Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Origin of Lord Murugan

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    in fact Murugan is not originally even Indian.... the name SKANDA should give some hints...

BUT.... rishi moolam nadhi moolam aaraya koodaadhu enbaargal...
    ஸ்கந்தன் என்ற சம்ஸ்கிருத வார்த்தைக்கு "ஒளிக்கீற்றுப் போல பளீரென்று உதித்தவன்" என்று பொருளாம். அதுவே தமிழில் கந்தன் என்று ஆனது.

புனே நகரில் இருக்கும் பார்வதி ஹில்ஸ் கோவிலில் கார்த்திகேயன் பிரம்மச்சாரியாய் இருப்பதால் பெண்கள் தரிசனம் செய்ய சிலகாலம் தடை இருந்ததாம். ஆனால் கணபதியோ ரித்தி, சித்தி என்று இரு மனைவியருடன் இருக்கிறார்.

நம்ம ஊர்ல பிள்ளையார் இன்னும் பெண் தேடிக் கொண்டிருக்க தம்பி இரண்டு கல்யாணம் முடித்து விட்டார்.

ஆறு என்பது முருகனுடன் சம்பந்தப்பட்ட எண்ணாகும். முருகனின் மந்திரம் "சரவணபவ" எனும் ஷடாட்சரம், நக்கீரர் எழுதிய திருமுருகாற்றுப்படையில் பழனி இல்லை. ஆவினன்குடியே அறுபடை வீடாகக் கருதப்படுகிறது. ( அது பழனி மலையடிவாரத்தில் இருக்கிறது). அதுபோலவே திருத்தணிகை மலையும் அதில் இல்லை. குன்றுதோறாடல் என்று எல்லா மலைகளுமே கும்ரனின் இருப்பிடமாகக் கருதப்பட்டு அதன் அடையாளமாக திருத்தணி கொள்ளப்பட்டுள்ளது.

முருகனைப் பற்றி திருமுருக கிருபானந்த வாரியார் எழுதியுள்ள புத்தகங்களும், கல்கியில் பரமாச்சார்யர் எழுதிய முருகன் பற்றிய தொடரும் சில விவரங்களைக் கூறும். ( அவை என்னிடம் கிடைத்தால் நான் இங்கு பதிவு செய்கிறேன்)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    nakkeerar ezhudhiyadhu endha nootraandil...?
    did he write it based on sanskrit lit?
    Sach is Life..

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber sivank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upto my knowledge, Nakkeranaar wrote Thirumurugaatru padai between the 2nd BC to 2AD. Just around the period of Tholkaapiyanaar.

My persumption is that Agathiyar brought Karthikeya to South. Even in Vyasar´s Mahabaratha there are quotes about karthikeya. Agathiyar is most certainly elder than Nakkeerar or Tholkaapiyar. Infact Agathiyar wrote the frist Tamil grammar book called Agathiyam
    niraive kaanum manam vendum
    iraivaa nee adhai thara vendum

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murugan has been referred to in the earliest of Tamil books, Tolkappiam as seyon. Let them, who claim that Skandha is the precursor of Murugan, be asked to prove that their book is earlier than Tolkappiam.

The problem with Sanskrit literature is that the date of its composition can not be decided by its diction and grammatical usage since these have become stagnant after Panini. So one can claim great antiquity even for a book written yesterday. The date of a book is ascertained only by the events referred to in it. In the case of mythologies everthing is attributed to an unimaginably distant past. So, based on Sanskrit books one can not decide whether Murugan is a native of Tamilnadu or he came from the North .
    In the earlier Tamil works Murugan has not been mentioned as the son of Siva. The earliest such reference is in Kalitogai, Paripadal and Thirumurugarrupadai. These three books are considered to belong to later Sangam age. This shows that Murugan, a native of Tamilnadu, got a father, a long time after his birth. Actutally Siva was an immigrant into Tamilnadu and not Murugan.
    vikra
    vikra

ella uyirkalum inburru vazhga

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The name "Murukan", according to some scholars, comes from a proto-Dravidian word for youth, freshness or beauty. There are related words in many southern Dravidian languages, but none of them refer to a deity (with the obvious exception of Malayalam). In Konda, for example, "murku" means "young men". In Telugu, "murupu" means "tender beauty" or "grace". This would obviously place his roots quite firmly amongst Tamils.

Iravatham Mahadevan takes a different view of the etymology of "Murukan". As a result, he interprets one of the signs from the Indus Valley corpus as being a reference to Murukan, which would make his worship an extremely ancient tradition of the ancestors of the Tamils. See:

http://murugan.org/research/mahadevan.htm
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Post Thanks / Like
    About Lord Muruga (in brief)

Name : Murugan
    Birth Place : Saravana pond
    Date of birth Vaishaka month, Vishaga star
    Father : Lord Shiva
    Mother : Goddess Parvati
    Brothers : Lord Ganapati and Lord Ayyappan
    Wives : Valli, Devayani
    Weapon : Shakti vel (spear)
    Vehicle : Peacock
    Flag : Cock
    Aim of Incarnation : Destroying evil and saving Devotees
    Place he resides : Devotees heart
    http://www.sanatan.org/en/festivals/hindu/ksv2.htm
    "அன்பே சிவம்.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madhu
    புனே நகரில் இருக்கும் பார்வதி ஹில்ஸ் கோவிலில் கார்த்திகேயன் பிரம்மச்சாரியாய் இருப்பதால் பெண்கள் தரிசனம் செய்ய சிலகாலம் தடை இருந்ததாம். ஆனால் கணபதியோ ரித்தி, சித்தி என்று இரு மனைவியருடன் இருக்கிறார்.
    Two years before when I visited Pune, I went to a Murugan temple [which is of course located in a hill]. I am not sure whether it is pArvathy hills. Is it a very old temple? If so can you provide me the brief history? The temple which I went to is somewhat recently [~ 30 to 40 Years] constructed. I spoke with the manager of that temple he said only thamizh speaking people would visit that temple. If we both are talking about the same one, I am really surprised that kanni peNgal history.

My cousin says that in North India people believes that Karthik is a leader [thalapathy] of the warriors of Lord Shiva’s.

I like to know whether there is anything like
    திருமுறுகாற்றுப்படை, ஸ்கந்த ஷஷ்டி கவசம் [madhu anna, Devaraya Swamigal history please?] in other languages. If not Lord Murugan is defenitely a tamizh kadavul.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aanaa
    About Lord Muruga (in brief)

Name : Murugan
    Birth Place : Saravana pond
    Date of birth Vaishaka month, Vishaga star
    Father : Lord Shiva
    Mother : Goddess Parvati
    Brothers : Lord Ganapati and Lord Ayyappan
    Wives : Valli, Devayani
    Weapon : Shakti vel (spear)
    Vehicle : Peacock
    Flag : ****
    Aim of Incarnation : Destroying evil and saving Devotees
    Place he resides : Devotees heart
    http://www.sanatan.org/en/festivals/hindu/ksv2.htm
    Hello! avunga DheivAnai-nga, Rajakumaran kOchukapOraru!

Post Thanks / Like
    Becks..

முருகன் தமிழ்க் கடவுள்தான்.. சந்தேகமெ இல்லை..

கார்த்திக்-தான் நார்த் இண்டியன் கடவுள்

Post Thanks / Like
    There are slokas like "subramanya bujangam" in sanskrit. But its created in south india only.

Anyway... the sanskrit book 'AmarakOsam' written by Amarasimman ( who was really a Jain ) is having Murugan in it.
    And also Kalidasa a north Indian poet has written "Kumara sambhavam" which describes the birth of Lord Muruga.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast