Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby foods.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Baby foods.

Disclaimer: The recipies are being posted only to share it with people who have no access to it. There's no commercial interests. Should this be deemed infringement of copyrights, pls let us know. We'll remove them.

Index:

Introduction & Ideas to baby foods and new mothers
    Sathu maavu first version
    sathu maavu second version
    sathu maavu third version
    Mixed veggie jam
    Simple fruit & veggie milk shake

Vegetable chappathi by lavsensuba
    colorful parata
    Badham milk
    Apple milk shake or kheer and its variations
    yummy sweety & nutty bread by lavsensuba
    Quick & easy egg chappathi by lavsensuba
    Paneer parata
    Cheese chappathi
    Dal parata (tarla dalal)
    Different methods of idlies

Beetroot kheer (Mrs.Revathy's collection posted by sujathakannan)
    sprouted moong parata

floating balls(Mrs.Revathy's collection by sujathakannan)
    Green chappathi (ditto)
    Nutritious adai/dosa
    Simple sweet/snack
    Banana dosa with variations
    Corn flakes Milkshake(Mrs.Revathy's collection by sujathakannan)
    Sooji pongal
    Greens cutlet(Mrs.Revathy's collection by sujathakannan)
    Cheese sticks(ditto)
    Royal idly
    Dry fruit balls(Mrs.Revathy's collection.......)
    Dates curd raita(ditto)

Combination of fruits
    radish parata
    simple parata
    navadhaniya sundal
    mullangi sambar
    piece of tip reg., the sambar (by indu)
    corn parata

kesar syrup
    kesar almond syrup(Mrs.Mallika's version)

some useful tips(by dsankaran)
    orange squash
    lemon crush(Mrs.Mallika's version-both)

suggestion on fruits & veggies
    Including peanuts in our baby/kid's foods.
    nutritious urundai
    snack with sweet potato

Hi foodlover, Shanta and kals,

First of all, I am not very experienced mother, ok. My daughter is 23 months now, and have one elder son too. From both of them, I am sharing my views.

Till 1 yr. I was told by my doc that the babies shd take 30 oz of formula, so shd concentrate more on liquid than the solid. And, I saw my friends giving rice or spicy food. At one stage, they will start hating the baby food. So, until 1 year, I did not show rice at all.

For the first 4 to 5 months:

Would start with formula, then, gerber cereals like oatmeal and rice cereal with flavors since fed her sathu maavu, there was no need to give the mixed cereal. Other than the usual fruits like banana, apple, used to buy unusual fruits from the shop which is pears,peach, apricots. They have extra c vitamin and will get to know the taste. You cant prepare them at home. Similarly, with veg., sweet potato, green peas are unusual veg., Can even try mixed fruits and gerber juice which comes in a smaller bottle(4 oz.).

From 6th month upto 1 year:

Other than the above, the standard veg., used to make in the morning was carrot, beans, potato, onion, tomato-all small pieces) with little moong dal. Mash them nicely and feed them as their brunch. Since both dal and veg., are there, it is a filling food for them and for lunch, can go with cereal and formula. In the evening time, can give fruits like mashed banana or apple. While mashing, can even add raisins which is rich in vit. and minerals and no constipation will be there. In between, if they are hungry, can give our regular curd. Or, can feed toasted bread or any snack.

Only some kids will take both veg., and fruits in a day. In my daughter's case, she takes either of them in a day. That does not matter anyway.

For dinner, can give tiffins like idly or chappathi with milk. Chappathi shd be soaked in milk and to be cooked for a mt or so, so that it is very easy for them to chew or swallow. For idly, take some water in a cup, soak the pieces one by one before they eat and dip in sugar or some pottukadalai podi, then feed so that it is very easy for them to take. Until one year, can feed 2 to 3 idlis very well. For one or two idlis, try with sugar or podi then for the last idly, try with curd.

1 yr and above:

After 1 yr., can give our regular milk with cheerios cereal. If they dont like it, can stick with the baby cereal. Also, continued with some bottled fruits(no bottle veg., from there onwards).

For a change, in the evening time, can give bread with millk or parle g or marie bisucits mixed in milk, then can feed them.

Slowly, introduce all common fruits like apple, banana, dates, raisins. Take two or three nuts from cashew, pista and badham each. Boil and peel the skin out. With the above fruits, mix the nuts and grind them nicely. that is a wonderful pudding or brunch for them.

Once they have got a few teeth that is if they are ready to eat, can try veg., chunks. Since my daughter is little elder than yrs' she is taking apple now applied with creamy peanut butter which is tastier and filling one.

You can try mixed veg., like grated beet with shallot, tomato. Like this, choose different combinations which will give more taste-potato or okra with onion, tomato or carrot(baby carrot will be preferable since vit. is more than our regular carrot) or keerai with onion and tomato. Alternative days, add garlic. If you want to add ginger, can add a tiny piece, after cooking, throw the ginger away since it is very hot for the babies. And with veg., you have to give dals like moong or thoor. Moong dal is preferable since thoor dal has more gas. Even with moong dal, you can dry fry and cook so that the gas will not form.

You can prepare simple rasam which has boiled or raw tomato with water, haldi, salt and for kaaram, add jeera and pepper podi until they are little older. Slowly, introduce other grains like payar, channa(black channa is little difficult and blunt taste, so kids dont like it). Once in a while, I used to give hummus which is a boiled and groundwhite channa paste with salt. Make sure that their stomach is ot getting upset.

Can even sprout the grains and add 1 tbsp of the same with the veg., Once in a week, can add only veg., without dal so that the stomach will get some rest. Once they have started liking it, can give curd rice too with 30 mts gap or so. Becoz, after 1 yr, we have to follow the food pattern more or less like us.

Also, if you prepare plain veg., with little qty of dal like cabbage with dal, make one more extra veg., like radish. It is just like how we are eating. Radish is a side dish and the main food is cabbage rice.

Try kitchidis (not the adults' one) by soaking rice and dal together and cook veg., like carrot, potato, onion, tomato and spices like haldi, podis. It is always better to add dal more and rice in a lesser qty.

Even with butternut and pumpkin, can cook them with channa dal and feed them with the std., basic spices like pepper, jeera, poondu, can feed the kid. This was told by a punjabi friend of mine. Some people also add little amt of masoor dal. That is only if the kids dont like our moong or thoor dal.

Dinner is really boring for them since there is not much of variety. Anyways, for dinner, used to give kootu sadham . You can prepare this kootu with veg., like cabbage, chow chow, zuchhini, cucumber(tender veg.,) with 1/2 tbsp of moong dal. Veg., shd be in the higher qty since it is night time. Cook veg., dal alongwith salt, pepper jeera podi. Drain water and mash veg., nicely, mix them with rice. My daughter loved it very much.

I also heard that dhalia is also very good for the kids. So, can make dhalia upma(godhumai rava). But, my daughter is an expert in testing the food. If you take a spoon of some food, she would smell, taste with the tongue tip, then only, she would take rest of the food. Depending on yr kids' taste, can feed her.

My mother always says that though they are kids, they too have the taste bud in their tongues; so, pls feed the food with tasty and addtl. variety.

I have angaya podi with me which has all kinds of medicinal ingredients like sundaikkai, manathakkali etc. So, it is very good for digestion and other minor stomach problems. While cooking the veg., I always add a bit.

I have told you all whatever I remember. If there is more, will definitely let you know.

And, foodlover, since you have visited the "sathu maavu" thread already, a tip for you. For the payar, badham etc. kanji, instead of frying and grinding the payaru, can sprout and grind with the other ingredients. That was how, my mother made in India and brought a few packets with me from each variety for my kids.

Good luck!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello R !
    Thank u very much for sharing valuable information with us.Now i have an idea abt what to feed my infant.can i introduce whole cow's milk to my son?since we r going for a long trip (6 months )to India i cannot carry formula from here.How to introduce milk ?Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello foodlover,

My paed., suggested to introduce cow's milk only after completion of 1 yr. for both of my kids strictly. So, cant suggest you to give milk to yr son though heard from my friend that her doc., asked her to give milk at the 10th month itself!!

So, consult with yr doctor abt this. My doc., was telling that introducing cow's milk is not very easy. Becoz, in the first week after 1 yr., have to give cow's milk once in a day around 6 oz, guess; then, after a week, can introduce two times(morning and evening) in a day. In this way, they may not face allergy problems.

My sincere suggestion is why dont u carry formula powder for another couple of months. Since yr son is 10 months old, you can introduce the whole milk after you go to India(after 2 months) based on yr Indian doctor advise, right? I am not sure whether you are nursing or not. If so, then it is not a problem for another 2 months.

Good luck with yr journey!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello R !
    Thanks for the prompt reply.ur information helps me a lot.regards foodlover.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks R, for sharing this info in detail! I will definitely try all this.

How do you make dhalia upma, i.e., what is the proportion/ratio of dhalia to water? And what is "sathu maavu"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Shanta,

Have not tried dhalia upma, yet, can try with dhalia:water=1:2, just like our sooji upma w/w.o veg.,

Sathu maavu is a porridge made predominantly with ragi and other grains in lesser qty.

first type:

Ragi Sprouts Porridge

Ragi
    Wheat grains
    Green Moong Dal
    2-3 Almonds
    Pinch of green cardamom powder

1. Soak ragi. Leave till sprouts come out.
    2. Dry roast the sprouted ragi on a girdle (tawa).
    3. Also roast wheat, green moong dal, almonds.
    4. Mix all the roasted items.
    5. Grind these to a fine powder Add green cardamom powder for flavour. Store in an airtight container.

p.s.: Got it from a site and what I did was sprouted the green gram too and rest of the procedures are same.
    II type sathu maavu

All the grains are in the same measurements-100 g

kambu, ragi, kaaramani, p.payaru, wheat whole, black chick peas, white maize(corn), urad dal with skin, horse gram, field beans, maize(makka cholam).

Procedure:

Dry fry each ingredients separately and grind nicely just like the other sathu maavu.

If adults or grown up kids wants to eat, can make like nombu adai by mixing with jaggery syrup, dates, raisins, cashew and it is really tasty.

III type sathu maavu

Ragi 1 cup, rest of the grains are as follows (1/4 cups each).

cashew nut, badham, peanut, roasted gram, cardamom, sago, par boiled rice, kambu, wheat, barley, corn and soya(optl.).

Dry fry each ingredient separately till it is hot. Remove and grind together.

Normally, people from South use to bring them from India since it is difficult to find and grind everything here. At the worst case, buy as flour, sieve carefully, dry fry and mix. Easy ingredients like roasted gram, p.nut etc. can fry and grind.

Hope this is enough.

Bye.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, R. I will try these recipes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mother always makes this jam recipe which we can take with bread or chappathi. Though the taste will definitely differ from what we buy from the shop with preservatives, can try at home atleast for the kids.

Mixed veggie jam:

All the qty are in app., The veg., are tomato, beet and carrot. Take tomato in a higher qty and the other two veg., will be in equal ratio.

Grate carrot and beet, cook together. Mash or grind them nicely. Similarly cook tomato and peel the skin out and mash them nicely(not the nattu thakkali since it has lots of seeds).

Mix sugar with water(limited qty) according to the taste becoz all the veg., are sweeter ones, cook on the stove till dissolves well. Add the veg., mixture. Boil well till it is thick. Finally add cardamom powder for flavor.

Very nutritious jam and dont know the lifetime. But, it is always better to prepare dish fresh for the kids. So, once in 15 days will do, guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello R !
    Thanks for the jam recipe.can u explain how to sprout the grains ?How it can be given to babies ?Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello foodlover,

Just like how we make sprouts for us-Take a handful of grain and soak it overnight in water and the next day, drain the water completely. Tie them in a cloth or put them in a siever and close it with another lid, the sprout will form in 24 hrs.

Add one or two tsbp of the same with the regular veg., and cook. For us, taking raw sprouts is good.

Whole green gram, black channa and kaaramani are all the grains which produce sprouts quickly. So, I make sprouts with any of these grains only.

Bye.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast