Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HUGE rant about the make-up/beauty ideals in cinema/society

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

HUGE rant about the make-up/beauty ideals in cinema/society

i was waiting for my mum to give me the remote so i could flip the channel form her sun tv to my good ol soap, when i chanced to see yet again an actress with makeup plastered on her face that made her look chalky and ashen. i believe they wanted to make her look fair. i started to post this in tamil films, but decided its a vicious circle where ppl are constantly told about ideals of beauty and then harm themselves trying to get there(some hydroquinone anyone?). it bleeps(censored:P) me off so much. all those women are so pretty without being ashen/chalky/tryiong to be white, why do we want them to be fair? and for that matter thoge doggone fairever/fair and lovely ads. excuse me but if a guy wouldn't marry say someone dear to me like my cousin, coz she was dark, i'd have him castrated. or better yet celebrate coz she wasn'g going to marry a man who was such a racist. yes i do consider this a form of racism. in the least its bias based on skin colour. so there:P.
    have you ever felt the brunt of this horrible trend(pl don't bring the west or something into it since they want annorexic popicles with huge gazungas. the western media too has a screwed up ideal of beauty.) what do you feel about this bias on skin colour? have u ever been discriminated against? i know this is a prevalent topic among desis, but plz share.

and on a lighter note, i am a self-proclaimed make-up maven/addict. i dont wear make-up myself since i hate anything on my face(other tham moisturizer with spf), but i LOVE doing other ppls make-up(im an rtist. it feels like i can work on a canvas thats a live:P). if i could give those sun tv actresses/actors a make-over. yowza, they'll be hothothot. the actresses are all very pretty, they just need lotsa grooming.
    the truth is one, the wise call it by many names
    anuma loves her kanna. missing my sweetie so much
    http://img.makeupalley.com/0/0/8/5/263172.jpeg<--- im biased, but my lil cairn terrier is the CUTEST!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kannuma,

Please rest assured... A man's chemistry is not affected by tv ads. If they click, they click irrespective of colour, caste, language and yes.. even age!

But I am not against make up My eyes would definitely turn towards sleevless and lipstic!!
    And I have got into trouble many times ogling at a cute thing when my wife was there with me !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shekhar,fully agreed with all your views about make up.But when you are with your wife,remember 'discretion is the better part of valour". One of my friends was not so fortunate to escape his wife's eyes.And he had to pay for letting his caution to ease.[You know what-he had to live like a bachelor for two weeks ]

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what abt men applying make up?

Two interesting points that came to my mind after reading previous posts!
    1. What about all those rajinikanths and vikjayakanths and vijays who apply 10 inch maeup (extra 5 kilos just in their face)?
    2. When I was in college, there was a friend of mine who had a huge inferiority complex abt his face colour. So he went to a parlour and did a face bleach and ho something went wrong, along with that he lost his moustache and all forms of facial hair(he still unable make any progress in that area!! ) It is another take that we buried him in satirical remarks!!
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what abt men applying make up?

Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    Two interesting points that came to my mind after reading previous posts!
    1. What about all those rajinikanths and vikjayakanths and vijays who apply 10 inch maeup (extra 5 kilos just in their face)?
    2. When I was in college, there was a friend of mine who had a huge inferiority complex abt his face colour. So he went to a parlour and did a face bleach and ho something went wrong, along with that he lost his moustache and all forms of facial hair(he still unable make any progress in that area!! ) It is another take that we buried him in satirical remarks!!
    even the male actors look grey because of the whitish cast on their skin. oops thats trying to be fair skinned. i hate that. what u need is good skin(poreless, even and not blotchy).

and regarding 2nd point. so sad about that guy in your college. i hate it when ppl feel obligated because of pressure to bleach their skin etc. makes me very sad.
    when i was working in a saree shop in holland, i had a strage thing happen. usually my boss would always compliment me(except for me being on time. me being on time will happen next time halley's comet comes. or maybe the next asteroid to hit the earth). and then once in the summer, he was like anu???? what happened to u??? you're not indian but sri lankan rite? i asked him y he would say that when he knew i was from andhra. he goes like 'indians are fair, never dark. and they dont tan.' i looked at him and lost all my respect. i mean, course i tan(i do wear at least spf 15 coz im scared of melanoma<- the sun in holland seriously burned me once). and i send most of my time outside when the weathers gorgeous. what was i supposed to do? sit inside and watch others have fun????
    http://img.makeupalley.com/0/0/8/5/263172.jpeg<--- im biased, but my lil cairn terrier is the CUTEST!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekhar
    kannuma,

Please rest assured... A man's chemistry is not affected by tv ads. If they click, they click irrespective of colour, caste, language and yes.. even age!

But I am not against make up My eyes would definitely turn towards sleevless and lipstic!!
    And I have got into trouble many times ogling at a cute thing when my wife was there with me !!
    im sorry but if that were true, there'd be no need for fairever/fair and lovely(eugh hate tht name) and the likes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kannuma
    im sorry but if that were true, there'd be no need for fairever/fair and lovely(eugh hate tht name) and the likes.
    Anu, believe me it is really true..
    Just watch any fashion channel, you can see beautiful girls of all hues from anemic white to jet black!
    A woman's voluptousness or attraction is not in her skin.. it is in her personality, maturity and attitude towards people. More considerate and genuine more beautiful, meaner the uglier..

As for fair and lovely.. there is no derth of fools in this world. (More so because long term bleaching causes irreversible heavy pigmentation..so they end up darker than before.)

Post Thanks / Like
    A woman's voluptousness or attraction is not in her skin.. it is in her personality, maturity and attitude......
    Liar,liar Shekhar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey comeon... I am not a newt It is on a different plane I am talking..

Between colour and curve I choose curve (and curve irrespective of colour) any day buddy.. And 'curve' is in her hands.. colour is not..

But what I am talking about really is true attraction and not drooling glance.
    I have enjoyed the company of not so good looking girls but who are without meanness, funloving, sweet in nature, caring..Whereas I have not been able to stand for two minutues some gorgeous beauties who are so vain that they think, because their skin is fair the world has to fall at their feet.
    Men get attracted not by the colour of the skin but by the twinkle in the eyes. And that twinkle is determined by the personality of the girl.
    I cannot see any girl member of this hub. But I know whom I can fall in love with..

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot see any girl member of this hub. But I know whom I can fall in love with..
    Now it's a bit more clear!Great intentions Pal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast