Thread: Singers in TFM

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber R.Latha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Singers in TFM

TANA 2009 will honor SP Balasubramaniyam
    IndiaGlitz [Thursday, March 26, 2009]

There’s hardly an honour that singer SP Balasubrahmaniyam hasn’t received in the state. The Guinness record holder for the highest number of songs sung by a singer, 40,000 songs, he will next be bestowed with a Lifetime Achievement Award for 2009 by the Telugu Association of North America.

A singer, actor and music director, SPB also forayed into the small screen as a judge for a TV reality show. He later turned producer as well, having produced four films. A dubbing artiste and a character artiste to reckon with, SPB is one of the most versatile artistes of south India. He was awarded the Padmashri in 2001.

Active in the film industry for over four decades now, SPB has been a music director for 47 films, actor for 68 films, besides dubbing for over 55 films.

P Susheela, Vempati Chinna Satyam, Rama Naidu, Prof CR Rao, Velcheru Narayana Rao and Gummadi Venkateshwara Rao are others who have been recipients of this award. The honour will be given to him at a glitzy event featuring the luminaries of the Telugu film industry, including Junior NTR.

Listen to SP. Balasubramaniam's Hits on Raaga.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Why I like...Iruvar

Unnikrishnan, singer

Because, the film was shot beautifully. The direction, performance, everything was great. I loved the story, loosely based on the lives of MGR and Karunanidhi. Director Mani Ratnam had chosen the apt people to essay the lead roles. Prakash Raj was brilliant — especially his dialogue delivery and powerful presence. Mohanlal fitted in so beautifully, and it is amazing how he adapted himself to the role. His acting in the song sequences took you back in time. And, of course, Rahman’s lovely music.

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2009/03/27/s...2750090400.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    My first break

Harish Raghavendra

How it happened

Despite hailing from a family of classical musicians, I had no intention of becoming a full-time musician. I used to listen to radio and TV and sing along, of course not in front of my dad who is a Carnatic musician. Entry into college (Vivekananda, Chennai) changed my life. I started participating in inter-collegiate singing competitions and bagging prizes. My professors and collegemates encouraged me to try my luck at playback singing. I was just 18 and sceptical about myself. However, flautist Radhakrishnan, a family friend, sent my demo tapes to music director Raj (Koti) who gave me my first break in the Telugu film Panjaram. My desire to sing in Tamil was fulfilled when Vidyasagar made me sing ‘Vaa Saki’ in Arasiyal. I’m thankful to actor Arjun who introduced me to him. Almost four-and-a-half years later came my big break — ‘Nirpadhuvae’ for Bharati — from Illayaraja.
    How it felt

I still remember, when Arasiyal was released, I had taken my family to the cinema to see how my voice sounded on the big screen, especially for a veteran like Mammootty. A little nervous, I observed the audience’s reaction — they were enjoying the song. I felt great.
    How life changed

I have a degree in Commerce and a Masters degree in Mass Communication and Journalism and software engineering. But my life continues as a musician with many hits in various languages. I owe it all to the music directors — Vidyasagar, Illayaraja, Harris Jayaraj, Yuvan Shankar Raja, Mani Sharma, Deva, Vijay Antony and others — who gave me wonderful songs. I’m happy doing what I enjoy most — singing.

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2009/03/27/s...2750401600.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    காக்டெய்ல் கண்கள். சிவப்பு மிர்ச்சி நிரத்தில் உதடுகள். சிரித்தால் தெரியும் அழகான தெத்து பற்கள். குலுங்க குலுங்க வந்து கை கொடுக்கிறார் உஜ்ஜைனி. நச்சென்று இச்சொன்று'னு ஆரம்பிச்சி சாட்டர்டே நைட் பார்ட்டிக்கு போலாம் வர்றீயா;; என ஹஸ்கி வாய்ஸில அலப்பறை பண்ணி கொண்டிருந்த உஜ்ஜைனி இனிமே டூயட்டுக்கும் பாடி அதே பாட்டுக்கு வெனிஸ் வீதி, நியூ யார்க் சிட்டினு ஹீரோவுடன் கை கோர்த்து ஆட்டமும் போடபோறார்.பாடகி உஜ்ஜைனி இப்போ ஹீரோயின் ஆயிட்டார் சாபூ த்ரீ படம் மூலம்

Post Thanks / Like
    Sacred space

Singer Anuradha Paudwal has a room in her house converted into a mini-temple

The terrace with lush green plants is the perfect place to unwind

Positive feel Anuradha Paudwal has taken a lot of care to design her puja room

I live in the Mumbai suburb of Khar. I was born in Santa Cruz and lived there all my life till I shifted to my present home a few years ago. I am very lucky to be staying in this place which is just a two-minute walk from Linking Road, a shopper’s paradise. Besides, there is a Gayatri mandir opposite my building and I wake up to soothing sounds of the aarti every morning. One of my neighbours have chicks for pets, which provides a rural touch to the ambience.

A religious person

I live in a duplex. There are five bedrooms and there is a living room on both the floors. My son Aditya (he is a keyboard player) and I have a room for ourselves. There are two bedrooms for the guests. I have converted one room into a mini temple. I have always been a very religious person, which is evident from the number of bhajans I have sung. The layout of my house is inspired by the Australian lifestyle. There are very few walls in the house. The interiors are by Nitin Advani. I prefer wooden furniture and that’s the reason every corner is occupied by a wooden piece. All the furniture is from Bali. I also like scented candles and flowers as they enhance the décor. I took great care in designing the puja room. The Sherawali Mata idol dominates the living room which is lit at all times to exude a festive feel. Two gold-plated lions, some flowerpots and candles are placed at the entrance of the room. There’s a very positive feel about this house. One of the walls in the house is pink and has a huge flower painted on it. Facing this wall is the terrace which is full of lush green plants. It’s the perfect place to unwind.

The sofas and curtains are pure white while the cushions are pink. It lends a rich look and also has a cooling effect. My friends and relatives love my house. It’s simple and warm, quite like me.
    http://www.hindu.com/cp/2009/04/03/s...0350261000.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Why I like... The Pursuit of Happyness

Tipu, singer

This was one realistic film that mirrored everyday life. It showed how the world treats a person whose luck is down. The scene where Will Smith and his son spend the night in a toilet in a train station is a tear-jerker. The film gave me the feeling of watching something like Aarilirindhu Arubathuvarai. As for the acting, it was a revelation to see Will Smith in such a role, for we are so used to his comic antics and action outings.

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2009/04/10/s...1050120400.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    My first break

Sunanda

How it happened

I am from Kerala, and my father’s friend once took me to Ilaiyaraaja. He asked me to sing, and I sang a Swathithrirunal keerthanai. He asked me to practise more, and called me in a couple days to sing ‘Kathal Mayakkam’ for Puthumai Pen. That was my first song, and I am happy it came from the maestro.

How it felt

I was happy to see my name and hear my voice in the film. Earlier, my brother and I had sung Carnatic songs and recited slokas for a Malayalam documentary Nokku Kuthi by M. Govindan. But this was a new experience. After the release of Puthumai Pen, I became busier. My family, including my two brothers who were trained in Carnatic music, was a source of help to me. I too learnt Carnatic vocal under T.M. Thyagarajan.

How things changed

I began to sing for all South Indian language and Hindi and Oriya films. I’ve sung nearly 400 songs in 100 films. Though I like all my songs, two of them are special to me, my friends and family — ‘Mannava Mannava’ from Walter Vetrivel and ‘Shenbagame’ (the happy version) from Engaooru Paatukaaran. As my husband had a transferable job, we kept moving, and I lost touch with the industry. Now that I am back, I’d like to continue from where I left.

http://www.hindu.com/cp/2009/04/10/s...1050391600.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Lata Mangeshkar is choosy about her songs
    April 24, 2009

Living legend Lata Mangeshkar will be back in action soon, as she has recovered from her knee surgery. The singer, while thanking all the composers who had been waiting for her recovery to record her songs, said that she has become very choosy these days about the songs that she sings. However, Lata added that language is not a barrier anymore.

Before hitting the recording studios, Lata Mangeshkar will participate in an event related to the death anniversary of her father Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar. A few eminent artistes will be honored with awards in the event. Lata said that trophies will be awarded to cops who played a vital role in fighting the 26/11 terrorist attacks.

http://www.behindwoods.com/bollywood...-24-04-09.html

Post Thanks / Like
    A hip-hop show!
    IndiaGlitz [Monday, April 27, 2009]

View - 'Kavithai Gundar' Music Album Released

Kavithai Gundar, the maiden album by the production label Studio 8 and record, was launched amidst much fanfare at Hotel Green Park on Saturday. Launching the album was none other than Shruthi Haasan, singer recently turned music composer.

The album features popular hop singers Neha Bhasin, Emcee Jesz and MC Loga and has a good 13 tracks. Launching the label’s website www.studioeight.in was Hansraj Saxena, Sun TV, and COO.

Two of the songs in the album, Thaniye and Bad Boys, have also been made into interesting videos. The team is all set to take on a journey to Malaysia, Singapore, Canada, Europe and Sri Lanka where Emcee Jesz and MC Loga already have a wide following.

Log on to the new hop era with this album, which is already making waves for its innovative title and songs.

Click here to see - 'Kavithai Gundar' Music Album Released Stills

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/t...cle/46581.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Singer Sayanora married
    IndiaGlitz [Tuesday, May 19, 2009]

Noted South Indian playback singer Sayanora, got married to Winston Antonie de Cruz, yesterday.

Their marriage which was solemnized in Anglo Indian style was at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Kannur, Kerala. Winston, a real estate businessman, is also running a fitness centre.

Sayanora who was born and bought up in a musical family debuted into films with her first Malayalam film song in ‘Manjupoloru Penkutty’. Later she joined A.R. Rahman's music troupe where she got quick breaks that elevated her to a singer of national acclaim.

She has got many big hits to her credit including “Athiradi” in Shivaji, "Dhikku Dhikku" in ‘Dhaam Dhoom’.