Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for children with allergies

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thavirkka mudiyaathu thaan Vasanth. But things like heating can be reduced and more ventilation can be provided. Carpets can be reduced and wooden flooring can be used.....
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka
    thavirkka mudiyaathu thaan Vasanth. But things like heating can be reduced and more ventilation can be provided. Carpets can be reduced and wooden flooring can be used.....
    Extreme climatic conditions Anou eppadi thavirkka mudiyum ?
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Post Thanks / Like
    Vasanth: heating can be reduced and you can wear warm clothes. vEra vazhi kidayaathu. Actually reducing the heating by even one degree seems to make a major difference in lots of things including electricity bills.
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmn ..... warm clothes oru alavukku Ok ...
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anouska, I can perfectly understand as this allergy problem is a family inheritance with us!!! I am the 'leader' now! In teens it started as just sneezing and running nose with high sensitiveness to thermal changes. After marriage and pregnancy, it 'improved' to wheezing for anything and everything, house dust, sweat, even mood swings. At one stage I used to run away when anybody took a brrom in the hand to sweep! My mom used to rue it my being a woman how I can 'afford' to be like that. Hubby darling used to clean the cobwebs when I go to my mom's for kids' hols and wash the house thoroughly. But after days I return and start wheezing and start fighting with him for having dusted the house!!! He couldn't understand my assertion that the unseen dust particles still lie in the air! Buying a vaccuum cleaner- 3 decades ago it was a new, unheard of gadget for the household - solved the problem to a great extent. Then after menopause I thought I had outgrown my allergic reactions. But alas, a couple of months my visit to B'lore has flared up mu ailment from which I am still limping back. My 3 children share this inheritance to varying levels. Now, out of 6 grandchildren 2 have started wheezing. My 1st son even has food allergy occassionally resulting in severe rashes and itching. It is very difficult to identify the culprit. He took tests for it preventing him from all his favourite items!
    Fortunately you detected the allergen for your little man. In college I had a friend who was allergic to sesame. She used to say one inadverdent episode of biting a bit of murukku with sesame will result in instant fiddling!
    Well, the stories are endless.. One thing I learnt from experience is when one is with a good level of resistance the attacks are rare. The immunity level is vital. So a growing child has all the chances of increasing his stamina as he grows and getting rid of this nuisance.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear PP madam, typed a response for this twice and my silly laptop crashed twice so have to type this over again now...

It is interesting to know about your allergies. My husband can travel the world without any problems, but the minute he lands in Bangalore he will start sneezing and fall sick! I tell him that he is allergic to Bangalore

I know the allergies for my wee man because I got a skin prick test done for him when he was six months. This time I gave his blood test for RAST and Ige tests. I know RAST is available in Delhi, not sure where else it is available.

I was talking to a Indian doctor friend of mine today and she was saying there are immunologists in India who do immunotherapy and treat allergies.

I met a immunotherapist in Bangalore who spoke about sublingual immunotherapy. He says it works wonders but the child must be minimum five years of age as his immune system is still under construction.

Most of the times the allergies do vanish by then, if not then we can treat him is what this doctor thinks. Let us see how it works out.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anoushka, I am sorry to know about your hubby's 'relationship' with B'lore! I thought I was the only one at loggerhaeds with a place acclaimed as a pensioner's paradise and what not! But later I came to know the place is notorious for asthamatic people with allergy caused by the presence of excessive pollen in the 'garden city', and mould fungi! My daughter's co-sister(also living there) declared no house in B'lore is free from mould. The houses, however posh they look have no proper ventilation, air circulation to boast of! The curtains are necessary for privacy, preventing free air circulation, the chill and dampness in the air breeds mould and an unhealthy 'atmosphere' At least I can never can come to terms with any of its seasons being used to my airy, hot Madurai climate!

Ever since my daughter went to live there a few years back after her marriage my visits to the place are unavoidable and with another son's family also having moved to that infamous place my visits have increased , and so my owes. I pack my medicines along with other things and gear myself mentally to face my ordeals with grit!!!

The chances of your kid growing out of the problem is very bright. Even if he doesn't it is easy to get adapted to the special pattern/precaution to be followed. My wise policy has been 'what cannot be cured must be endured'!!! It is important to maintain a certain level of good health!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    PP madam: you are right about Blore houses. I also think the pollution is fairly high there. And yes, the weather is horrible (according to me atleast), I love the Chennai weather where our skins glow.

Even going from the station to home in an auto is enough to dry up our skin in Bangalore!

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming back to the main topic of food... any suggestion for food rich in Calcium, and protiens (veg) as dairy / egg/ nut allergy means all the main and easy sources of protiens and calcium are ruled out!.

At the moment I am sticking to paruppu payasams (kadalai paruppu, siru paruppu) with soya milk and spinach in everything! Also paruppu vadai.

I hope to get more suggestions.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anou, Ragi is good source of calcium, iron as well as protein...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast