View Poll Results: The best comedy movie of Kamal since MMKR(including MMKR)

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Madana Kama Rajan

20 48.78%
  • Thenali

4 9.76%
  • Panchathanthiram

3 7.32%
  • Pammal K Sammandham

0 0%
  • Kadhala Kadhala

1 2.44%
  • Singaravelan

2 4.88%
  • Mumbai Express

1 2.44%
  • Sathi Leelavathy

6 14.63%
  • Avvai Shanmughi

4 9.76%
  • Magalir Mattum/Nala Damayanthi

0 0%
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: KamalHassan's post 90's-Comedies

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

KamalHassan's post 90's-Comedies

Spin-off from High Expectations thread where Kamlhassan's comedies were being dissected. Or, in other words, NOV is going to write an essay on "Why Thenali is better than MMKR"

My purpose is to see a discussion on the merits of the post 90's comedies of Kamal. Indha visaranaila pala unmaigalai veli kondu varadhu HUB members poruppu.
    My humble suggestion is not to question any HUBBER's preference -even if you cannot fathom why a hubber made a particular choice, I'd be very happy if we can refrain from "ada paavi, andha padama" reactions. Ideally speaking, the advocates for each movie will articulate and advocate the specific merits of each movie. Obviously, with these movies being in different sub-genres, any equanimus-type symposium on analysis of the sub-genre and why the particular movie belongs to that sub-genre is welcome. Illainalaum, simple-a ungalukku en a particular comedy pidichudhunu discuss pannnunga. One more request, let's not
    discuss the demerits of particular movies here. adhukku thaniya thread pottukkalam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    More importantly, I am rejecting the "anubavikkanum, aaraya koodadhu" diktat.
    Prabhu Ram, Equanimus: Romba edhir paarkaren unga kitta. Andha diktat solli ungalai pesa vudama thaduthavangalai ellam manasala etti udiachuttu, full freedom-oda, analyseo analyse pannunga.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: KamalHassan's post 90's-Comedies

Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Spin-off from High Expectations thread where Kamlhassan's comedies were being dissected. Or, in other words, NOV is going to write an essay on "Why Thenali is better than MMKR"
    Tenali - jayaram shown as a dumb fool or so, even thats ok. the 1st half is interesting, where tenali is randomly sent out but manages to come home. 2nd half is somewhat dumb and boring...only climax saves

MMKR - complete entertainer, movie runs fast starting from beginning. usually kamal films with many characters - dasa, virumandi, MMKR, kaathalaa kaathalaa ect are more interesting, but those with less characters, like VRMBBS, tenali are less interesting

but, some common fans like these movies much more, i wonder why!
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nAn pala varushamA adhi bayangaramA ArAynjirukkEn indha topic'ai! ekkachchakka theories. appuRamA varuththap pada mAttIngaLE?

Post Thanks / Like

My humble suggestion is not to question any HUBBER's preference -even if you cannot fathom why a hubber made a particular choice, I'd be very happy if we can refrain from "ada paavi, andha padama" reactions.
    adhu avanga avanga nadandhukkradha poRuththadhu
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by equanimus
    nAn pala varushamA adhi bayangaramA ArAynjirukkEn indha topic'ai! ekkachchakka theories. appuRamA varuththap pada mAttIngaLE?
    No way. ennoDa nOkkamE andha theories-ai veLikondu varuvadhu dhAn. Do not hold back. Kotti theerthudunga

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    My humble suggestion is not to question any HUBBER's preference -even if you cannot fathom why a hubber made a particular choice, I'd be very happy if we can refrain from "ada paavi, andha padama" reactions.
    adhu avanga avanga nadandhukkradha poRuththadhu
    Yeah, ellorukkum solraen. Ellorum adhai kettal, prachnai varadhu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
    Tenali - jayaram shown as a dumb fool or so, even thats ok. the 1st half is interesting, where tenali is randomly sent out but manages to come home. 2nd half is somewhat dumb and boring...only climax saves

MMKR - complete entertainer, movie runs fast starting from beginning. usually kamal films with many characters - dasa, virumandi, MMKR, kaathalaa kaathalaa ect are more interesting, but those with less characters, like VRMBBS, tenali are less interesting

but, some common fans like these movies much more, i wonder why!
    No, no, no. Indha discussion venaame please. Adhu avanga pirappurimai. Objection over-ruled

Post Thanks / Like
    movie:Michael Madana Kama Rajan
    genre: Michael Madana Kama Rajan
    This is an unique movie, absolutely original, a pleasant culmination of ideas bubbling forth from that busy head of Kamal, a triumph in execution of bringing on-screen the 1000 brilliant ideas that run through Kamal's mind simultaneously. It doesnt matter who deserves the credit. Singeetham or Crazy or Kamal. The perfection it touched in terms of bringing Kamal's multiple ideas to the fore without distracting the viewer or stopping-and-sermonising or stopping-and-pontificating-pointlessly is unmatched. I'd put it down as a contender for the all time best from Tamil filmdom. The closest Bollywood can cite is Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, which is a much lesser achievement with much better underlying script material.
    Even the much derided climax has so many wonderful moments of fun - from VAM's "kizhinjudhu idhula telungu vera" to Kameswaran's "vegetarian illaiya" to "Boss, 12 maanga" to the "edhavadhu podunga boss", the movie never fails to extract humour out of every second of the screenplay. The humour could be word-play(I mean what I mean) to downright physical(kameswaran crawling along to the refrain "bheem bai bheem bai") to toilet(edhavadhu podunga boss) to absurdo-situational(12 maanga boss). The movie explores every possible strand of humour, and that is why it stands apart for me. The characterisation, and how each character traverses his character-arc seamlessly, and maintaining that even in the faricicial climax - look at the way each character descends down the rope, with Michael showing his machismo by jumping down. Look at each member of the cast reacting to each event, it takes multiple viewings to recognise VAM's "kizhinjidhu, telugu vera" reaction. It is almost real-life. Thats how we are, arent we? We REACT to situations around us. There are set-pieces, but in each of these, every character reacts. And that sets it apart really. Idhukku mela equanimus ezhudhuvaar. Soda theerndhu pochu.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to that, nagesh delivers so many "punchy" humour lines but not a single line is out of character or stick out like it was put in there for comic effect. The lines are natural reactions of that character, and still serve as stand-alone jokes. That is the kind of genius we are talking about here. This is true of most characters, situations and dialogues. One exception I can think of is SN Lakshmi executing that flying dive etc, which was the only abaswaram for me in the movie but even that was only out of character, not unfunny. So, we are talking about a movie in which characters go through their life and react accordingly, while it also serves as a sequence of comic set-pieces, with very few exceptions. And even in the exceptions, they ARE FUNNY. So, we have sequences which are
    1) FUNNY and NATURAL - 95%
    2) FUNNY but not natural - hardly 5%.
    I personally feel that none of the subsequent movies could stand up on this aspect( and I am breaking my rule myself there, nevertheless, some things have to be told)

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast