Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Companion Like No Other

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey AudazJay,

It's funny how many times I have read the humble, modest introductions of a writer here at the hub only to be fully reeled into their story...quite intrigued now...please do go on

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber AudazJay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalafanz
    Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by AudazJay
    Except, that I’m hardly back home, am I not? Most of the time, I’m only back home long after Divi and Rishi are fast asleep. In fact, the only reason why I find Chitra awake at those odd hours is because those were the only time she gets to watch Desperate Housewives and Lipstick Jungle; her favourite soap-operas, which thankfully comes in the form of DVDs now.

Btw, You dari mana???

KL
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    AudazJay, I like your tagline very much: its meaning is profound and not realised by many!
    About your story: Intensely likeable family theme! Your narrative skills are awesome! Not a beginner, you are a veteran story-teller!
    Likeable family theme...well, not really, but I'm not saying anything right now.

And thanks a heap for the praises
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle.

Post Thanks / Like
    -2-

The house sounded awfully quiet. The moment I entered the hall, there was a sudden eerie feeling running down my veins. I felt dreadful all of a sudden.

“Ch- Chitra?” I stammered. Was that me? My voice sounds alien even to myself. There was no reply.

“Chitra?” I tried again.

“In here,” came the brisk reply.

A big relief rushed through me. I quickly walked to the source of the voice and found her sitting alone on one of the garden chairs we kept at the backyard.

“Hi honey, “ I walked towards her and kissed her forehead.

“Hmmm…” her voice was barely audible.

“Did you say something?” I looked at her thoughtfully.

She was never like this. What’s wrong with her? Where are the kids? Why does the house look strange? What is this frightful feeling seeping into me today? There were just too many questions running through me right now but for some reason, I dare not ask her any.

“Hi,“ Chitra replied, rather absently I must say.

What’s wrong with her? I expected her to be happy to see me home so early. Instead, she has barely looked up to my face. She kept looking at the flower bed in front of us, all the while biting her finger nails. I sat on the chair next to her. She was still staring ahead, with a clueless look on her face. I placed my hand on her hand and stroked her hair. She turned to look at the ground now.

“Enna achu? Is something wrong? Diviyum Rishiyum engae?” I inquired.

After a few seconds, which seemed like hours to me, she told me softly, “Diveena…piano classke poireka. Vare neramthan. Rishi-“ she stopped.

“Rishi?” I asked.

She cleared her throat. “Roomle irukan….thoongeran… He’s not well.” She responded slowly.

I stood up hastily. “Why? Enna achu thidirne? Naa poi parkuren. Doctor call paniya?” I asked her, making my way to his room.

“Ram!” she called, a little too loudly, I quess. I turned to look at her.

“Avan konje neram thoongethum, I’ll call the doctor later.” She said.

“Illa Chitu-“

“Please,” she turned to look at my face. “Later…please,” she said, almost begging.

I sensed that something was just not right.

“Enna Chitu? Enna achi? Yen oru madiriya iruke? Something wrong?”

She just shook her head and turned away, but not before I saw a tear dropping from the corner of her eyes.

“Hey- ennama? Are you crying?” I said pulling her to face me. She looked into my eyes and all of a sudden, she start bursting with tears. She covered her face on my chest.

“Chitu, hey! Ennama achi? Inge pare…pareda“ I tried to look at her face but she just shook her head and cried her heart out. I only managed to hug her closer and stroke her hair, all the while consoling her to stop crying.

After what seems like ages, her cries seemed to have reduced into small sobs and she finally pulled back from me.

“Chitu please, enna achu? Why are you crying? Is something’s wrong with Rishi? Enna achu??”

“Yenaku eppadi soluredhene terile, I’m scared,” she whispered and wrapped her hands around herself.

“What do you mean? Chitra, come on. Tell me what’s wrong!” I demanded sternly.

“R-Rishi...Well, he…” she turned to look at me directly. “...he’s been acting rather weirdly for the past few days,” she said, her face filled with anxiety.

“Weird?”

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez AudazJay you know just how to build up the suspense.... Think about your readers' plights,don't you think you're being a little cruel? :P

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daughter is leaving tonight for US with 2 kids-sons; sil left last month on a long term project. They might return in a year or two. I am scred they might get lured by American luxury! The first kid is 1st std only. Yet, I can't stop haranguing her about 'western culture' and my aversion to my progeny having to stand up to 'peer competition'!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be just fine. God bless them

Post Thanks / Like
    -3-

She nodded and looked to the ground again. “I don’t know. He seems a little aloof lately. Ippe ellam, Divi kitte sariya pesa mathikiran.”

A huge sigh left me.

“Ivvalo dhana? Mandu…ithukka ivvalo periya drama pothe? Cheh, uyire poche teriyuma?” I replied, sitting on the chair again. “Akka-thambi kule aayiram irukum. Ippe sandai pothukevange, nalaike serndukevange. Ithelam oru periya problema-”

“Illa Ram, athu mathum illai. Yean kitte kude pesa mathikiran! He doesn’t eat when I tell him to. He doesn’t come down when I call him. Avan thaniyave saperan, thaniya padhethekeran, thaniya vilayaderan. Room-liye avelo neram adenji kadekeran,” she said.

For once, I was speechless.

“I don’t know…maybe it’s my imaginary…but…I caught him talking to himself lately,” she confessed.

“What?” I was deeply disturbed by this. I heard of kids talking to themselves, but…well, Rishi’s my son and he’s only three years old. Please God! Don’t tell me he has problems at this age.

Chitra nodded. “A few times…I caught him talking to himself. I thought it was my imagination, but when I asked him, he just stares at me…like he’s angry or something. Naa enna panuven? And at times, I feel…I don’t want to say this-“ she stopped again.

“What? Come on, damn it!” I shouted. She looked at me utterly shocked. I was shocked myself.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” I quickly said and I was truly sorry this time. I’ve never shouted at her or the kids before this. But this concerns my son, so how am I supposed to keep still?

“Please continue,” I whispered to her while caressing her soft cheeks.

She held my hands tightly, “At times, I feel as if Rishi is standing right behind my back or looking at me, but when I turn to see him, he’s just not there. He would be sitting quietly at the living room. When I ask him anything, he just stares at me, and walks back to the room. Is something wrong with him? Or me?”

“Nothing’s wrong, don’t worry, honey. Ittenai naala yean oru varthai kude sollame irundhe? But I’m sure, there’s nothing to worry about.” I consoled her.

“I always wanted to tell, but something just pops into my mind at that point and I just forget about it. But today, his behavior was totally different from normal,” she told me.

“Why? What happened today?” I asked her eagerly.

“AMMA!”

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! What mastery in building suspense!
    At first I was holding my breath about adolescent misadventures since the ages of the kids were cleverly kept unrevealed!
    Now this “AMMA!”!!!

And thanks for your kind words about our daughter's family!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast