0 0%
  • All the above

9 31.03%
Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Poet Laureate Kannadasan

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Speaking of PA, and I mean no disrespect, but do you see some kinda Kannadhasan "inspiration" there when he wrote Annan Enna Thambi Enna, Sontham Enna Bantham in Tharmathurai? Including "Sutathu, sutathu sattikal suttathadi which seemed to hint on the NT song, which was more to the point when Kaviarasar said, Satti Suttathadi, kai vittathadi. Wherelse, PA was just content with Sattikal suttathadi, so what?

By the way, Rajini's role there is definitely NTish hence the reference....there you go again, Rakesh, always bringing NT in :P
    There is also the more obvious reference to the song from Pazhani of which one can say Dharmadurai is a 80's masala rehash

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    NOV, the tabloid journalist in me is all ears for more gossip

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    plum, read the "Pazhani song" story here...

http://www.dinamalar.com/supplementa...sp?news_id=124
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    cross-posting here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeevi
    Roshan yes I was talking about the lyric and Nov not about the title
    In that case there is absolutely nothing wrong.
    VM has earned enough to credit himself these small praises. If you take away Kannadhasan, VM shines like an icon in Tamil cinema. In fact besides him, there is none other now. We make fun because of his sometimes compromising - but that shouldnt matter because his contributions overshine the less worthy stuff.

Kannadhasan is a different case altogether. His title Kavignar is suffice. No other cinema personality has received such acclaim as Kavignar.

(While Kavignar means Kannadhasan, Nadigar, Isai amaippaalar, Paadagar, etc doesnt pinpoint any individual. Such is the greatness of Kavignar.)
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi folks,

I am indeed very, very, very terribly sorry for the inordinate delay in getting engaged in this Forum. I had to go to East Malaysia for an official stint unexpectedly and being in a remote area the internet connection was almost next to impossible.

The first thing when I came back, I saw amongst the hundreds of mails in the 'In-box'' of the notification of the response. Kaviarasar being the soul and heart of me I decided to post something right away. For your information folks, when I did the previous postings I was actually in a hurry-burry situation. I am not going to look into the responses right away and all the retorspectives because I have to be back in East Malaysia (Kuching, Sarawak) soon to finalise my official matters which will culminate in an important governmental meeting on 5, 6 and 7 June 2010. But until then I have some important paper work to complete and of course I will be able to surf the entire topic dear to my heart and soul.

So, very, very sorry folks once again.

In the meantime, let me pose you a question. Why was that our Kaviarasar was not given the opportunity in full force for AVM films? Both being Nagarathaars and the trend then was to help someone of your own kind. This had been bothering me for sometimes until I met Aachi (Kaviarasar's first wife) in Singapore, 1996 when she was staying with her youngest son Venkat, an engineer by profession and a Singapore PR.

Aachi intimated to me that kaviarasar being a man of pride and ego never truly recognised AVM Meyappan chettiar as a film maker. According to Kaviarasar he was more of a shrewd businessman than a filmworld man. I nudged her further offering various opposing grounds even citing MGR for that matter. Finally she opened up by saying that her father was in the employ of AVM and that was the reason kaviarasar was not keen to work with AVM. In other words the ego in our Kaviarasar saw him not fit to work alongside with his father-in-law. And according to her, that was the first salvo at the nagarathaars since kaviarasar was seen to oppose all things involving capitalism which the former were famous.

Now, when I saw 'Thirumbi Paakerean' on Jaya TV recently where Panchu Arunachalam was the guest of honour, it attested my belief.
    Panchu, whilst being diplomatic, did say something to this effect but not mentioning the strained relations between AVM an Kaviarasar.

Now, in retrospect, let us all see whether our Kaviarasar has really penned all the songs fully in an AVM film. When I was in East Malaysia I took along with me a few books which I bought in Chennai recently. Amongst them was AVM's history wherein AVM Saravanan had mentioned greatly about kaviarasar but at the same time said that he (Kaviarasar) is one person who must have debts, court cases and controversies looming over his head in order for him to pen situation songs perfectly.

Now, can you call that a compliment or otherwise? I tried backtracking to AVM films with my available resources, at least from 1960 onwwards. Lo! what did I find? Some or rather there were additional song writers besides our Kaviarasar. In other words, it went on to show that AVM fraternities were not fully confident with Kaviarasar. This is what Panchu said indirectly in his interview especially relating to songs like 'Marum agalae marumagale vaa vaa' (Saradha 1962) and 'Poo Poley Poo Pooley Pirakkum' (Nanum Oru Penn 1963).

Off the record, what I heard about AVM Meyappan chettiar when I was in Chennai the last time around will push our Kaviarasar to the backseats on matters pertaining to women!

It seemed that there was an indirect ruling that our Kaviarasar should'nt dominate in AVM films although Sudharsan, the contracted music director (also a Nagarathaar) was almost in all. I could'nt delve further due to time constraints. I will definitely get back to all of you folks on this issue but in the meantime I would appreciate if a debate is taken on this subject. The debate will surely offer me some input to further this subject.

Since I will be around in Kuala Lumpur for only a few days before my flight back to East Malaysia shortly I will try and go through all the earlier postings which I could'nt access earlier.

Rest assured folks, as mentioned much earlier I have a lot of sordid details which I will share with all of you.

Until then, once again folks, sorry, sorry and sorry. After this I will try and scrutinise the postings (it is past midnight now) and post appropriate replies.

With warm & kind regards,

R. Mahendra Raj
    15/05/2010
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi folks,

Just when I was in the midst of preparing/reckoning of things during my absence I happened to watch or rather glance the movie 'Vasool Raja MBBS' on Astro Satellite channel (Malaysia) this evening. Kamal was trying to revive a stroke patient (sorry for the digression - first a stroke, then a coma and then a full stop for terminally-ill patients?@!!!) where he recites 'Nan Pesa Ninaipathellam' ('Paalum Paqzhamum 1961) to the patient whilst mentioning our Kaviarasar's name. What a relief after the respite!

What I don't understand about Kamal is that way back in 1990 in an interview with Ananda Vikatan he mentioned his lyricist style is due to Kannadhasan. He further mentioned that he learnt chaste Tamil thrugh Kannadhasan's songs.

Incidentally, Pugezhenthi, the Associate Director of AC Thirulogachander said a piece about Kamal's devotion to Kaviarasar.

When Kamal embarked on his maiden venture 'Raja Paarvai' Kaviarasar was asked to pen some songs besides Vairamuthu. The moment Kaviarasar walked into Kamal's studio office he asked what was the title of the film was about. Kamal mentioned that it was 'Anthi Malai' (remember the song by the same title by Vairamuthu?)

Kaviarasar advised Kamal to change the title because it was taboo ('anthi' means sunset which will not go well for a maiden venture). So, Kamal took Kaviarasar's advice by re-naming it as ' Raaja Paarvai' which was apt for the character.

But some or rather I notice Kamal not mentioning Kaviarasar's relationship but giving more prominence to Karunanidhi (that is another subject as to why he is always seen in functions relating to Kartunanidhi).

Although 'Raaja Paarvai' was a flop but can anyone forget the song of a blind man describing a maiden as 'seen' in his own words? That being one of last songs of Kaviarasar before his demise the song 'Andhi Malar' by Vairamuthu became the hit song.

Bye the bye, way back in 1993 Vairamuthu was interviewed in Radio Malaysia Dr. V. Poobalan (a staunch supporter of Kaviarasar) who was the deputy head of the Tamil service then and me casually spoke to the former for nearly an hour. But that fellow, never did once acknowledge our Kaviarasar although both of us were prompting him. We could only surmise that Vairamuthu was an egoitist for all and sundry. Remember, Ilayaraja, Bharathiraja, Kamal, Rajnikanth, AR Rahman etc. who all shunned him later?)

The following year (1994) Vairamuthu was down here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a function. Mydi Sultan, my erstwhile friend and a senior broadcaster in Radio Malaysia Television asked me for some tips relating to an exclusive interview with Vairamuthu.

I gave him my piece. Amongst the questions Sultan asked him was that since Kannadhasan is no more alive who will be the right person to acquire the title of 'kaviarasar' after him. To that, Vairamuthu replied that since Kannadhasan's demise the Tamil mother's seat is still vacant. At the same breath he appealed to Sultan (a poet too) and his likes to requisition the appropriate authorities so that he can occupy this vacant seat! That interview was broadcast in the Malaysia television and the purists viewed that with disgust. For the record, If I am not mistaken the seat is still vacant. If it is otherwise I hope you folks would enlighten me.

For the information of the Forum members here I wish to re-capitulate that Vairamuthu was bestowed the title 'Kaviarasar' by Balu Jewelllers when he went for a function. Since the name connotes both 'vairam' and 'muthu' the organisers found it fit to bestow such a title. Balu Jewellers have since been declared bankrupt. This was where the controversy started way back in 1998 when Shivaji Ganesan said some words which invited controversy. To wit, Shivaji mentiuoned that if Kannadhasan were to be alive he will surely lose out to Vairamuthu. That function was held in Singapore and immediately after that the Tamil Literary Society of Singapore (Aamaldass, the President and a good friend of mine) approached Shivaji and asked for clarification. Shivaji, being the fanatic of his kind, defended Vairamuthu. That started the storm and so much so Vairamuthu had to abandon his so-called title. Later Karunanidhi came to his rescue by bestowing the title of 'Kaviperarasu'. Remember Karunanidhi had always an axe to grind on all things Kannadhasan?

Will post more folks, hopefully.

With warm regards.

R. Mahendra Raj

Converserly, way back in 1977 when Sultan went to interview our Kaviarasar in his humble dormitory-like room (courtesy of the late Dr. V. David) it was just the opposite. Our Kaviarasar was giving his interview lying on his bed with his cigarette without any qualms. He appeared to be more than a down-to-earth person. He never showed any signs of ego and in fact requested that he be not called 'Kaviarasar'. (That title was bestowed in 1968). Just call him plainly as 'kavingar' would suffice, he said.

Incidentally, I must make mention of Mydi Sultan here. He is a national figure especially in Tamil literary cirles. He is (was) a die-hard fan of Bharathi Dhasan and he can just recite off-hand of nearly all of his poems. But when I gave him all the books okf kaviarasar he became his fan overnight! Till todate he never fails to mentione our Kaviarasar's works during the discharge of his reponsibilities, be it as a DJ or a Compere at functions.

Before I sign off for now, I must mention that at the moment Radio Malaysia is playing the old hits (coutesy of my my friend, Chelladurai who is also another Kannadhasan fanatic). The closing song was 'Kadavul Irukindraar' ('Ananda Jothi 1963')

With warm regards,

R. Mahendra Raj
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Manisegaran,

I hope you are following this Forum. I have lost your mobile and email id. Please do keep in touch.

Folks, sorry for the digression. Manisegaran is my erstwhile friend and due to my erratic official schedules I could'nt oblige him earlier. Yes, to take part in this Forum.

But after, the recent developments I think the time is ripe or me to liaise with him. So, Mani, if you are still in Geneva please do let me know. I just contacted our Ministry of Human Resources Labour Attache, Malaysia for our delegation's stay there. There are leaving on 30/5/2010 at 2350 hours Malaysian time for Amsterdam en route to Geneva. If there is anything I could pass on to them please do let me know.

With warm regards,

R. Mahendra Raju
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    A special compilation on Kannadhasan will be shown on Astro Vanavil on June 24th at 9.30pm.
    Do not miss the show!

Post Thanks / Like
    We could only surmise that Vairamuthu was an egoitist for all and sundry. Remember, Ilayaraja, Bharathiraja, Kamal, Rajnikanth, AR Rahman etc. who all shunned him later?)
    this is the first time I am hearing this angle. podhuvA, this is said only of IR that he was so arrogant that everyone deserted him
    (to some extent, Vairamuthu still works for some of them so this is not completely true)

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    நான் நிரந்தரமானவன் அழிவதில்லை

எந்த நிலையிலும் எனக்கு மரணமில்லை

இன்று பிறந்த நாள் காணும்

என்றும் இறவாப் புகழ் கொண்ட கவியரசே

உன் புகழ் பல்லாண்டு வாழ்க.

அன்புடன்

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast