Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite filmmaker from 70's

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite filmmaker from 70's

Should have made more than one (great) film in the decade. Similarly, I've seen only a single great film of Scorsese fomr the decade, Taxi Driver, and similarly, Forman's One flew over.., Truffaut's The wild child and Malle's 'Murmur of heart', Melville's The red circle, Fellini's Amarcord, and "Farewell my lovely" - I don't recollect the filmmaker. IIRC, I haven't seen a 70's film from Godard. So, A strictly personal list:
    Kubrick - ACO, and Barry Lyndon
    Coppola - Appocalypse Now, The Godfather and Conversation
    Bertolucci - Conformist, Last Tango in Paris and Novecento(1900)
    Herzog - Aguirre, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Stroszek, Nosferatu (numerous other shorts, and documentaries)
    Terrence Malick - Badlands and Days of Heaven
    Antonioni - The Passenger, Zabriskie Point
    Bunuel - The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Obscure object of Desire, The Phantom of Liberty
    Cassavetes - A Woman Under the Influence , Killing of Chinese Bookie, Opening Night
    Polanski - Tess, Chinatown, Tenant
    Peckinpah - Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Getaway, and Straw Dogs (wanting to see 'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid ')
    Altman - Long Goodbye, MASH, Nashville, 3 Women

I didn't include Tarkovsky and Woody Allen, to give others a fair deal.
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    About time this decade given his due. Will post my fav's later...am afraid they are still mainstream Hollywood (or New Yorkers mostly).
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes please. You are switched into MM mode, please do continue. Enjoyed your posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    In effort to induct my wife into movie buffdom (and pull her away from E! Kardashians, The Hill, etc) I sat with her and watched the following. Suppose to give her a Movie buff cert :P . Here's what we watched:

The Long Goodbye: Superb, she loved it. I am loving it more!
    The French Connection: What can I say? She was thrilled and got disturbed towards the climax. You know why.
    The French Connection II: Slower for her, but she hung on. I loved it even more (wrote a bit in the other section).
    Godfather: She teared many times...err...during the "look how they massacred my boy", tears welled in my eyes too
    Godfather II: Both story intrigued her. Awesome filmaking, enatta solla!
    Mean Streets: Don't watch it alone. Watch it with someone and see the laugh coming. Didn't know it was that funny when I first saw it. We enjoyed it.

Still to go:
    Taxi Driver
    3 Days Of The Condor
    Invasion of The Body Snatcher
    One Flew Over...
    All The President's Men
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Sting.

Mattapadi, she's a regular when it comes to Eastwood and Woody Allen and she saw all of their seventies save one of Woody's TV film that I haven't watched myself.

This weekend, and this will be ultimate ride and maybe the most difficult film she had ever seen:

Apocalypse Now!
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a start.

Let's revive this thread. Awesome decade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw I'd be watching these films too.

Altman's "McCabe & Mrs Miller"

Peckinpah's "The ballad of cable hogue"

Somewhat similar films (in sub-genres), and these filmmakers have already given few of my favorites in 70's. I'll update as soon as I watch them.

I hope others put up their list. It'd be a good starting point to gather neglected gems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to QT's reco in his archives site, I watched "Rolling thunder"

Is actually a poor man's "Taxi driver" (although it has its own aspects), I read Paul Schrader had written both the films direct and exploitive of his own situation (his wife and children left him, a chief inspiration for the main role in "Rolling thunder" right there). Unlike "Taxi driver", "Rolling thunder" binds family situation to actions of the protagonist (And his side kick, yeah there is one). Apart from psychological trauma, there is also a sequence in whorehouse that reminds one of "Taxi driver". And Jodie Foster part isn't exactly mirrored but a grown-up different version provides interest to our protagonist, and like in Taxi driver, acts quite an useful tool. The direction is the way I'd like it to be, violence comes uninvited to break the moods of tranquility, and probably remains the only state of "excitement" in the conditioned, disturbed military mind.

The lead actor is no De niro, but his silence and lack of expression works alright. Young Tommy lee Jones (is the side kick aforementioned)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    The lead actor is no De niro, but his silence and lack of expression works alright. Young Tommy lee Jones (is the side kick aforementioned)
    William Devane? Always wondered why he was never a big star...I mean at least Roy Scheider range would have been good. Pretty unimpressive resume...he had a great face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    William Devane? Always wondered why he was never a big star...I mean at least Roy Scheider range would have been good. Pretty unimpressive resume...he had a great face.

He deserves to be in a Sergio Leone movie, would be an apt rival to Charles Bronson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should see him now, with those lines in his face. I saw him last in Space Cowboy (sort of got reunited with TLJ) and with all those geezers, there was about a million wrinkles. And the film was a big hit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast