Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Origin of Lord Murugan

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, I am looking for a reference in Tamil Literature where Murugan is praised as the Father of Lord Shiva himself. Can you tell me in which literary work ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    vadivEl, he is not even from India.
    Where is he from then?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harish Kumar View Post
    By the way, I am looking for a reference in Tamil Literature where Murugan is praised as the Father of Lord Shiva himself. Can you tell me in which literary work ?
    Anbu Sir,

I hope you're reading this.

See, this is what annoys me What's all this profane hyperbole (result of polytheism) about? There can never be competition between gods as god is one.

Senior Member Senior Hubber anbu_kathir's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil_M88 View Post
    Anbu Sir,

I hope you're reading this.

See, this is what annoys me What's all this profane hyperbole (result of polytheism) about? There can never be competition between gods as god is one.
    Sunil Sir,

As I said, the Consciousness which shines within and through all these divinities, and indeed in all beings of the Universe is the one and only Lord alone. Because of people having different inherent characteristics, they are all born with certain tendencies towards certain types of divinities and certain types of devotees. The scriptures (Puranas/Itihasas) themselves praise one form over another. When they are praising Maheshwara, they will say that He is above all the other gods. He existed prior to all of them and gave birth to them. When they are praising Mahavishnu, they will say that He is beyond all comprehension, even that of Shiva and other gods.

Because *equal* weight is given in tradition to all of these scriptures, it is obvious that it is not to spread any sectarian message that the scriptures talk in this way (i.e., comparing divinities). They do so only because people are many and varied, and they are to be uplifted in ways that are best adapted according to each of them. This is to cater to the pecularities of the people, thats all. The scriptures themselves do not really say that one form is better than another.

For example, suppose there are 3 children in a family, and all have some trouble studying. Suppose each one enjoys a different kind of sweet, Then the all compassionate mother might offer a reward of that particular sweet the child likes, in order that they might study. This does not mean the mother favours one sweet over another. In order to make the children study, the mother who knows about her children, offers the specific kind of sweet to that specific child. In this way, the development of each of her children is ensured. Hinduism too works in the same way.

My humble suggestion is not to discard any religion (actually, anything for that matter) without a thorough investigation. Especially in religious matters, it would be disservice to oneself if we discard or condemn without having gathered sufficient knowledge (meaning a reasonably thorough understanding and the local/global perspectives) from a credible source (meaning a teacher, who himself or herself has gathered this understanding). Of course this is not to say one should not have questions, but just that one should be open enough for understanding.

Love and Light.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harish Kumar View Post
    Not exactly as far as I have heard or come across, but definitely know that Lord Muruga is same as and representation of First most Shiva - please refer to this Bhakthi Song: URL- http://www.kaumaram.com/poems/shanmuganayagan.html written about the Six Faced God, in which you will find exactly what I have mentioned above.

thanks

Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    SS not sure if the question is still un answered.

some interesting read on murugan/kadamban - skanda/karthikeya rishi moolam....

http://karkanirka.org/2008/04/13/murugan1/

from what the authors has researched - murugan and skanda are 2 different gods--having their own identity in north and south .until the mash up arnd 4th to 9th ad happened.
    take a look the blog also has link to the extensive research

please also read - http://karkanirka.org/2008/05/11/murugan1-2/ which claims murukan was much earlier to the vedic time(ie before the indus valley c and was worshipped as a spirit.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678