmaram,
    Kaazhcha,
    Kerala Cafe,
    Twenty 20,

All thse films have been released in DVD format. Give a try...
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ajay

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinefan
    Thanks jinju.Have never seen a Blessy movie,with subtitles I would be very interested.Hope Pazhassi........ is also with subtitles.

Thirakkadha-the one supposedly based on the relationship between KH and Srividya???How is it?Also kerala cafe-good?

Please recommend some good movies as and when they are relased on DVD and also ones which are already out and worth watching.

Ona side note,don't know when the tamil film industry will start releasing original DVD's at least 6 months after theatrical release.
    welcome...yes, all blessy films till date from Kaazhcha to Bhramaram are out on dvd with subtitles, priced at 100. Kaazhcha, Tanmatra, and Bhramaram r 3 blessy films one cannot afford to miss!

thirakkadha, yep based on the same relationship, directed by Renjith...also, if u can, try getting Kaiyyoppu dvd, it's out on Moserbaer...directed by Renjith and starring Mammootty n Khushboo...it's not much of commercial cinema and so may not be known to many outside kerala, but reminds one of the gud ol' days of malayalam cinema, it's the kind of cinema we crave to watch but get rarely nowadays...don't miss!

kerala cafe is a first of its kind experiment in malayalam cinema where 10 different short films directed by 10 different directors including lal jose, revathy, syamaprasad, anwar rasheed, anjali menon, shaji kailas, etc, all based on the concept of journey(call life's journey if u might)...around 5 of the short films r fantastic including revathy's, anwar's, and lal jose's and the remaining 5 range from gud to average...the cast include various stars of malayalam cinema ranging from mammootty, prithviraj, sreenivasan, to sureshgopi, dileep, etc...again, this daringly different attempt is helmed by director Renjith inspired from the French film Paris Je T'aime, which was an assortment of 10 short films...

about the latest n worth watching malayalam film dvds, will keep u posted...
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    blessy.... ...mammootty in kaicha....
    Say My Name

Post Thanks / Like
    Paleri manikyam the movie is perfect with minor ignorable flaws. a investigation movie with different narration,mamooty a private detective wants to solve the mystery behind the murder which happened 50 years ago,the murder happened on the same night he was born. He doesnt want to punish anyone since no suspects are alive.

a big bow to director Ranjith who given a perfect screenplay for this complex story,the way he handles the screenplay with 50 years ago flashback scenes and present scenes are ...

Cast all the actors given their best.
    Mamooty brilliant performance as the brutal..

Post Thanks / Like
    Narasimham..

I have watched this movie over ten times but still I have not got bored. Probably, Shaji Kailas' best film till date. Grapevine was that he has trying to remake this film as Janaa but finally ended up remaking Baasha. Had Ajith acted in Narasimham remake, it would'Ve well suited his image..
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    watched Pokkiriraja yesterday...2 prominent actors, shreya as heroine, an above 5 crore budget...a pity that with such riches at disposal, director Vysakh has made a film generously borrowing scenes and shots which are straight lifts from 80s Rajini movies and his follower Vijay movies...! Even more appalling is the approval he gets from an actor like Mammootty to go ahead with this project! The team behind this movie has seen the eroding taste of malayalam cinema audience of nowadays to come up with such trash, no wonder the film has taken a really good opening, but how long will it sustain the interest needs to be seen!

i did not expect anything else, going by the title and the scriptwriters namely sibikrishna-uday thomas (the pen behind cid moosa, e pattanathil bhootham etc), other than a timepass entertainer...the only entertainment this film offers r the scenes where comedians suraj and salimkumar appear...the first half would have fallen flat if not for the nonstop laughter these guys provide with their one liners n exceptional comic timing! apart from that, the first 15 minutes of the film itself convinces u that u r in for a torture ride...a village festival, the father of the 2 boys (our heroes) accidentally kills a boy from the rival group, the elder boy takes the blame, is sent out of the village...lands up in madurai, enter charanraj the madurai gunda but gud samaritan whose kid our boy hero saves from death and is taken under charanraj's wings...grows up to be madurai raja alias mammootty in the most hammed up role of his career! then the titles play up with the song in the background playin as something like this "ivan pokkiri raja, aangilathil mannan, tamizhum pesuvaan, aanaal ivan thaaimozhi malayalam" oh yeah, the stage is set....i told myself, just think that you are watching Sura and not a mammootty film...ok, still the first half with prithvi trying to ape all vijay heroisms tests one's patience thanks to the inefficiency of the actor in doing a role tailormade for a vijay! but the lighthearted moments by the comedians save the show and one eagerly waits for mammootty to make his entry which by interval he does...within 5 minutes of that, one realizes even that is not going to save the show!

and, second half proves one right...the worst police commissioner character i've ever seen written in cinema essayed by Siddhique...sample a scene: the madurai gunda played by mammootty enters the police commissioner's house, beats the commissioner's henchmen black and blue and challenges the commissioner that he'l make sure that the commissioner's daughter eventually gets married off to prithvi, his younger brother despite the commissioner's objection to it...in between the fight, the commissioner makes calls to the police force to reach ASAP to his house at which point, madurai raja's henchmen call home minister, chief minister and whoever possible...the police force arrives and tells commisioner "we can't do anything sir, this man has connections all over india!" and go back beaten! enter raja: "you call police, i call home minister...u call home minister, i call chief minister, u call chief minister, i call prime minister...u call prime minister, i call obama obama!"....did i hear anyone laugh at this dialogue, yeah pls, it's supposed to be comedy ! yeah, raja uses (in)appropriate english throughout the film in an attempt at humor, a straight lift from the Superstar's 1980s comedy scenes' english template, but the attempt is below par and not even a patch on rajini's style of 'inglis' usage!

and u bring a heroine like Shreya to malayalam cinema, at least give her some screenspace or 2 gud songs, alas, that's also not there...she doesn't even have as much screentime as the sidekicks of the heroes and is the usual bimbo heroine that one encounters in mass flicks!

now i can take mass masala flicks in tamil in its own spirit, and as i mentioned above, i got the gist of the film from the first 15 minutes of the movie and knew what to expect...but when the scriptwriters indulge in cheating the audience by filling illogical scenes one after the other, shove corny dialogues scene by scene, and labeling it entertainment, mass masala, sorry it is just not on...i can as well watch a vijay/vijaykant/sarathkumar mass film and i don't want to go to theater to see mammootty mouthing dialogues like "this is indian pokkiri service, u r indian police service...yes it's an IPS war" and then lift the main punch dialogue also from tamil "raja solradha dhaan seyvaan, seyradha dhaan solvaan" comeon, gimme a life, me n my wifey screamed and ran out of the theater well before the climax fight and the eventual happy ending!

a wasted sunday afternoon!
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanmathra-Simple movie told a very simple way.

MohanLal ,the way he used his body and face was amazing.
    Also the effortless ease with which he changed from a normal dad,husband,son to some one suffering from Alzheimers.

My eyes were brim throughout the second half.

The supporting cast was equally good esp the guy who played Lal's son Mannu.

Just a couple of small complaints-Meera looked too young as the wife and the Mannu-Anjali angle was dropped midway.Some how had got the feeling that it will play a role.

Subtitles helped as I could focus on the movie instead of thinking what was spoken the previous scene.Wish this facility was available for some of the 80's movies too.

What are the other Blessy movies-Kazha,Brahamaram,Calcutta News,anything I have missed??

Post Thanks / Like
    Palungu

- Bernard Shaw

Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast