Thread: Swiss Cuisine...

Post Thanks / Like

Swiss Cuisine...

I know that this out of the Indian Food concept.... But it is very necessary that I must lay my hands on Swiss foods that are veg, do not use wine, and need a little less work to do for a social science project on Switzerland.....

Please do help me out people.....
    God....... Save me!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maddy - you have one difficult project - veg swiss food

Here is a link I found on the net http://www.about.ch/culture/food/index.html - may be of some help to you
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll tell you what, one of my vegan cook books has a recipe for Rosti (swiss fried potatoes) will that do? Will post it later today or tomorrow
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rosti with Spring Onions

A rosti is very quick and simple to make and a wonderful meal. You can vary it by adding different ingredients, such as fresh or dried herbs, onion, grated (minced) fresh root ginger and spices. This version is good served with a juicy salad like tomato and basil.

Serves 2

500gm/1 lb/ 3 cups potatoes
    small bunch 0f spring onions (scallions)
    salt
    4 tablespoons oil

1) Scrub the potatoes then put them into a saucepan, cover them with cold water and bring to the boil. Boil them for about 5 minutes, or until they are just begining to become tender on the outside.

2) meanwhile, wash, trim and chop the spring onions

3) drain the potatoes and leave them until they are cool enough to handle, then slip off the skins using a small sharp knife and your fingers. Grate the potatoes coarsely, mix in the spring onions and season with a little salt.

4) Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the potatoes and press down with a spatula, to make one big round.

5) Fry the rosti over a moderate heat for about 7 minutes until it is crisp and brown on the bottom.

6) Turn the rosti over by turning it out on to a plate then slidingn it back into the frying pan.

7) Continue to cook the rosti until the second side has browned and is crisp, then drain on kitchen paper, sprinkle with salt and serve at once.

Recipe from: Vegan Feasts
    Fresh Flavours - Pure & Simple by Rose Elliot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot akka...... Actually they gave only anything about Switzerland.... But I decided to do about its cuisine arts and culture because nothing is there except for its chocolates, watches, alps, cheese and banks which my friends have already taken.....

Post Thanks / Like
    The difficulty with swiss food is that they use wine, meat and cheeses which are unheard of in India, in most cases.... thanks for this simple dish... now we can make and give to the judges like they make dosas or parotta in kaiyendhi bhavans.....

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anou,

I still didn't get it is it any diff from our regular potato-onion roast ? What ingredient makes it diff. Can u be lil more elaborate on special ingredients.

think of apt topic like "swiss cuisine for dummies"

extremely sorry for such a stupid question.

Post Thanks / Like
    maddy: I hope you enjoy making it and impress the judges

Shakthi: Rosti is like a potato cake/potato dosa or even a potato omlette rather than a potato onion fry!

http://www.recipetips.com/images/rec...bles/rosti.jpg will show you how a rosti looks like

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah I kinda got it. I am gonna try it
    any specific oil? or would any normal indian oil should be fine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shakthi: any oil should be fine you are only shallow frying it anyway... I should make it for Abhi some day too...