Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HUGE rant about the make-up/beauty ideals in cinema/society

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

as they say , beauty is just skin deep

If there is one adage that I have found to be 100% true. It is this one. I recently read a Jayakanthan story which tackles this very same question. The story was in a collection of stories called "Dhevan varuvaara?". It is all about children. In one story (I forgot the title) there are two sisters , one healthy, but ugly and the other good looking but afflicted with TB. The ugly looking sister is a spinster while the good looking sister is married and is having a child. Her husband never lets the ugly looking sister touch thier child. In one circumstance, his wife, the good looking sister falls extremely sick while her baby is also not doing well. The ugly looking sister takes care of the baby, when the husband returns, he finds his baby smiling innocently in the hands of the ugly looking sister and then realises that the innocent baby does not feel the ugliness of the skin while all along his own mind has been creating this 'so called' ugliness around her. Beauty is not just skin deep. it runs deep into the hearts of individuals. A touching story indeed.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Er, I am missing something here , I mean Foundation is applied to cover up acne marks, blemishes, when you stand in front of acamera, unless you have perfect skin, every fault is highly visible on camera than to the naked eye , that is the reason Foundation is applied, NOTHING to do with skin colour, in my opinion, Brown skin is the beauty, not pale, as long as you have Beautiful facial features like, Big Beautiful eyes, Nice sharp nose & fine Jaw lines any one would look beautiful, regardless of colour, typical beauties are

of this nature are Hema Malini, Sri devi, Aish, Sumalatha, Lakshmi..

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sri devi and Aish are not beautiful according to me.
    even if they will fall in my feet i will not marry them.
    i have a different taste. Go for beyonce or priyanka chopra

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Kannuma i agree that there are many false beliefs that desi girls hold about being fair is beautiful but i also know that Shekhar is correct is saying that even if men may prefer that in an actress (we all like eye candy...just think where us gurls be without that Arjun Rampal :P ) in a life partner more is seen than just fairness and looks...dont exclude us ladies...we also vouch for fairness and built...but well i rather like the tall (well taller than me anyways) dark and handsome( as in great smile and personality) any day (or only those 5% of the population shown in tv would be pursued) anyways yes i also hate the (im ugly cause im dark thing) i have seen way too many exceptions to that so called rule...and "i gotta become a stick" all the (bleeping) time...curves are better any day...of course excess is not good either...makeup is fine as long as you use it to enhance not hide your features....seriously foundation may cover up blemishes but it also stops them from clearing up and worse causes more...your skin has got to breathe

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida
    makeup is fine as long as you use it to enhance not hide your features
    Yeah true!!!

...seriously foundation may cover up blemishes but it also stops them from clearing up and worse causes more...your skin has got to breathe
    Exactly !! Daily and excessive use of foundation is extremely harmful.
    And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    makeup is fine as long as you use it to enhance not hide your features....
    Tell me why NOT?!! unless it is the wife and husband won't recognise her!

Hi Roshan...

Come on.. you all ladies use creams and lotions in buckets and barrels, and here you are all modest

I know you ladies hate foundation..You want husbands to build castles without wasting time for foundation!!

Nice to see you back in forum.. you bring colour to the discussions .. (without foundation!!! )

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekhar
    Come on.. you all ladies use creams and lotions in buckets and barrels, and here you are all modest
    I was only talking about foundation Shekhar

I know you ladies hate foundation..You want husbands to build castles without wasting time for foundation!!
    That was a good one , but is that your real life experience Anyways ladies are smart enough and they are certainly aware of the fact that anything made/built for them, would have a strong foundation whether it really exists or not

Nice to see you back in forum.. you bring colour to the discussions .. (without foundation!!! )
    Can I take it as a comliment?
    And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course it is compliment girl ..if you exclude the foundation part (that of course is a joke a you know I always do) :P

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu
    Er, I am missing something here , I mean Foundation is applied to cover up acne marks, blemishes, when you stand in front of acamera, unless you have perfect skin, every fault is highly visible on camera than to the naked eye , that is the reason Foundation is applied, NOTHING to do with skin colour, in my opinion, Brown skin is the beauty, not pale, as long as you have Beautiful facial features like, Big Beautiful eyes, Nice sharp nose & fine Jaw lines any one would look beautiful, regardless of colour, typical beauties are

of this nature are Hema Malini, Sri devi, Aish, Sumalatha, Lakshmi..
    erm, i have nothing against foundation when its used to even out the skintone. not when its 4 shades lighter than your own skin colour and makes one look ashen, when the objective was to look 'fairer' that wa smy point
    the truth is one, the wise call it by many names
    anuma loves her kanna. missing my sweetie so much
    http://img.makeupalley.com/0/0/8/5/263172.jpeg<--- im biased, but my lil cairn terrier is the CUTEST!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi, foundation is not bad for your skin. as long as you wash it off at night and use the right kind(one thaT doesnt clog pores etc) you have nothing to worry abt.

but i wonder, why the fair and locely ads? why do the actresses pile on foundation lighter than their skin tone? they are catering to a beauty ideal. otherwise theyd leave their skintone the same, and use foundation in the same skintone, and not harm their skin with hydroquinone and the sort. unless its a pressure exerted on women, they wouldnt do this. thats my point. and not only women, everyone.
    the truth is one, the wise call it by many names
    anuma loves her kanna. missing my sweetie so much
    http://img.makeupalley.com/0/0/8/5/263172.jpeg<--- im biased, but my lil cairn terrier is the CUTEST!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast