Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the media here so negative?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It must be remembered that the tone and presentation matters a lot in the news we are offered. The language, characteristic insinuations, political ( also perverse, wicked, irresponsibly inciting and sensual) overtones, and exaggeration putting stress on wrong, unimportant aspects are all the factors doing the mischief!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the reporter's / publisher's personal bias and motives could give different colors to the material. That actually adds to the thrill and calls one to compare a number of reports before arriving at some conclusion as to facts, after separating out the colorings.

This is an age old problem (right from very old history when people only wrote about their king's victories hiding the defeats in kalvettu's, with very rare exceptions).

As readers, we should be intelligent to dismiss exaggerations from facts.

However, to simply dismiss media as "all negative just by imagination" does not sound truthful.

Look at the U.S. media now which cries about bad economy all the time...is it only imagination? Or should it be focussing on something else?

I'm sure people who lost the whole of their life's savings will testify otherwise and I personally know a lot of them.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear app_engine,

Nowadays the so called News channels in India do not give news, but give what the majority of the people 'like' to hear.

For example, in the Chennai Ambedkar Law college incident, the fellow who was beaten up was projected as an innocent victim of violent caste hooligans in some channels. They purposely blacked out the news that the same fellow along with 4 rowdies had jumped over the compound wall with sickles, and had cut off an ear of one of the 'violent hooligans'.

The reporting which was full of interviews from one particular caste seemed to be aimed at inciting caste clashes.

Majority of the readers, though 'intelligent enough' to dismiss exaggerations from facts, rather like to hear what they 'believe' is right. And this is only my opinion.

Regards,
    Punnaimaran
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Punnaimaran, not alone CLC news, lot more are there.
    Our media largely has become money making tool like po***ics etc.
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity
    7.Worship without sacrifice

Post Thanks / Like
    Punnaimaran,

I can understand the anguish about many TV channels doing propaganda instead of news. Neither do I support it (Fortunately my TV viewing time is close to null and I'm least affected by them. I would always want to **read** news while my mind interacts with the writer and helps to come to better conclusions rather than being **fed** in a bombarding fashion).

However, how did you even get to know that the beaten up boy himself was a violent, casteist criminal? Through **some** part of the **same** media, isn't it? At least there are some people around, doing a decent job

Another thing, this thread is about "why is media so negative" and my reactions are specific to that question - when there're so much negative things happeniing around, you'll only end up hearing about them.

Bias or no-bias, painting or plain, over emphasizing or not - what I expect from media is to give an overall picture of what happens around. Readers / viewers should be intelligent enough to remove the political fluff and identify the actual situation.

If one wants to hear "only positive thoughts", better read holy books They're filled with a lot of them and I strongly recommend spending at least an hour each day on them to read and meditate, which is my routine.

It's not news media's job to replace them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sarna_blr
    Our media largely has become money making tool
    Media has ALWAYS been a money making tool (right from 'poRkAsukkAgappAdum pulavar kAlam' )

அவங்களுக்கும் "தொழில் தர்மம்" இருக்குங்கோ

Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly, despite all the negative aspects surrounding Thamizh's at this point of time, is not the media gloriously celebrating the great honor of ARR & his fantastic 'எல்லாப்புகழும் இறைவனுக்கே'?

இதுக்கு என்ன சொல்லுறீங்க? They're just reporting what is the great thing by what I would call "grand total method" for a given day

What should be more disturbing is the pAmaran being so naive to trust sun news and ignore reading politically neutral sources. That is probably a bad trend in TN to be worried than thinking about media being +ve or -ve.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    What should be more disturbing is the pAmaran being so naive to trust sun news and ignore reading politically neutral sources. That is probably a bad trend in TN to be worried than thinking about media being +ve or -ve.
    app_engine, I agree with your views.

புன்னைமாறனை புன்னைமரம் என்று குறிப்பிட்டதற்கு காரணம் ஏதேனும் உண்டா? மரமண்டை?? Ha.. ha...ha...
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Punnaimaran

புன்னைமாறனை புன்னைமரம் என்று குறிப்பிட்டதற்கு காரணம் ஏதேனும் உண்டா? மரமண்டை?? Ha.. ha...ha...
    oh..OH...I'm sorry, misread your ID...correcting it...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sarna_blr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    அவங்களுக்கும் "தொழில் தர்மம்" இருக்குங்கோ
    இது வேரயா
    Seven social sins:
    1.Politics without principles
    2.Wealth without work
    3.Pleasure without conscience
    4.Knowledge without character
    5.Commerce without morality
    6.Science without humanity