Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetable curries for chapathi

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Vegetable curries for chapathi

It would be great if someone can post vegetable gravies that can be used as sidedish for chapathis... I saw many recipes but most of it uses either coconut or cream to make the curry...Since I'm going on a diet,I need recipes that do not use coconut or cream...& it would be great if anyone can tell a good substitute for cocnut & cream & tips for thichkening gravies...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dev,

Have you made moong dal with vegetables like onion, tomato, capsicum, carrot, beans etc. ? This is a standard one in all Indian homes, guess!

And, while you are making gravies with onion and tomato, can substitute with veg., like okra, greens, egg plant if u dont want any grains. Can add either our regular milk or curd for taste which is harmless.

I even saw in TV, while making channa masala, they grind the quarter portion of the channa to make the gravy thicker or can add wheat flour for the same purpose.

What I do is while making gravies with veg., like zuchini, bottle gourd, will add more dal like channa dal and dont have to add coconut(rice flour to make the kootu thick, if needed) at all! I believe that there is nothing wrong in adding green peas or channa or whole moong or kaaramani with these veg., in lesser qty. which will also make the gravy thicker.

And for gravies with cream, I always use our regular milk which gives you some flavor than the plain one. Try and let me know.

Hoping that more people will participate in this discussion.

Bye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello R,

Thanks a lot for those tips...I do make moong dal & veg curry...& for kurma,i add soya chunks instead of coconut... Am planning to roast yellow moong dhal & grind it to a powder,so tht I can use it to thicken gravies...Will also try your tips abt substitute for cream & adding ground channa Dhal for making channa masala...Am sure dhals r better than coconut & cream...

Thanks again...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dev,

Adding moong dal-sounds a good idea. But, can u suggest me which one tastes better-adding pottukadalai powder or moong flour ? Any reason for adding moong flour?

Bye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello R,

I'm yet to try it...so will try & let you know the difference in taste...

Healthwise, I'm not very sure if there is any difference between pottukadalai powder & moong flour...Anyways,my husband is my diet guru... so will chk with him & let u know in a couple of days...

we r now going on a balanced diet where by i can take only a small quantity of dhal coz that itself will satisfy my protein requirement...though protein is good,if U consume too much protein consistently it can be hazardous... So now I'll 've to find some other substitute for thickening gravies other than these dhal powders else will have to reduce the dhal i normally consume... Any ideas r welcome... & any doubts abt diet too is welcomed...

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

it would be very helpful if you could post a balanced diet for the whole day .what to take what not to take.

pls also post one r two gravy receipes since i am new to cooking.
    thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Guy,

Balanced diet depends on a number of factors like one's weight,activity level,age etc... I can give u a diet plan provided u give me some details like ur age,height,weight,gender&activity level...I would also like to know if u r a vegetarian or non-vegetarian... & to be on the safer side,I can plan the diet only for normal people without complications like heart problems,thyroid diseases,kidney,liver diseases ,BP,sugar etc etc... In case U have any such complications better let me know abt it & what the diet the doctor has advised...

Here r a few tips for U...
    1. A normal,healthy person can take upto a max of 3 teaspoons (ie 15ml or 1 table spoon)of oil per day...This includes all forms of direct fat be it vegetable fat or animal fat like ghee...
    2.Use lowfat or fatfree milk instead of full cream milk.Use the same for making curds.
    3.Eat atleast 2 serving of veg & 1 serving(if possible 2) of fruits.
    4.Keep salt to the minimum possible.
    5.Avoid all tasty but junk food.This includes all fried food.
    6.Most instant food & ready to eat food contain a high amount of sodium.So try to avaoid it.
    7.A must avoid in Indian cooking is coconut & cream.U can have these once in a month or so .
    8. Sugar is high in calories.so take only the minimum possible.
    9.All kinds of nuts like groundnuts,cashewnuts etc etc can be avoided as they contain a huge amt of fat.
    10.Egg yolk is to be avoided as it is full of cholesterol.
    11.Chicken & fish cooked without (or using 1 tsp) of oil is the best form of protein for nonvegetarians.
    12.All red meat r rich in fat.So avoid it.
    13. Any meat should be cleaned off the skin as it contains most of the fat.
    14. Low fat,high protein diet + exercise is the best way to reduce weight.
    15. whatever the diet be,every adult should consume atleast 1200 calories .
    16.Every person should have a balanced diet consisting of carbohydrates,fat,protein,calcium & fbre.
    17.Excess carbohydrate that is not spent out gets converted into fat.So take only as much carb as requiired for ur age,weight & activity level
    18.Never skip breakfast...Follow the old saying "eat breakfast like a king,lunch like a commoner & dinner like a poor guy" .
    19.Have dinner atleast 2-3 hrs before u go to bed.
    20. Exercise atleast 5 times a day.1/2 hrs of brisk walking will do.

PPl may argue that in olden days our ancestors had lots of ghee,nuts etc etc but still were healthy.My reply to that would be 'if u r ready to do as much physical work as they were doing,go ahead with their diet'... The above said are a few common tips which many would've known already.... If u want to reduce or maintain

reg the recipes,would U like to have recipes using veg or dhals?....tell me any specifications that U have.... I too am not an expert in cook but I'll let U know whatever I know...

Hope this will help U...Any queries,pls post it....I'll be glad to tell U whatever I know...

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    U can saute the onion,ginger,garlic and grind then add to the gravy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Apps,

Thanks for the tip...I do saute onion,gin,gar & tomatoes & add to the curry sometimes. Can u suggest any vegetable except potatoes that can be mashed(ground) and added to the curry?...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guy,

Scared at the big list,huh???!!!... was waiting for u togimme the details sotht i can plan a day's req for U...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast