Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite filmmaker from 70's

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Should see him now, with those lines in his face. I saw him last in Space Cowboy (sort of got reunited with TLJ) and with all those geezers, there was about a million wrinkles. And the film was a big hit
    Exactly why I think he'd be apt for a Leone film. The Eyes as if it were staring from a dead carcass. Picture-perfect.
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    I've uploaded the extras of ballad of cablue hogue.

Stella Stevens on Sam Peckinpah. As you'd expect, very scathing about him as a person - a coward, liar, thuggish, and insane enfant terrible, except he is no L'enfant. And the film itself, which I kinda liked myself. Essential viewing to understand the broad scope of "Western" as a genre.

(Part I of II)

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't seen it yet, bro. Padatta partuttu estra-va parkalaam. Thanks.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely one of the lighter films of Sam Peckinpah. His versatility within the genre is noteworthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus it has Stella...

Moving on, recent 70s revisit: Heaven Can Wait

Inspiration for NT's Dharma Raja and Rajini's Adhisaya Piravi (both remakes of Telugu so let's blame the Telugu film industry for the rip off).

Am still trying to figure out what makes Beatty a swell actor. Interesting concept, not too funny, and featuring the awesome Jack Warden. Nice movie, not great iconic for 70s. It was remade with Christ Rock right?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't watched it yet. But want to. Beatty is at the least, very interesting to watch in his late-60's and 70's work. I'd say his presence in films like Shampoo, and Mccabe & Mrs Miller, are especially good. But I'm surprised by your reaction to HCW, I heard he is great in this.

Agree re. Stella, she was great, but her career faded off. And she tells how she got manipulated by Sam Peckinpah, off the role in "Getaway". While I think Stella Stevens is a better actress than Ali McGraw, and it's an interesting thought. I think McGraw has the odd demeanor, and fatal sensibilities, that worked in "Getaway".

Post Thanks / Like
    Nuts to McGraw. Stella would have been good, if not great. Gosh, how did they ever gave Ali a career? I am still safely tucked away from Love Story. Oops...the dark side of the glorious 70s :P

Well, Beatty was a bit too understated here...energy pattala...which seemed weird coz he's playing a football player Something's missing. I am thinking if it was, say, Bill Murray it would have been tremendous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously, nepotism helped her career, as it did for considerable number of people in 70's. Her then husband was Paramount production chief, Evans, and he pushed her to play the role alongside Mcqueen, Bogdanovich walked out, just as he walked out of Chinatown (in both cases, he wanted his girlfriend, Cybill to play the lead role). End of the year, both Ali and Cybill would both dump their boyfriends. Ali dumped Evans in favor of Mcqueen.

Cybill, no less a b****, asked to be in date with Nicholson to make Bogdanovich jealous, and then would later reject De niro's offer to date on sets of Taxi driver, when she was single.

Another great thing about 70's, is that, films could be made about stuff like this. Real life femme fatales among actresses. Hah!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, did you read Easy Riders & Raging Bulls? Awesome. A must read for 70s Hollywood film fans.

I commented about it here back in 2002.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen the documentary. Such Books are inaccessible in these parts..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast