• All the above

9 31.03%
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Poet Laureate Kannadasan

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopal,S. View Post
    மகேந்திர ராஜ்,
    உங்கள் படித்தால் மட்டும் போதுமா ,ரத்த திலகம் இரண்டுமே அருமை. நான் உங்கள் எழுத்துக்களை ரசித்து வருபவன். தங்களை நான் எதிர்த்த இரண்டு முறையும் தங்கள் எழுத்துக்கள் பிழையான பார்வை கொண்டிருந்ததால்தான். நான் யாரிடமிருந்தும் நீதி கருத்துக்கள் பெறவில்லை. சிவாஜிக்கு நடிப்புக்காகவும்,கவியரசருக்கு கவிதைக்காகவும் கடன் பட்டவன். நீங்கள் எங்கள் திரியை தொடர்ந்திருந்தால் எங்களின் கோணாத சரியான பார்வையை உணர்வீர்கள். எங்கள் திரிக்கே வந்து எழுதுங்கள். நாங்கள் உங்களை தொடர்ந்து ஊக்குவிப்போம்.
    Hi Gopal,

Thanks for the compliments and invitation to post it on Shivaji's Thread. As intimated to you very much earlier I am a neutral fan of all things Indian cinema. I grew up with it just like the other senior hubbers which is why I get sentimental each time I see a classic. In my haste to post my candid comments I may unwittingly write my personal opinions which might be seen as offensive to either the Shivaji or MGR diehard fans. I was badly mauled once so why take the risk in going into the lion's den again? That is why I prefer to write in Kaviarasu Kannadhasan's thread. Of course, you are at liberty to cut and paste it there if you think it is worth its salt and I have no objections. To me, MGR, Shivaji, Gemini, Kannadhasan and Ravichandran are all stalwarts whom I admire for their individual artistic talents. I do not belong to any camps as alleged but my undying passion for Kannadhasan is an exemption in this context.

Whilst writing this piece I took a break because the song Kaviarasar Kannadhasan's 'Oru Muthaarathil Muppathu Muthu Seythuvachieindheyn' (Sorgam 1971) was being aired in Kalaignar TV. I can bet my last dollar that no other male Tamil artiste, whether living or dead, can match Shivaji's sudden transformation from a sober to a drunk person within a span of just two minutes into a song. His innocent and naive-looking eyes prior to discreetly imbibing the scotch turns bloodshot almost instantly. From a steady person to a stupor character all within 3 minutes. My God, only the one and only Shivaji can perform that transformation at ease!
    Mahendra Raj

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mahendra Raj
    I watch murasu tv online... the link opens up every time I switch on the PC
    No streaming, no downloading... it plays straight away. Enjoy!

http://tamiltv.tv/murasu-tv-live/
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    Thanks Mahendra Raj
    I watch murasu tv online... the link opens up every time I switch on the PC
    No streaming, no downloading... it plays straight away. Enjoy!

http://tamiltv.tv/murasu-tv-live/
    Thanks NOV,

I will tinker with my pc later and let u know the results!
    Mahendra Raj

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried and got it. Thanks NOV.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy non-stop oldies, friends!
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahendra raj View Post
    Thanks NOV,

I will tinker with my pc later and let u know the results!
    Thanks NOV, I accessed it at the first go itself.
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    NEETHI

Yesterday I got to watch a re-run of 'Neethi' (1973) and I will be failing in my duty if I do not comment about it.

'Neethi' is synonymous with that immortal 'Naalai Mudhal Kudikkamataen' song of Kaviarasar Kannadhasan which background story is well known. In case you don't it goes like this - Producer-cum-actor KBalajee screened the Hindi version 'Dushman' to enable Kannadhasan to grasp the songs' situation and thence to write the lyrics. When Balajee saw the lyrics he disputed by saying that in the original version the protagonist Rajesh Khanna gives up drinking on the spot. To this, Kannadhasan candidly told him that human weakness is such that anyone contemplating to give up drinking will only do so after imbibing the last drop from the bottle so as to start a new sober life. Balajee agreed and the rest is history.

Surprisingly, MSViswanathan, the MD of this film is giving a different version in media interviews about this song. He claims that he was the one who argued with Kannadhasan over the opening lines. He even forgot about what he wrote in 'Ananda Vikatan' in a serialized article way back in the early nineties. Perhaps, age is catching up on him and we should not make an issue out of it.

When Kaviarasu Kannadhasan visited Malaysia around the time of release of this film the and at public functions he was repeatedly asked to sing this song. The author obliged and sang it in his own imitable style. Such was the popularity of this song. Incidentally it was banned by the Malaysian public media broadcast authorities as it was seen as demeaning God.

'Maapillayai Paartukodi Mynahkutti' is another fast-paced ghazal-type number which was popular for some time but faded into oblivion with the advent of newer songs. In this song Kaviarasar has jocularly pointed out the evils of drinking with the line 'saarayam poye vilunthaal aaraya budhi illai'. Who else can write like this except for Kannadhasan on this age-old issue?

We can see a direct reference to Kamraj in the song 'Engalathu Boomi' although Kovai Soundrarajan's voice was not that suitable for Shivaji. Of course, in later films the audience accepted him (Kovai Soundrarajn) for Shivaji. . It was surprising to see Chandrababu doing a dance and singing in his own voice for this song. He was ailing quite badly at that period of time but nevertheless did a wonderful job despite his frail and pathetic figure. He used to be a close friend of Balajee since his younger days and that could be the reason the latter used him in 'Neethi' as well as 'Raja' (1972) to help him out of his financial straits.

MRR Vasu's scenes remind a bit of 'Pattikaada Pattanama' (1972) and 'Thyagam' (1979) when we see it in the present times. He has springy legs which is why he can hardly stand still in any scenes of all films where he acts. Even his own father MR Radha commented about this peculiar habit in a scene from 'Thaayai Kaatha Thanayan' (1962) - the first and last film they acted together. I doubt Aroordasss wrote such a snide dialogue. It must have be uttered by MR Radha in an impromptu manner, which he is famous for anyway, and accepted to be included without editing.

The scenes involving Manorama and Shivaji were also reminiscent if 'Thillana Mohanambal' (1968). The swooning over Shivaji scenes were actually reflective of Manorama's long time personal desire to act as Shivaji's pair. That became a reality in 'Gnana Paravai'(1991).

Jayalaitha's performance was not bad and for a moment confusion arises as though we are watching the song 'Vaangaya vaathiyaarayya' (Num Naadu 1979) when she dances and sings in almost a similar costume in the 'Engalathu Boomi' song. Even Shivaji looked like MGR in the long shots of this song. Anyway, both were political propaganda songs having Jayalalitha and MSV as common factors in both. I remember Balajee praising Jayalalitha for her cooperation in the outdoor location. In one scene she has to appear in a different attire and there was no luxurious caravan like nowadays. She just asked that some female unit members hold up some sarees between two trees and in a jiffy she changed into the costume. She had no inhibitions about doing so and this act saved Balajee's time to have her sent back to the hotel a few kilometers away to have this task done. Balajee was actually lamenting about the lavishness of today's luxurious caravans for top artistes.

In the late sixties and early seventies the audience will be assured of at least one scene where Sowcar Janagi faints. From 'Enga Oor Raja', 'Lakshmi Kalyanam', 'Oil Vilakku' and in many more there will be such a scene especially when she cries emotionally!

There was this scene where Sundrarajan, who acts as the pressing judge goes up to meet the Bench members who are all attired in full British crown judges. I don't remember seeing such a technically and legally advanced closed chamber scene in any other Tamil films. Anyway, the sentence meted out in lieu of actual jail sentence was already in practice in several developed countries. Such community service judgements are also being practiced in some Asian countries with the view to overcome prison overcrowding. However, the crux of the storyline in 'Neethi' is this particular scene which also became a topic of private intellectual discussions off- screen.

When you see a Balajee's remake movie you can be assured that he may copy the entire story of the original but will definitely name the protagonists Raja and Radha for sentimental reasons. Here Shivaji and Jayalalitha have these signature character names. Balajee also made movies bearing the titles of 'Raja' and 'Radha' respectively. So you can see how he holds this sentiment to heart.

Shivaji Ganesan was at one his best in 'Needhi' and I will not hesitate to rate his performance as More then superb.
    As a lorry driver he carried his role well. (Sarath Kumar in 'Paarai' (2003) did a similar role and had almost the same storyline subtly). As an essentially transformed villager he was outstanding. Perhaps, this was the only film where Shivaji appeared in a long-sleeved blue safari pants and suit (although not necessarily meaning the classy-type) throughout the movie. Even when he changes into a jibba presented by Jayakouslya it was long sleeves. Throughout the film his arms were fully covered with long sleeved shirt and that too in a village-based story!

The climax fighting scene in the meat cold room was something modern and novel by the then standards and at certain stunt scenes Shivaji appeared without his double. There was also something very noticeable in Shivaji's mannerism which is not found in his other films. He maintained an unique running style like how Westerners used to do. Not once he deviated from this running style throughout the film. If in 'Puthiya Paravai' (1964) ending there were small frames of the artistes appearing all around Shivaji, in 'Neethi' it was almost similar albeit with a difference. They were actually moving frames but in freeze mode when only one was shown at a time. Never knew such a technology was toyed with some four decades ago. The present films have such innovative multi-frame scenes but usually depicting the making of the film.

On the whole 'Neethi' will never disappoint anyone as it is packed with all those necessary ingredients of a successful movie. It is one remarkable film with excellent acting, songs, music and enchanting village sceneries.
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Needhi is a good review. especially the observation on Nadigarthilagam running style . Kudos.....
    I am recommeniding your name for Doctorate with my Vice Chancellor Friend.(University Name- Dubakur University....or something,I dont remember.). I enjoy your pun .

Post Thanks / Like

A tribute to Shivaji Ganesan on the occasion of his birthday anniversary today. Not to forget Kaviarasu Kannadhasan's lyrics. Both these stalwarts enjoyed their numerous visitations to Malaysia hence this rare song. Enjoy!
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mahendraraj,
    I am glad conveying my best wishes to you on this great Day for all Tamils and welcome once again to participate in our thread.
    நெஞ்சமெல்லாம் நிறைந்த நடிகர்களின் நடிகன்.
    http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...hool-of-Acting

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast