Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu Outbreak

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What India should do to combat swine flu

H1N1 influenza (swine flu), which has afflicted more than 1,70,000 persons in some 168 countries, first knocked on Indian shores in mid-May, two months after its first appearance in Mexico. According to WHO predictions, a significant number of Indians will be affected in the next two years by this new strain of influenza A virus.

Events of the last 10 days clearly indicate the fear among the masses of a disease that has claimed more than 25 people, many of them children. The fear is further compounded by the concurrent common or seasonal flu epidemic that kills lakhs every year across the globe.

But an objective review of the situation in the light of the epidemiology of the epidemic, the inherent characteristics of this smart virus and experiences of countries like Mexico, USA and the UK should be enough to assure us that there is no need to panic. Let us see why.

True that the H1N1 virus is highly infectious and spreads through a natural activity that everyone does, breathing. Hence, given the overcrowding and poor civic sense, it is almost impossible to prevent its spread. Let us accept this fact.

But then, the seasonal flu affects more readily and kills about 550 people in the country daily. There are hundreds of other viruses that cause flu-like symptoms. Why should we put the H1N1 virus on such a high pedestal that it starts governing our lives? After all, it is just another flu virus with far less fire power (less than 1% death rate)!

So what is the best strategy for containing this epidemic? As a public health expert, I feel we should consider every case of flu-like symptoms as seasonal flu unless swine flu is suspected and diagnosed. This strategy will pick up the swine flu cases too most of the time.

While disease prevention efforts have to continue, preventing complications and deaths in those with flu-like symptoms should be the main focus. For this, we have to ensure that we promptly identify all those who are at risk and quickly put them on treatment.

Thus all patients with flu-like symptoms (fever, cough and sore throat) need to be screened. It is a gigantic task but with the help of general practitioners, the vast network of primary health centres and other public and private sector health facilities, it is doable. Fortunately, the government has already revised its plan in line with this thinking.

H1N1 is a mild virus but let us also accept despite the screen and treat policy, some deaths will occur. That is because the virus does become fatal in a few cases despite timely treatment. Even countries like the USA, Mexico and UK have had hundreds of deaths. Also, don’t a multitude of people die every day of other diseases despite receiving treatment?

With herd immunity rising slowly, H1N1 will soon become a part of our community and we will learn to live with it as we are doing with other seasonal flu viruses, dengue, malaria, chikungunya etc.

Despite criticism about India’s response to this current threat, a closer look reveals that we have not done all that badly. We all know that India’s public health system is not in the best of health. Yet the Union ministry of health, state governments, educational institutions and the civil society responded well in time for prevention and containment efforts.

The print and the electronic media also chipped in. There is a general perception that it did go in a bit of an overdrive after the first swine flu death but overall, it has been a major source of information. The country has been constantly revising guidelines for ensuring an appropriate response.

While these efforts to screen and treat will continue, the education and awareness programmes on swine flu and news about research into indigenous drugs/vaccine products have to be carried by the media. The electronic media must continue its efforts but exercise restraint.

One good way can be that all news channels are directed by the ministry of information and broadcasting to telecast swine flu updates two-three times a day and simultaneously. These bulletins should contain awareness information and can be of between 30-60 minutes. Rest of the times, there shouldn’t be any breaking news or flashes about the number of cases or the deaths (if any) due to flu. India can surely do it!!

Dr Bir Singh is professor of community medicine (public health) at AIIMS. He is also secretary general of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Shakthiprabha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear all,

As per my doc (homeopathy practioner) Homeopathy medicines can be administered very safely and the effect of its doses stays preventive for one month. Please act as per the adivce of ur medical practioner or ur homeopathic doctor or the ur near by homeopathic chemist for the medicine.

PS: Do carry a hankey with u and swine flu is NOT AIR BORNE, it spreads thro droplets of cough and sneezing of the affected person. So beware.

Take this quiz and check ur awareness.

http://www.swineflu-india.org/swine_flu/quiz.aspx

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    67 deaths in Malaysia
    and more than 3,000 infected

New Delhi: A record 220 people tested positive for influenza A (H1N1) on Monday, taking the total number of infected persons in the country to 1,928 but no more deaths from the virus were reported in the day, health officials said.
    Total so far: 26
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    PS: Do carry a hankey with u
    எதுக்கு? Even in Indian conditions, unless you're sick, why should one carry this?

I've never been a fan of it and hated to carry it when I was sick as that was the easiest way to do a quick-clean, especially when walking or in villages without sanitation. Thankfully, in U.S. it's unusual to see anyone carry this (as restrooms / Kleenex are always close by)

A hand-sanitizer bottle is possibly a much better option, i.e. for those not sick yet!

Take this quiz and check ur awareness.

http://www.swineflu-india.org/swine_flu/quiz.aspx
    I got all of them correct

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats for getting all correct :P I got two wrong (when I took it)

app,

I meant when someone falls SICK . Just to be good to others and dont spread the sickness.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I meant when someone falls SICK . Just to be good to others and dont spread the sickness.
    Agreed, especially in Indian conditions. However, it cannot be a "precaution" to carry this Washing the hands periodically / hand sanitizer etc are better methods of prevention...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine

Agreed, especially in Indian conditions. However, it cannot be a "precaution" to carry this Washing the hands periodically / hand sanitizer etc are better methods of prevention...
    \

True! My daughter's school has insisted them to carry 2 strip-soaps per day for sanitation.

Post Thanks / Like
    now something closer at home

Confirmed that a teacher has died in my sons school - USJ12 Secondary school of H1N1. One of her students in Form 3 is in ICU. A minimum of 12 students have been infected.
    My son is back home now.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give your son nutritious diet, make him take good rest indoors. Don't panic! God is great.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks PP mam for the concern; he is fine. I just called, instead of studying he is online

I am just concerned about the govt's apathy. Latest news I heard, they have closed the school.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast