Page 101 of 149 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1487

Thread: Which non-Indian film did you watch recently

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally finally decided to go watch Avatar on Saturday. Could not get tickets

Watched Sherlock Holmes instead. The most underwhelming Ritchie film yet. The film had its moments, RD Jr was brilliant but still could not appreciate it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it got too formulaic for you?! The film seems to have a formula of having heightened moments (action sequences, occult practitioner doing his thing etc ), private moments between Watson and Holmes, mild friction between Holmes and Adler, expository moments (visual montage of Holmes resolving each) following one and other like pendulum of mood swings, consciously and overly expressive. But I don't see any other way from Ritchie. I thought Ritchie(or the script) does his best on touching on core points, and the relationships. And simultaneously maintaining frenetic pace.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have liked the film if it did not touch upon way too many things. Too many things were packed and IMO not all of them worked. Apart from the main story, only the friction between Holmes-Watson worked for me.

The way they showed the montage of Holmes resolving everything was too fast for me. Those are the parts which would have been very interesting in a novel (haven't read much of Holmes). I would have liked Ritchie to have been a little more elaborate. But I understand that its like the first film in a franchise(?) and he had to establish all the characters firmly. Was not happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on Groucho

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    happened to watch The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford on hbo recently. one of the best i've seen of hollywood in sometime. felt like reading a novel, scenes n characters fleshed out so well. some people may find it long drawn, but the performances and cinematography make the viewing experience memorable. best of brad pitt that i've seen (anyone agree..?!). but the performance of the film was undoubtedly Casey Affleck, fab!

for connoisseurs of gud ol' hollywood, definitely reccomended!
    INDIAN...WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful filmmaking.

I think it's the best Brad pitt could ever come to portray ruthlessness, intensity and veneration Jesse James inflicted en masse (the various levels of star adulation is suggested through Robert Ford), maybe not quite mythically and romanticized but I'm sure something similar. And just to clarify, it's no Cagney "white heat" over-the-top style (not that I don't like it!), but it's very inwardly created by Pitt, that even silence suggests nuance. Casey Affleck is aptly casted, and performed to the effect, brother Ben, should quit acting and take up filmmaking.

Above all, the cinematography is so great that ever frame has beauty of its own. Specially an excessive usage of time-lapse photography, steadicam, Aerocrane and some handheld by Deakins himself. And some of the lighting by Deakins is so clever technique. The first train robbery (surprisingly similar to "White heat" in many ways and yet so different) is probably the best set-piece of the year, which is grand praise considering the other films of the year, TWBB and NCFOM. In this comprehensive ASC interview, Deakins breaks down insightful details. To know how Deakins does lighting and stuff, he is really a top class technician.

Yet with so much contrivances (in technique and in narrative gimmicks), it seemed a seamless narration. that's how you do a film.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Come on Groucho
    Yemba...? athan sumal review ezhuthiteenee
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Enakku theriyum, namba nerd-ku theriyumma..

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw bro, seen "Rolling thunder" 1977. If you haven't seen it yet, It's so post-Vietnam 70's film. Recommended to you.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The appeal to me was that Ritchie took notice of who Holmes really was. Though you don't see drugs, in some scenes Holmes is definitely under the influence. His obsession in wanting to solve problems all the time to the point of ruining Watson's personal life. His experiements. It's all there.

As for the film overall, it had the old adventure spirit in it. Like the old Bond films, picks up with a good pre-title sequence, nail the bad guy, start again from zero and move, move & move. As you said, the quieter moments between Holmes and Watson are entertaining and funny.

Some interesting points here:
    http://chud.com/articles/articles/21...ERS/Page1.html
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.