Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: CLASS vs MASS

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    I am not saying that Dev.D or Omkara were lesser films, just that they dont elevate the taste of a larger mass of audience. It is like they were for a very eclectic set of audience and as far as omkara was concerned, the source material contributed much to the layers you are mentioning.
    Mudhal Mariyadhai was a class movie and was appreciated by the eclectic few and enjoyed by everyone. Only such movies in my opinion have the ability to withstand the test of time and bring audience to the next level of appreciation. I guess this is what Eq or PR or Plum say as 'accessible' 'art for people', yet not polluting itself for becoming accessible.
    ok, which Hindi movie would you say elevated the audience taste as a whole? tamil movies have that capability because the market is much smaller and sensibilities are pretty much homegenous in nature.......but for hindi movies, the market is much wider , its very complex to lift the standards of a entire country's viewing tastes.......i dont think any hindi movie will fit into ur "accessible" yet "great" movies category.......does that mean there has been never a great hindi movie......neenga solrapadi paatha akira kurusowa kooda has not lifted tastes of entire world
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    I am not saying that Dev.D or Omkara were lesser films, just that they dont elevate the taste of a larger mass of audience. It is like they were for a very eclectic set of audience and as far as omkara was concerned, the source material contributed much to the layers you are mentioning.
    Mudhal Mariyadhai was a class movie and was appreciated by the eclectic few and enjoyed by everyone. Only such movies in my opinion have the ability to withstand the test of time and bring audience to the next level of appreciation. I guess this is what Eq or PR or Plum say as 'accessible' 'art for people', yet not polluting itself for becoming accessible.
    ok, which Hindi movie would you say elevated the audience taste as a whole? tamil movies have that capability because the market is much smaller and sensibilities are pretty much homegenous in nature.......but for hindi movies, the market is much wider , its very complex to lift the standards of a entire country's viewing tastes.......i dont think any hindi movie will fit into ur "accessible" yet "great" movies category.......does that mean there has been never a great hindi movie......neenga solrapadi paatha akira kurusowa kooda has not lifted tastes of entire world
    Guru Dutt's earlier movies to begin with, Mughal - e -Azaam, To be more recent, Ashutosh's movies are good examples (except the Baazi), Masoom by Shekar Kapur, Satya, Company to name a few more in recent times - they retained and intellectual edge, yet were engaging for the masses as well.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jai, indha vishayathula I am not so sure.Even though the masses lapped up thevar magan, a god number of them totally missed the point as you yourdelf argued eloquently elsewhere. So, thevar magan was a very pleasing cinematically and was a mass succesnu sonnalum, I am not sure if it elevated those masses. I don't think I will take a definitive view here

Post Thanks / Like
    Plum- ella conceitum ellorukkum puriyanum is not a compulsion - padathula engaging chars, screenplay irundhaal adhulaye padathai naan pathuduven. adhukku ulle oru nalla conceit irundhaal adhu bonus. Classic eg Ch-28 - it had good chars and interesting plot points and good prod values - beyond that it did not try to say anything - however in my opinion it is still a classic/trendsetter for Thamizh movies. will it be an alltime classic I donno.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, i cant quite agree that ashutosh gowariker's movies are better than Anurag Kashyap's movies.......to me, a good movie "need not" elevate a section of people's taste.......i personally dont think its a filmmaker's responsibility to educate/elevate tastes.......i consider that as a hindrance to his creative powers......i dont care if people neglect a great movie as long it strikes chord with me.......it will stand test of time for me - DevD was a classic for me yesterday, is today and will be 50 yrs later too......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    One area where TF can really be proud about (that too for >3 generations) is that the music it produced had absolute class while also catering to the tastes of masses. KVM-MSV-IR-ARR, these people care nothing about this class-mass differentiation நாங்க க்ளாசாப்போடுவோம், மாஸ் கை தட்டி ரசிக்கும்!

"சேரிக்கும் சேர வேணும், அதுக்கும் பாட்டுப்படி"

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, i cant quite agree that ashutosh gowariker's movies are better than Anurag Kashyap's movies.......to me, a good movie "need not" elevate a section of people's taste.......i personally dont think its a filmmaker's responsibility to educate/elevate tastes.......i consider that as a hindrance to his creative powers......i dont care if people neglect a great movie as long it strikes chord with me.......it will stand test of time for me - DevD was a classic for me yesterday, is today and will be 50 yrs later too......
    Pls dont misunderstand me- I never said AG's movies are better than AK's movies - hell no.
    I just said they are effective in moving the audience and will have a much larger impact in elevating the tastes while not sacrificing the dignity of artistic integrity and are tougher to make as the film maker has to reign himself in every scene with tremendous discipline. Sure we all love picasso - but a Raja Ravi Varma stays in mind and hearts and is celebrated in pooja rooms(for better comparison take Leonardo Da Vinci or michaelangelo). There is a difference, even though they are same art form. There is no comparison in the genius behind the art - just the reach without loss in quality. The movies you mention is cherished and held tightly in memory only by forceful devotion of a few. Among Ajay Devgan's works, overwhelming majority still remember and will continue to remember LOBS more than Omkara. The difference if the point i am trying to make - an accessible art form has more chances of affecting everyone and slowly prepare people for masterpieces like the ones Adoor is churning out.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Senior Hubber Movie Cop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree 100% with your comment (in bold)!

IMHO, movies should be made straight out of ones heart. Bharathiraja's 16V, Mudhal Mariyadhai, Kadalora Kavithaigal etc. to the most recent Aamir Khan's "TZP" are all those movies which were made straight out of one's heart. While watching them you realize that those are really heart felt movies, made with integrity from the creator which makes those movies look more like poetry. Those movies are not meant to up or elevate the tastes of the audience. And that is how it should be.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    abbha .. ennum .. indha..theradaku.. puttu podalea?
    My onions and Signature changes according to my desperate need to be in lime light as the BIG Brother :0 - just saying..

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910