Page 1 of 150 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Face of Music - A R Rahman News & Updates - III

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Face of Music - A R Rahman News & Updates - III

Welcome to the third thread offering the latest news and updates on Isai Puyal, AR Rahman!

[html:a75ee3a635]

[/html:a75ee3a635]

Part I

Part II
    Sach is Life..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    A two-time winner of the Academy Award (Oscar), A. R. Rahman is popularly known as the man who has redefined contemporary Indian music. Hailed by Time magazine as the ‘Mozart of Madras’, Rahman, according to a BBC estimate, has sold more than 150 million copies of his work comprising of music from more than 100 film soundtracks and albums across over half a dozen languages, including landmark scores such as 'Roja', 'Bombay', Dil Se', 'Taal', 'Lagaan', 'Vandemataram' and more recently, 'Jodhaa Akbar', 'Delhi 6' and 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

Rahman pursued music as a career at a very young age and after assisting leading musicians in India went on to compose jingles and scores for popular Indian television features. He also obtained a degree in western classical music from the Trinity College of Music, London and set up his own in-house studio called Panchathan Record-Inn at Chennai.

In 1991, noted film maker Mani Ratnam offered Rahman a movie called ‘Roja’ which was a run-away success and brought nationwide fame and acclaim to the composer. The movie also won Rahman the Indian National Award for the best music composer, the first time ever by a debutant. Since then, Rahman has gone on to win the National Award 3 more times, the most ever by any music composer.

In 1997, to commemorate 50 years of Indian Independence, Sony Music signed up Rahman as its first artiste in South Asia. The result was ‘Vande Mataram’, an album that instantly made Indians relate to it and succeeded in rekindling the spirit of patriotism.

In 2001, Andrew Lloyd Webber, the well known composer of musicals like ‘Phantom of the Opera’ & ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ invited Rahman to compose for his musical, ‘Bombay Dreams’, the first time he would produce a musical he did not compose for. ‘Bombay Dreams’ opened to packed houses at London’s West End and had an unprecedented run for 2 years and later premiered at New York’s Broadway. Rahman recently composed the score for the stage production of 'The Lord of the Rings', one of the most expensive productions mounted on stage.

Rahman has undertaken several sellout concert tours in over 30 international destinations including one at the prestigious Hollywood Bowl in 2006.

Recently, Time magazine rated the soundtrack of ‘Roja’ in the Top 10 of their all time best movie soundtracks of the world; The Guardian, UK, listed the soundtrack of ‘Bombay’ in ‘1000 albums to listen before you die’.

Rahman’s music led him to be noticed internationally with several of his tracks featuring in movies such as 'The Lord of War', 'Inside Man' and 'The Accidental Husband'. His composition, Bombay Theme holds the distinction of being featured in over 50 international compilations. He also scored the music for the Hollywood productions, 'Elizabeth - The Golden Age', 'Slumdog Millionaire' and the Chinese movie, ‘Warriors of Heaven & Earth' produced by Sony Pictures.

In 2008, Rahman's work gained global prominence and accolades with the extraordinary success of his score for 'Slumdog Millionaire' that won 8 Academy Awards including two for Rahman, for Best Score and Best Song. Rahman won over 15 awards for his score including the Golden Globe and the BAFTA.

Rahman has been bestowed with the 'Padma Shri', one of India's highest national civilian honours, recognizing his contribution to music, in addition to several other awards including 4 Indian National Film Awards and 24 Filmfare Awards, India's leading recognition for films. He has also been conferred with honorary doctorates from the Aligarh Muslim University and the Middlesex University.

Rahman has expanded his focus to newer horizons like setting up the A R Rahman Foundation to help poor and underprivileged children. He released his first English single, ‘Pray For Me Brother’ in 2007, with proceeds from the sales going to the foundation. He also serves as the UN Ambassador for the 2015 Millenium Development Goals. Rahman has also announced initiatives to establish a tradition in western classical music in India and recently embarked on an ambitious venture to set up the KM Music Conservatory and the KM Music Symphony Orchestra based out of Chennai, India.
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    master,
    mundhiyadharkku mannikkavum...
    i jus could not control opening a thread.... ungalukkagavum nov'kagavum first moonu post reserve pannirukkaen...
    Sach is Life..

Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    SS

Post Thanks / Like
    am looking for a fresh/new/rocking pic of ARR...
    suggestions please
    Sach is Life..

Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    thats good... but this was posted during sakkarakatti times....

lets keep searching a good one

hope master would have some ideas and hope he would help/put all info abt ARR as he did for the sachin thread
    Sach is Life..

Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope this hasn't been used...

http://www.tamilwire.com/images/2009...n2-500x442.jpg

Thai mannE vanakkam feel...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber A.ANAND's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raghav says no to Bollywood, yes to Rahman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Advertisement
    Share Print E-mail Comment[ - ] Text [ + ]STAFF WRITER 12:15 HRS IST
    Kripa Krishnan

New Delhi, Sept 1 (PTI) He may be coming back to his roots with his second album 'Identity' but UK based artiste Raghav says that he has no plans to become a Bollywood playback singer.

The 'Angel Eyes' hitmaker who had grabbed headlines when he turned down the superhit song 'Twist' from 'Love Aaj Kal', says that Bollywood is not his priority right though he is willing to give up everything to work with Oscar winning musician AR Rahman.

"I am a singer and songwriter, it is a 50-50 thing and these two passions of mine cannot be separated. I turned down the song because I want to write my own songs and if I get an offer from Bollywood which lets me do both, I will say yes," Raghav told PTI in an interview.

Page 1 of 150 1231151101 ... LastLast