Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Favourite Hollywood Flicks.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one's interesting.Guess its accessible for non-intellectuals too :P
    Here's what I cud think of atm.

Mr Smith Goes To Washington-The climax filibuster episode was the single most powerful scene/piece of acting I've ever experienced.This one from the Capra-Stewart studio left a lasting uplifting impact on me.

Roman Holiday-I've been in limerent love with miss Audrey Hepburn for the past year or so.Wyler arranged for our first meeting in Rome.

The Shining-Never had the clarity to appreciate most of Kubricks,yet sat through a few trying to self-intellectualise.But this one here genuinely scared the shite outta me.Still when Olive Oyl examines the manuscripts or when Jacky heaves through doors with that collarbone axe.

The Maltese Falcon-Tough to choose between this and 'The Big Sleep' but that satisfied walk after Bogart's first meeting with 'that fat man' tilts me towards the falcon.You can't help but acknoledging that Bogies probably the coolest man to walk this earth.The kind of coolness that dreams are made of.

My Fair Lady-An abridged version of the play was part of our high school prose.A screening in Woodlands was arranged and watching our Engleesh teacher swear and mock in a fit about our lack of 'class' was among the best days of my school life.6 years later after delightful holidays in Rome,Paris,Tiffany's et all,here I am happily reciting 'The Rain in Spain' having a cuppatea with my loverly lady.

In the Heat of the Night-One of those rare occasions where I wanted to jump into the screen,slap everybody,yell wtf and sort the proceedings out :P

The Philadelphia Story-Always hated Katharine for stealing Hepburn from my darling,but couldn't help admiring her elegance and ruthless arrogance with which she outshines an in form Grant and Stewart in this screwball romcom.

The Green Mile-Liked it better than Shawshank because of the added bizzareness,warmth and yeah Hanks.

Mulholland Drive-Ended up watching it due to the constant Lynchings and Interpretation discussions among my peer groups.Thats the period I was getting started with serious english movies and understandably the climax got my ballzies crushed.Ended up loving the dreaminess during revisits.

Million Dollar Baby-I'm pretty emotional and a big fan of the 'water' genre.This one left me dehydrated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Viv and AF naan chummA general-A kEttEn. They may not find a place in my list too :P
    Where's your list?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its so difficult to come up with a top 10. The list will be amended whenever I feel like it
    (Not in any order)

1. It's a wonderful life - I don't normally get *inspired* by films but I came close with this one Wonderful script, great characterizations and terrific acting by James Stewart.

2. Psycho - One of the very few movies that really scared me. And its one of the first English films I ever watched. The shower scene still gives me creeps. Great great suspense thriller.

3. Chinatown - Mixture of great acting, exquisite cinematography and brilliant screenplay. The pace of the movie is superb and keeps us engaged from the first scene till the credits.

4. Kubrick (Hard to pick between Strangelove, 2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange and The Killing). I am going to pick The Shining simply because I haven't seen the others in a while. As I said elsewhere its a lesson on film-making. Enough said.

5. Tarantino (Again confused between Kill Bills and Pulp fiction). Picking Kill Bill(s) because I havent seen Pulp Fiction recently. And I think Kill Bill 1 and 2 put together > Pulp Fiction anyway. Style thy name is Tarantino.

6. One flew over cuckoo's nest - One of the greatest performances ever in the history of Cinema. Simple yet powerful. Poetic. The imaginary play-by-play commentary scene gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

7. Lynch (Blue Velvet/Mulholland Dr/Lost highway). I am going with Blue Velvet. Eerie, intriguing, mysterious. There's some really great symbolism in the film. I haven't got the film completely but watching it is an experience.

8. The Godfather (I and II) - Need I say more?

9. Raging Bull - De Niro's best. Scorsese's best. Powerful, emotional and truly spectacular. Great characterizations and the b/w cinematography is a masterstroke.

10. To Kill a Mockingbird - Again one of the first films I saw. Everything is perfect about the film. Don't know what else to say, honestly!!

Honorable mentions (There are about 50 of them ) Coens (Fargo, TBL, NCFOM), All of Kubrick/Tarantino/Lynch/Nolan, Fight Club, Citizen Kane, American History X, The sting, Shawshank, Forrest Gump, Manhattan, Requiem for a dream, Dog day afternoon, Adaptation, Sunset Blvd, 12 angry men, The usual suspects, Saving private Ryan, A simple plan etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, we both got Raging Bull in the list. And honorable mention list poota, it will be endless.

Warden, I did struggle between choosing Maltese Falcon and Big Sleep. I have read both books, and am a huge fan of Raymond Chandler, athan I picked The Big Sleep.

And yeah, Bogart is the very definition of coolness
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    LM... engE unga list? mathabadi.. CR ellAm engappa?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link, Equa. Interesting Alternate. Of the list, I have only seen these

An Affair to Remember (1957)
    Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
    Eraserhead (1978)
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
    Gilda (1946)
    The Heartbreak Kid (1972)
    The Hustler (1961)
    The Killing (1956)
    Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
    The Lady From Shanghai (1948)
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
    The Night of the Hunter (1955)
    Point Blank (1967)
    Rio Bravo (1959)
    Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (1957)
    Woodstock (1970)

GM: Ittunoondu padanggala paarthuttu romba peesurambaa

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose that's a lot, Groucho. I just finished counting, I've seen exactly five of them!

Ace in the Hole/The Big Carnival (1951)
    Dead Man (1995)
    The General (1927)
    The Killing (1956)
    The Wrong Man (1957)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but quite a number are distant memory, watched during the Video cassette days. And this is only Hollywood. Pranju, Idly-nu list poota intha pakkamey tirumba maatten

Nice to see Kiss Me, Deadly, admittedly one of Tarantino's inspiration for Pulp Fiction. They made a great movie from a trashy novel. Yeah, I love Mike Hammer novels.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber hamid's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My list from the few movies I have seen

1. Godfather 1&2 - Nothing much to say..
    2. Casablanca - Can see it any number of times.. for the Heroine and the script is awesome. .So many beautiful quotes ( Play it Sam/ Of all the Jin joints in the world she walks into mine/ I feel the beginning of a very good friendship etc etc)
    3. Amadeus - what a movie.. those expressionsof hatred ..
    4. Schindler's List & The Pianist - these movies made me understand the extent of crimes and brutalities committed in world war.
    5. A Beautiful Mind.. - Too good of a movie.. Russel Crowe

6. Life is Wonderful - Classic love story with comedy and ends in tragedy.. again World war ( One Vijay movie copied few comedy scenes from this movie)
    7. It is a Wondeful Life - Nice positive feel good movie.
    8. Men of Honour - Classic.. True story of How a Black joned US Navy. Robert Di Nero and the other guy( whats his name?) are fantastic..
    9. Apocalypto - Adventure and thrill all the way
    10. And Justice for all - Al Pacino

Some Spl mentions
    (all Pacino films actually)
    Hotel Rwanda
    Meet the Parents - Comedy with a strong underlying message
    (Now it is time to look for a husband for your daughter)
    The Insider
    The Prestige
    Bridge on River Kwai
    Good Fellas ( esp for the climax - I did see a exact copy of this film in Hindi.. dont remember the name.. )
    Gladiator

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast