Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unventured styles of music by Raja

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unventured styles of music by Raja

As we all discuss the music scientist's prowess, i feel there are certain types of music he has not explored. Such as metallic music which i think raja is the best bet to bring a harmony with a indianised tune.

Anyone has any wishes in this aspect of what type of music they feel the music scientist should bring in? My personal wish is metallic /hard rock music. There is a high chance if a urban movie comes to raja he might venture into this provided the situation is right. The closest use was the high tempo strumming of the electric guitar for a bgm sequence in cheeni kum.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some more closests

Rock on with 'Maanguyiley Poonguyile' from Shivashankar & Teen Age'la from Devan

There was also 'Rasigane En Arugil Vaa' from 'Manipur mamiyaar' which can be said as closer to Hard Rock.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shri.Ilayaraaja has done several rock, rock & roll, swing compositions in 80s.

heavy guitaring, loud drums, repeated patterns of rhythms, raucous vocals

http://www.raaga.com/playerV31/index...5253344&bhcp=1

sing swing ..... in MOODUPANI.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/TPplayer...7SNGIRR1303%27

baby babe........kaali.

of course everybody knows and enjoys

‘pottu vaitha kaadhal....’- singaravelavan and ‘Megam kottatum...’- Enakkul Oruvan.

He has done lots of SCAT(Scat is a vocal style often used in both jazz and swing in which singers improvise nonsense syllables instead of lyrics as part of the melody)/RIFF(A riff is a musical phrase that is repeated over and over until it becomes almost hypnotic)/ SWING
    - with DENSE rhythm Thattom thalangu - Vetri Vizha

Vaanam yenna.... Vetri vizha with Call & Respond melody of Blues

format, singers responding to each other with chorus scat singing and

with rhythmic beats.

Does it adhere to 'BLUES NOTE' rule, I don't know! theory/format only I follow. Chord progression, I don't know!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues

Many of them are Ilayaraaja and Kamalahaasan dance numbers.

vikram......kamalahaasan...vikram-film

http://www.oosai.com/oosai_plyr/playerWin.cfm?list=169

everything has been done to perfection in the 80s itself.

It's easy for him to churn out even now.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unventured styles of music by Raja

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkster
    As we all discuss the music scientist's prowess, i feel there are certain types of music he has not explored. Such as metallic music which i think raja is the best bet to bring a harmony with a indianised tune.

Anyone has any wishes in this aspect of what type of music they feel the music scientist should bring in? My personal wish is metallic /hard rock music. There is a high chance if a urban movie comes to raja he might venture into this provided the situation is right. The closest use was the high tempo strumming of the electric guitar for a bgm sequence in cheeni kum.
    Hulkster,
    No Indian MD has ventured into heavy metal. Yuvan's "Its my life" was close but not quite the real deal. If you are talking about rock, hard rock, Ilaiyaraaja has certainly done it and how!

Styles not done would include sufi, qawwali, contemporary hip-hop etc...
    And contrary to popular opinion, many confuse jazz with blues, almost to the point of interchanging one with the other in usage (though its derivatives are jazz, rock n roll etc) and in that sense, blues is relatively less explored in general, though one may find semblances of it in Indian film music.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blues in IFI,

Hard to think of any.. Suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    Blues in IFI,

Hard to think of any.. Suggestions or recommendations would be great.
    There is a piece of BGM that i don't remember too well, aana kettappa it sounded a bit like blues. Raaja padam. Johhny-a, illa vera padama nu doubt. Thats why i didn't/couldn't give any specific examples in my last post and i safely worded it as "relatively less explored" just in case....

"Spiderman, spiderman" - New (the opening riffs... its not blues but could have been blues) What do you think? Olarreno?

Kaadhal-la mansion la when a guy is in the loo, appo varra BGM....

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    cr, qawwali irukku. Not very memorable one. So much so that I dont remember it now. But naan ketturkkaen.
    What genre does nagooru pakkathula nammaloda pettai fall into? Bhangra? Qawwali? Rendume illai - aanalum rendume irukkunnum sollalam

Post Thanks / Like
    And what genre does 'Ada Maappillai' from 'Siva' and 'Sorgathil Nikka' from 'Rajasthan' fall under (Just Revisited the song and finding it has got some middle eastern flavor too!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rajasthan was a much dissed album by one of the Hubber long back, due to his influence and the preconceived notion that its a dud album i've not listened to it much. Today When Iam revisiting the album 'right now' it seems excellent. The orchestrations are top-notch and every single song is great. It seems true that we cant find Raaja's music instead his music will find and dawn on us unexpectedly.

Hulkster,
    listen to the 2nd interlude of 'Machan Machan' it has some traces of 'Hard Rock'.
    'Pennendral' is total 'Jazz Bliss' wowwww....is one word that came out just listening to the 2nd interlude...Listen to the violins & Flutes going Jazzy (so technically He has composed a Jazz even before 'MX').
    'Jai Jawan' is Western Classical.
    'jinjillara' has 'Jazz', 'Folk' and many other things which are hard to point towards a particular Genre and same applies to 'Sorgathil Nikka'

Its hard to believe he has packed so many genres in this single album and one condescending hubber was backward in time while Raaja was forward the Reason that these small pleasures Raaja gives to me, Iam becoming more and more 'Fanatic' over him

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So metallic music is still largely unventured into. Pardon me but i think metallic music can merge well with indianish tunes and i feel raja must try this.

What others he has not tried? I think electronica(made famous by vangelis) is one more genre he has not tried.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast