Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Food for children with allergies

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    dsath: Thanks for the pasta sauce recipe. I make the plain white sauce without the spinach, onion, etc. I throw in a few veg and he loves the pasta, should try out your recipe too.

And the tip about having fixed days might hlep. I do have a diary for his food intake now, so it should be easy for me to see what I gave when and maintain some kind of organised menu for him

As you said, the breakfast is the same here idli, dosa, paniyaram - so I try and give him cereal, bread/bun with jam & butter, etc. once in a while. I also make rava idlis for a change for him. It seems to work for me. Lunch and dinner are the problem zones for me as sometimes he refuses to eat anything other than plain rice or rasam rice. He seems to like aloo parathas, pasta & puri though. Rice is always a problem!

And fluids are another problem. One day he might drink 200 ml of juice/rose milk but the next day he refuses to go anywhere close to it!

I guess it is going to be trial and error.

But fortunately for me he eats plenty of fruits and veg!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    dev: why don't you try making smoothies for her. Take whatever fruit she likes and throw in curd with that into the mixie and if you think it needs a sweetner add honey /date syrup / palm sugar (or whatever you use). This should work! Abhi likes mango smoothie (probably the only one he takes without too much of fussing!)
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anou, the problem is she doesn't like fruits & fruit juices!!!...I tried apple & mango smoothie... I also tried milk with cocoa & horlicks... vaayilaye vaikka maatengra!!!... I'm adding lil milk to godhumai & ragi kanji these days...She ate keerai saadham(her fav) mixed with curd yday...She likes milk sweets...so I give her a small piece of milk peda everyday so she gets atleast a part of her calcium req from tht...

I made godhumai kanji the same way i make ragi kanji(bu extracting milk from godhumai)... but it's white & looks like kanji made from maida flour... any idea if it'll have the nutrients & fiber from wheat or will it be lost in the process of extracting the milk?
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Dev: if all you are worried about is calcium, keerai has more absorbable calcium than milk, so don't worry too much if she doesn't take milk, as long as she is taking keerai

as for kodhumai kanji, not sure if it has the same nutrients...

Post Thanks / Like
    calcium thaan ennoda kavalaye... I tried amul milk pwd for infants...& she seems to like it with kanji... since she takes kanji 3 times a day, the milk I add to it will come to abt a cup... for the rest I guess I can do with keerai & curds...she drank a few spoons of curd yday... I'll try to add keerai to her diet everyday... thanks Anou...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    dev: calcium is available plenty in keerai and green leafy veg. So don't worry, she will be fine

and as they say, it takes about 17 introductions before a child likes a food sometimes, so just don't give up !

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Anou... I'm trying diff ways & hoping tht she doesn't become a milk-hater like me...

Post Thanks / Like
    dev, as a child I used to hate milk too... we used to run to bed the minute amma goes to the kitchen each night to get milk for us and till I found out about Abhi's dairy allergy, I used to take anything between 250 to 500 ml of milk a day

Abhi who used to hate potatoes has started eating potatoes now so I guess being persistent helps

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess Sahana might also try tht trick in a few months time ... hoping for the better anyways....

Post Thanks / Like
    dsath: thanks for the idea of spinach in pasta sauce, Abhi seems to like it

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast