Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilaiyaraaja - The Singer

Post Thanks / Like
    There is something magicial in his voice that draws our mind to listen to his playback again..

My pick is

a. aarum Adhu Aazhamilla - The starting chorus is superb and there after IR takes control
    b. Thendral vandhu thendum podhu - beautiful voice by IR and SJ depicting the mind of a blind women
    c. Thenpandi chemmailye - I dont have words to describe..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    IF someone says anything wrong about IR's singing, I just tell them one word - 'Thiruvasagam' - In my opinion the best playback singer in the industry - Balu sir also would not have sung it that well. Bhaava is the most important aspect when it comes to film singing and devotional singing more than ability to sing complex aalaaps and intricate bruhas. In this aspect he is right up there. I did not think much of his singing 'romantic' songs till i heard 'Thendral vandhu' and 'Saamak kozhi'. So he is a complete singer with great deal of knowledge - verenna vendum unakku?
    Yes, the best thing he did with Thiruvasagam was to sing the songs himself.
    I wanted to touch upon this point, or allegation rather - the stress on his bhava and an implication of his alleged technical weaknesses and imperfections. Being someone whose interest and passion for music is not matched by sound theory or practice, i'm still going to stick my neck out and say that too much is made of his so-called technical inadequacies, unfairly. He has handled brihas, gamakams and many ragas as good as any other singer. I think the problem is with his voice (he has a deep 'bass' voice and hence it is natural) in higher octaves but that does not mean he is all bhava and technically inadequate . Are there issues apart from pitching or sounding awkward at high pitches? Experts may clarify.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    IF someone says anything wrong about IR's singing, I just tell them one word - 'Thiruvasagam' - In my opinion the best playback singer in the industry - Balu sir also would not have sung it that well. Bhaava is the most important aspect when it comes to film singing and devotional singing more than ability to sing complex aalaaps and intricate bruhas. In this aspect he is right up there. I did not think much of his singing 'romantic' songs till i heard 'Thendral vandhu' and 'Saamak kozhi'. So he is a complete singer with great deal of knowledge - verenna vendum unakku?
    Yes, the best thing he did with Thiruvasagam was to sing the songs himself.
    I wanted to touch upon this point, or allegation rather - the stress on his bhava and an implication of his alleged technical weaknesses and imperfections. Being someone whose interest and passion for music is not matched by sound theory or practice, i'm still going to stick my neck out and say that too much is made of his so-called technical inadequacies, unfairly. He has handled brihas, gamakams and many ragas as good as any other singer. I think the problem is with his voice (he has a deep 'bass' voice and hence it is natural) in higher octaves but that does not mean he is all bhava and technically inadequate . Are there issues apart from pitching or sounding awkward at high pitches? Experts may clarify.
    True - he doesnt make mistakes and i feel if he does it in some song, then the context of the song and the possibility of that mistake being deliberate(for sake of context) must also be considered/analysed. I think most of the IR voice haters are just that - voice haters - they always feel SPB should have sung it or unni krishnan should have sung it - beyond that kurai solla onnum illainnu nenaikkaren.
    In Avatharam he has sung all the songs(except the pathos song by MV - was it the last song so far of MV under IR?) and could have been awarded the best playback singing and music for that movie alone!!
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 'Avatharam' the voice of Raja matched that of Naser very well. I love this movie for different genres the songs are based on. We have a typical 'Terukuthu' type of songs, western classical based song, the robust MV song. I doubt if in any other film Raja's voice matched the hero so well. 'Avatharam' is a top class album.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    IR's voice matched so well for Janakaraj in many songs, like Vellikizhamai.

One of my favourite songs is Kadhal enbadhu podhuvudamai from Palaivana Rojakkal, especially the charanam starting 'Kadhal oru neerottam nillama odum'.

Post Thanks / Like
    venky,

one more combo of IR and JR

eduthu naan vidava en paata
    thozha thozha

Romba nalla match agum JR ku IR voice.
    Usha Sankar

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    In 'Avatharam' the voice of Raja matched that of Naser very well. I love this movie for different genres the songs are based on. We have a typical 'Terukuthu' type of songs, western classical based song, the robust MV song. I doubt if in any other film Raja's voice matched the hero so well. 'Avatharam' is a top class album.
    Exact perfect match!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some other songs that show case IR's prowess are:
    1) Ada Ada Kadhal Kasakkuthaiyaa from Aan Paavam
    2) Yaaro yaar yaaro-Ullaasam
    3) Kalyaana Maalai Kondaadum penne-that starting bit.
    4) Valli Valli Ena Vanthan - Deiva Vaaku
    5) Kadhal Oviyam
    6) Allolam padi asainthadum kattrae-Aavaaram poo
    7) Intha Maan-Karakaatakaaran(Wow...Wat a song)
    8) adi yee raasathi rosa poo -En uyir Thozhan
    9) POOMALAIYE THOL SERAVA
    10) Engirundho Azaikkum

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    His alternate renditions of songs which figure in the soundtracks are also very often mighty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pon Oviyam of Kazhugu is an amazing song

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast