Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetable curries for chapathi

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bunches of Methi leaves are available at Mustafa (but not always) and at the Indian vegetable-n-grocery stores in Buffalo road (again not always). Buffalo Rd is close to 'Little India' Station when u take the NEL(north east line of mrt). And I promise u, even if u don't get methi leaves there on ur next visit u will surely have a great time shopping for all the authentic indian vegetable at these shop in little india. And I think the veggies in these shops r fresher and cheaper than mustafa and more imp u they r not prepacked so u get to select the best. I always end up buying a lot, since it is such a refreching change from the carrots-cabbage-brocolli of our NTUC, Cold storage...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Vidhya...Will look into it... I usually go to little India only once in a month or so... Will look into it when I go there next time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Stuffed Capsicum
    Capsicum - 6
    Onion - 1 large-sized (grated)
    Garlic - 1 medium-sized pod
    Potato - 2 boiled and mashed smoothly
    Tomato - 1 large-sized (chopped)
    Sauf - 1 tbsp
    Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
    Oil - 4-5 tbsp
    Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
    Chilli powder - 11/2 tsp
    Garam Masala - 1 tsp
    Salt as per taste
    Lime juice - 1 tbsp
    Coriander Leaves - 3 tbsp
    Butter - 3 tbsp
    Cut the top part of the capsicums (where the stem is) and scrape and remove all the membrane and seeds. Soak this in salt water for 10 mins. Remove and wipe clean. Dry roast aniseed and coriander in a hot kadai and grind. Heat 2 tbsp of oil. Fry onions and garlic. once the onion browns add the tomato and fry until it turns mushy. Add all the powders to the kadai and fry for few sec. Add the potatos and stir well to mix. Switch off heat and add the lime juice and the coriander leaves. Cool the mixture. Fill the masala in the capsicum well. Pre-heat oven to 350 deg. Place the stuffed capsicum onto a cookie sheet. Place 1/2 tbsp of butter on each capsicum. Bake until well done. Serve hot with chapathi's.
    Suba's Mommy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mixed Vegetable subzi
    Carrots - 2 finely chopped
    Coconut - 1/4 cup grated
    Green Chilly - 2 finely chopped
    Cabbage - 1 cup finely chopped
    Beans - 1 cup finely chopped
    Potato - 2 finely chopped
    Beetroot - 1 finely chopped
    Cauliflower - 1 cup finey chopped
    Pea's - 1/2 cup shelled
    Corriander leaves - 2 tbsp finely chopped
    Urad Dal - 11/2 tsp.
    Channa Dal - 1 tsp.
    Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp.
    Karipattha - 1 sprig
    Oil - 11/2 tbsp.
    Salt as per taste
    Heat oil in a kadai. Add the mustard seeds. Once they stop spluttering add the dals. When the dals turn light brown, add karipatha, green chilies and the chopped onion. Fry until the onion becomes translucent. Add the vegetables and stir well once and cover the kadai for 10 mins. After 10 mins add salt to the kadai stir well once more and cover. Reduce the heat and cook until the vegetables are well done. Switch off the heat, add coriander leaves and serve as a side dish for sambar or rasam or chapathi.
    Suba's Mommy

Post Thanks / Like
    hi dev

i am 50 yrs old man 181 cms 75 kgs vegetarian with sedantry work style with hypertension(for the last 11 yrs under check with drugs).can u now suggest me a diet table? i am staying alone due to professional compulsion. learning cooking and some how managing. shall be glad if you advice simple receipes.thanks in advance.
    Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guy,

Will surely give u a diet plan soon...Please give me 10 days time coz I'm bit busy these days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guy,

Good to know that you are interested in a diet plan. Following is an analysis of your health based on the information that you provided.

Height = 181 Cms
    Weight = 75 Kgs
    Age = 51
    Lifestyle : Sedentary. I would say that your activity ratio = 1.0

Activity ratio depends on your lifestyle. Activity ratio calibration goes like this:

Sedentary = 1.0
    Low Activity exercises 3 days in a week= 1.3 (Walking / stretching for 30 mins to 1 hr )
    Moderate activity exercises 3-4 days in a week = 1.5 (Jogging/ Cycling for 30 mins to 1 hr)
    High activity exercises 4-5 days in a week = 1.7 (Running/ Aerobics / Swimming for 30 mins to 1 hr)
    Very High activity exercises 6 days in a week= 2.0 (Intense swimming / Weight lifting for 30 mins to 1 Hr)

One very good news to you - Your weight is ideal for your height. You don't have to reduce your weight. Maintain it, but make sure that you are fresh and energetic by having a good diet. Given your height and weight, you can go for 1800 Kcal diet to maintain your weight at current levels.

A good balanced diet should be having a minimum of 15% of protein, a maximum of 15% Fat and the rest Carbohydrates - usually range from 65 % - 75 %. Fibre content should range from 25 grams to 35 grams everyday and calcium should be around 500 mg.

I would assume that you take Lentils, Rice, Wheat, Whole meal bread / Cornflakes, most vegetables, milk and milk products and fruits. Based on this assumption, here is your daily diet plan:

60 Grams of Lentils would approximately provide 200 Kcal energy, 13 Grams of Protein, 1 Gm Fat, 37 Grams of Carbohydrates and 15 grams of fibre.

150 grams of Rice would approximately provide 550 Kcal energy, 11 Grams of Protein, 1 Gm Fat, 120 Grams of Carbohydrates and 2 grams of fibre.

50 grams of Wheat would approximately provide 170 Kcal energy, 7 Grams of Protein, 1 Gm Fat, 36 Grams of Carbohydrates and 6 grams of fibre.

300 grams of vegetables (Starchy, Fibrous and Leafy vegetables in equal proportions) would approximately provide 125 Kcal energy, 6 Grams of Protein, 1 Gm Fat, 30 Grams of Carbohydrates and 8 grams of fibre.

250 Grams of fruits would approximately provide 150 Kcal energy, 1.5 Grams of Protein, 1 Gm Fat, 41 Grams of Carbohydrates and 4 grams of fibre.

60 Grams of Cornflakes / Bread would provide 170 Kcal energy, 4 Grams of Protein, 2 Gm Fat, 36 Grams of Carbohydrates and 6 grams of fibre.

300 Grams of Low fat Milk / Low fat Yogurt would provide 160 Kcal energy, 8 Grams of protein, 5 Gm Fat, 13 Grams of Carbohydrates and 0 (note ZERO) grams of fibre and calcium 400 mgs.

Traces of Calcium would be found in other food products and this would ensure that you meet your Calcium requirements.

On top of this, you would be using Sugar, Salt, Spices and Oil in your food preparation.

Sugar 20 grams = 80 Kcal
    Oil 10 Grams = 90 Kcals
    Coffee / Tea, Salt and Spices 30 grams = 80 Kcals.

Drink 2 litres of plain water (no aerated drinks please) to maintain good hydration level in your body.

This would ensure that you meet all the Macro and Micro nutrient requirements. Summing up, the above diet would provide 1775 Kcal energy, 54 Grams Protein, 22 Grams fat and 353 Grams of carbohydrates, 41 grams of Fibre and 500 Mgs of calcium. This would mean getting around 13% Proteins, 11 % Fat and 80 % carbohydrates. If you notice, you are slightly short (by 2 %) on Protein requirement and slightly more ( by 5% ) on the carbohydrates. This diet though very good, still gives room for improvement.

There are a number of ways to better balance your diet, One way would be to reduce rice by 15 grams and add, either 2 Egg whites or 15 grams of De-fatted soya chunks. At this moment, i am not sure whether you would be open to have these 2 products in your diet. We can balance it even without this but, it would take a little more effort like reducing rice by 50 grams and replace with 50 grams of Wheat. You can start with this and then once you feel good with this diet, we can modify it slightly depending on your feedback.

I would suggest you to distribute your intake, through the day, like this:

550 Kcal for Breakfast, 600 Kcal for Lunch, 250 Kcal for evening and 400 Kcal for Dinner. You can prepare whatever food that you wish using these ingredients in the quantities i have suggested.

Here is a how you can plan a day's diet:

Breakfast : 60 gms corn flaks with 250 ml milk or 3 slices of bread with a few salad vegetables & 150-200 ml milk.
    Lunch : Rice,Dhal preperation(40 gms)(like sambar),vegatables(200 gms),50 gms curd
    Snack : Tea/ coffee/ fresh fruit juice
    Dinner : Chapathi/wheat dosa with dhal (20 gms) & vegetables(100 gms), fruits 250 gms.

Every Human body is unique and it's always good to consult your physician before embarking on any diet plan because personal physicians would be aware of your body better and might have some suggestions.

Wish you all the very best in your dieting.

Dev.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guy,

I've assumed tht U r an Indian & given a diet tht suits Indian style of cooking...In case u don't take rice,chapathis etc,pls let me know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dev

thanks a lot for the plan.U r right i am an indian.let me follow this for a week or so and get back to u for clarifications if any.should i take skimmed milk or just milk?

Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Better go in for Skimmed milk or lowfat milk...

As for the recipes, if U can afford to spend around 45 mins to 1hr per day for cooking,U can manage to cook for the whole day... Prepare a dhal & a vegetable subzi and U can take it for Lunch with rice & for dinner with dosas or chapathis...

U can make chapathi dough in bulk & put it in the fridge...It keeps good for around a week...So,it becomes easier to prepare dinner...
    Chopping the veg(5-7 different veg) can be done during weekends & stored in platics containers & stacked in the fridge...This too will keep good for a week except for a few vegetables...

On busy days u can make bisibele bhat as it is easier as it contains rice,dhal & lots of veg,thus making an all in 1 dish...U can use MTR Bisibele bhat masala powder...

In case U need any clarifications,feel free to write to me...Will be glad to clarify ur doubts...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast