Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwave cooking good or bad?

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Microwave cooking good or bad?

Hello all,
    I always have a doubt if microwave cooking causes any harm. though it saves a lot of oil, i've heard that it changes the actual properties of the veggies. is this true???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Minni,

I've read a lot of articles abt the ill-effects of microwave cooking... I am not sure how far it's true but I limit the use of microwave to reheating & roasting pappads...& sometimes for emergency cooking... the reason being,I find a difference in the taste of the dish when cooked in microwave... It might be partly coz I'm not very experienced at using microwave oven..,I sometimes feel that it's better to go back to the age old tradition of using 'viragu aduppu' & 'mann chatti'...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    that definitely tastes much better for sure.
    unfortunately, we have no access to these
    the problem is that i tried googling about this, but found just equal no of sites for the good and the bad effects.

by the way, i'm Mini not Minni

Post Thanks / Like
    "hat definitely tastes much better for sure.
    unfortunately, we have no access to these Sad
    the problem is that i tried googling about this, but found just equal no of sites for the good and the bad effects."

Yep, That's true... The same happenes with canola oil...U can find equal no of sites for the good and the bad effects of it... I once bought tht oil & ended up throwing the whole can without even opening it after reading articles abt it... Better to be on the safer side by minimising the use of these unconcluded miseries...

Hey,sry...that was a typo...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dev,
    So do u think canola oil bad for health?(but i read in so many articles that its very good for health....)
    if yes...
    then what oil do u use for indian cooking??

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi binal,

Here r a few links that says that canola oil is hazardous...
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blcanola.htm
    http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/canola.htm
    http://www.mercola.com/2000/jan/16/d...canola_oil.htm

There r equal number of sites that say canola oil is not harmful... I neither say that canola oil is good nor bad... I've decided not to use it until these researchers come to a conclusion as to the use of canola oil for cooking... While there r lots of other safe to use oils like olive oil,veg oil etc,Y take the risk of using something that is this debated???!!!...

You can read thru all these sites & decide for yourself if you want to use it for your cooking or not...

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev,

that was really scary. i am using it for years. so hish oil is good for everyday cooking. veg oil?

Deepali

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all
    I have been using corn oil and it's good.Found it satisfactory..

Regards
    Sowmya

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi deepali,

I use many diff oils for cooking...I use olive oil,veg oil,corn oil,sunflwer oul, gingelly oil,coconut oil & ghee... But the only thing is I limit the use of oil to strictly 3 tsp=1 tbsp=15ml per day per person... So I buy the smallest bottle available in the mkt coz a ltr of oil will last for months(around 3-4 months)... For south Indian cooking,I mostly use gingelly oil & very rarely coconut oil & ghee...For noth Indian cooking I use any of those listed above except for gingelly & coconut oil...I always have gigelly oil,coconut oil,ghee & any 1 of the veg,corn,sunflower oil in the kitchen...But ghee & coconut oil is to be used as minimal as possible... U can find more info abt oil in the Healthy Lifestyle thread...

Hope it helps... But, if U r looking for info abt which oil is good for deep fried indian food stuffs,I'm not the right person to answer...

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev,

thanx for the reply. but what is gingelly oil. where can i find it? can i get in american shops too?

Deepali

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast