Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for children with allergies

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks dev. Should ask amma to get ragi powder when she comes end of this month so that I can make ragi dosa, etc for Abhi.
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

aloo paratha

I make this aloo paratha for my son. It is the healthy and easy version and is full of carbs, proteins and vitamins

boil two small baby potatoes. (for two chappathis)

mash them up and add to it grated carrot, cabbage, spinach, corriander leaves, turmeric powder, salt and a paste of green chillies, jeera powder, ginger and garlic. mash all this up well and to this add chappathi maavu and mix well. The maavu should come up to normal chappathi consistency. Use this to make chappathis / parathas. The parathas come out real soft and is easy to eat for kids and also very healthy!

PS: Adults love it too
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    try panni paarunga Anou... u can also make ragi khool, ragi halwa using ragi milk... just like how we make godhumal halwa from godhumai paal... ragi saapitaal kutti nalla weight yeruvaan...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks dev... ragi milk eppadi paNNurathunu instructions kEtaal othaikka maateengaLe?

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anou, is your little one allergic to sesame seeds, if not then tahini paste is a very good source of calcium. I used to give it to my children when I was faced with a similar situation.
    Also cabbage is a good source of calcium. Steam the cabbage and mix it with split moong lentils - it will taste good and a good source for proteins and calcium.
    Try red rice (the Kerala variety) - this is par-boiled plus unpolished and hence has more nutrients.
    Get calcium fortified cereals - you will find this in the gluten free/diary free area of all major super markets.
    The most important bit is to get the little one as much Vitamin D as possible as it helps absorb calcium into the body more efficiently. So if you get a chance for outdoor activities don’t miss it.
    Good luck. Most of them grow out of it. My older son has grown out of his milk allergy now.

Post Thanks / Like
    anou, soak ragi overnight & grind it ... strain using a muslin cloth... avalo thaan... ragi milk ready... u can use this to make ragi khool or ragi halwa... u can also let it stand for a couple of hours so tht the water seperates from the milk... drain the water & spread the thick milk onto a cloth& dry it in the sun... 80% dry aanadhum, break it into smaller pieces & dry again... grind it in the mixie... cool & store... says good for a 2 months or so... if u want to, u can sun dry it once again after u powder it... to make khool, mix it in lil water... boil lil water & add this to the boiling water... keep stirring until it starts boiling again & the liquids looks translucent...

U can also use this for ur next one to make khool once the baby completes 3 months...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsath
    Anou, is your little one allergic to sesame seeds, if not then tahini paste is a very good source of calcium. I used to give it to my children when I was faced with a similar situation.
    Also cabbage is a good source of calcium. Steam the cabbage and mix it with split moong lentils - it will taste good and a good source for proteins and calcium.
    Try red rice (the Kerala variety) - this is par-boiled plus unpolished and hence has more nutrients.
    Get calcium fortified cereals - you will find this in the gluten free/diary free area of all major super markets.
    The most important bit is to get the little one as much Vitamin D as possible as it helps absorb calcium into the body more efficiently. So if you get a chance for outdoor activities don’t miss it.
    Good luck. Most of them grow out of it. My older son has grown out of his milk allergy now.
    Thanks dsath

I add cabbage to his food regularly (including oothappams, cutlets, paNiaaram, etc).

He is not allergic to sesame seeds so I should lay my hands on tahini paste. That should be a good one, I am sure I can replace the sauce he has with dosa/idly with tahini paste.

At the moment I am using tanjavore ponni boiled rice, I must try and get the red rice (my husband might be against it though!)...

I do give him cereals once in a while. So should try the fortified cereals.

I am giving him soya milk at the moment and most of the time, by the time I go to the local super market, they run out of unsweetened soya milk fortified with calcium... my public health nurse though is not impressed by soya milk in the first place (and I do see warnings in the carton that soya milk should not be used as the main source of milk for children under 2)!

And yes, he spends all his time out in the garden if it is nice and sunny! He loves it outside so he gets his quota of Vitamin D!

And I am sure he will get out of his allergies very soon! He had the advantage of being breast fed till he was 19 months old! And he is on homeo medicines at the moment, and he eats plenty of fruits and veg which are helping him build his immunity naturally!

My main problem at the moment is that his weight is not up to what it should be. He should have been thrice his birth weight at one. He is 21 months old and still no where close to 9 kgs (he was 3.02 kgs at birth). And most of this is attributed to less protien content in food.

He eats his fish and chicken when he is in a mood, when he is bored though he says no to everything! And I have to start getting very creative. Most of the days he lives on fruits (fresh and dried)! That is one reason for me starting this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    anou, soak ragi overnight & grind it ... strain using a muslin cloth... avalo thaan... ragi milk ready... u can use this to make ragi khool or ragi halwa... u can also let it stand for a couple of hours so tht the water seperates from the milk... drain the water & spread the thick milk onto a cloth& dry it in the sun... 80% dry aanadhum, break it into smaller pieces & dry again... grind it in the mixie... cool & store... says good for a 2 months or so... if u want to, u can sun dry it once again after u powder it... to make khool, mix it in lil water... boil lil water & add this to the boiling water... keep stirring until it starts boiling again & the liquids looks translucent...

U can also use this for ur next one to make khool once the baby completes 3 months...
    thanks a million dev. Will try this one. I tried making ragi khool for Abhi when he was little using the readymade ragi powder available in shops, he did not like it one bit then! Should try this now hopefully he will like this one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anou, the khool prepared from ragi milk pwd tastes diff from the ones prepared from readymade ragi pwd... so he might like it if prepared this way...U can make it spicy or sweet depending on his liking...

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks dev... no sweets for us, only spicy he is somehow not fond of very sweet stuff!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast