Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Food for children with allergies

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh...ok...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anou, if Abhi likes dried fruits try making a flapjack that has lots of dried fruits. Substitute the butter with sunflower or vegetable oil. he might like that.
    I use the following recipe
    Butter or oil - 125 ml
    Golden syrup or honey - 75ml
    Oats - 150 gms
    Mixed dried fruits - 150 gms
    Flour - 150 gms
    Unrefined sugar - 100 gms
    baking powder - 1tsp

Melt the oil and golden syrup/honey on a stove stop. Dissolve the baking powder in 1Tbsp boiling water and add it to the melted butter. It will foam quite a bit so be sure to use a big utensil.
    Combine the rest of the ingredients in another bowl. Pour over the foamed liquid on the dry ingredients and mix well. Mix it and put the mixture in a baking tin and press it down. bake at 170C for 30 mins.
    Cool and then cut into bars. It is a very healthy and nutritious snack. Plus the recipe is incredibly flexible. You could reduce the flour and add more oat or dried fruits. Some time I even add coconut gratings. You could take out the things your little one doesn’t like and put in the things he likes more.

I have started using wholegrain Spelt flour for cookies, muffins and flapjacks and it is simply great. Its has lots of nutrients and a great flavour. It tastes better than whole grain wheat. The children enjoy them a lot, may be you can try it as an alternate to wheat flour for a different flavour.

Have you tried making pancakes for Abhi, substitute the eggs with some cornflour dissolved in water. You could make savoury or sweet pancakes and add things he prefers like bananas, blueberries, apples and strawberries. I tried filling the pancakes with fruits. My daughter ate only the fillings and my son only the pancake !!! So I add the fruits to the pancake batter, that way they can’t leave out anything.

If he likes savoury stuff try fish cakes for main meals. It never fails, well almost.
    The recipe is quite simple. Boil and mash potatoes. Season the mashed potatoes and if your little one likes spice add some spices (do avoid cumin powder, for some reason it doesn’t go well with fish cakes). If you want you can add steamed vegetables to this mix. Add steamed fish (I add any fish starting from king fish to salmon) to the potatoes, mix and make balls. Flatten them a little and you could roll them in eggs and then bread crumbs or only in bread crumbs or dust some flour on both sides and bake or fry them on a pan with a spoon or 2 of oil until it browns on both sides.
    I like this recipe as I can freeze the balls and dish one out whenever required.

And there is always the panniyams. Both sweet and savoury. Since these are small round balls the children like them to eat as a finger food.
    When ever sweet syrup is required I make a jaggery syrup. I might be wrong, but I think jaggery has more iron and use it as dip for panniyarams and pancakes.

Enjoy the cooking and don't worry too much about his weight now. Once he starts growing up, he will be okay.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this recipe dsath, he loves dried fruits - specially apricots, raisins and prunes.

I can use soya butter instead of regular butter (high in calories too).

Will try this flapjack out tomorrow

I never realised that I could use cornflour instead of eggs for pancakes. He loves his fruits so I should try that too.

I used to give him a lot of fish/chicken cakes and at the moment he is off them.. (probably I gave too much, and he is taking a break )

Like you, I use jaggery too, no sugar for him. It is either jagger or palm sugar.
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried spelt pasta in my friend's place and both Abhi & myself loved it, so another reason to shift to spelt from wheat I suppose.

Thanks for all those lovely tips dsath
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    my lil one refuses to drink cow's milk & baby formula... neither does she like curds... any idea how to get her used to milk & curds... can I add coco pwd to milk for a 9 month old?...

also, any idea on how to make godhumai kanji?...

//Anou, sry to post this Q here...couldn't find any other apt thread to post it...//
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    dev, no problem... we can make this a "cooking for children / children's food " thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    my lil one refuses to drink cow's milk & baby formula... neither does she like curds... any idea how to get her used to milk & curds... can I add coco pwd to milk for a 9 month old?...

also, any idea on how to make godhumai kanji?...

//Anou, sry to post this Q here...couldn't find any other apt thread to post it...//
    dev, they say here not to start on cow's milk till the children are a year old...

Abhi also does't like plain curds, I tend to flavour them with fruits for him. I am not sure what fruits you can use there. I chop up the different berries and add them to soya curd/yoghurt.

Now sometimes he eats plain curd with paratha, dosa, idli, etc. I still can't get him to eat curd rice....

Is it one particular formula that she does'nt like or all formula? most breastfed babies seem to go through this phase of not liking formula. I am not sure about cocoa powder, though my friend here says we can start adding it in 9 months...

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot Anou...

here the pediatrician is asking me to give her atleast 2 cups of milk or curds as I've started weaning... she sometimes eats dosa dipped in milk but not all the time...inga they prefer cow's milk to formula... I tried a couple of formula & baby foods... she doesn't like any of those tinned stuffs...As u suggest, I'll try with some other brand of formula ... today she ate a lil bit of curd rice... I guess I need to be a lil more patient with this and give her sometime to get used to this change!!!...

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev, in my experience the trick in getting children to eat food they don’t like is by mixing it with the food they like. Like if your daughter likes fish, dip the fish in curd a little bit and give it to her. Gradually move on to dipping it a lot and then to reducing the fish and increasing the curd and eventually she will get used to the taste of curd.
    This is what I did with my older child.
    My younger one took to curd very easily like a fish to water. She wants curd in everything, so I use curds to get her to try things she doesn’t like. Like beans and peas (she has something against green vegetables), I mix it in curd and make it more palatable to her. For my older one, I mix the veggies with fish or chicken or mash it.

Anou,
    I wish I had the, ‘been there done that feeling’, but unfortunately I am still there trying to get my children to eat healthily. They have both turned out to be fussy eaters, so it’s an everyday challenge. Forums and blogs are a good space to share our tricks that worked.
    To prevent children from getting the too much of this, so I-don’t-want-it-anymore effect, try having a meal plan (it sort of works for me for evening meals even though my organization skills are next to nil). Nothing organized, but something like fish on Wednesday, pasta on Friday. This way you would project the effect of variety.
    I have this problem with breakfasts as I give them nothing but idli/doasi/panniyaram day in and day out. The evening meals are better received as I cook pasta every Thursday and each time I try different sauces or bake them. One day a week I do idlies for dinner and let them have some junk food like pizza once on month on a Friday (this would give me a break from cooking as well).

The recipe of the pasta sauce I tried yesterday - it has got spinach and both my little ones ate it without a second blink, which is a big thing in my home.
    Melt some butter in a pan and add a Tbsp or so of flour and mix it with the butter. it will form a thick paste, add some milk (I used to do this with Soya milk previously) and keep stirring until there are no lumps, then some more milk and stir. Keep adding the milk and stirring until you get to a cream consistency and then let the mixture cook for a few minutes. To this add some onions, one clove and then a bay leaf (you could remove these latter) and boil the sauce for a few minutes. Add chopped spinach and let it cook till the spinach has wilted. Add some steamed/tinned salmon pieces and cooked pasta. Give it a good mix.
    I cook pasta in cooker these days till one whistle and they come out quite well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip dsath... She likes ragi khool & I mix a lil milk with it & she drinks it... I also add a lil milk with soups but she doesn't drink it all the time... I guess I'll have to get her used to milk only by mixing it with ragi khool as that is the only thing she drinks without any fuss...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast