• The Purple Rose of Cairo

0 0%
  • Other

3 37.50%
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody Allen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    I found this scene very grating. Although I sort of get what he has to say about shrinks.

But it got me thinking. Around this time, he had to go through domestic-turmoil indicted slander, every tabloid press made him out to be a vile, disgusting person. That Woody pulled his hand out of his ___ & stretched himself..

a) R*ted expletives

b) Black people in prominent roles (but then casting the black woman as sexual worker wouldn't get Spike Lee excited.)
    Watched the scene again now.
    ennavO pOnga.

A psychoanalyst saying: this is bullshit, "no you can't explain", "don't you try to play, blame the victim",

"Okay, if you're telling me you're settling I accept that"

I mean he is totally logical - I am merely explaining to you why my choice of necessity is confined to your practice
    The frustration of not being able to hurt him, make him repent - simply because he is on a different plane - who can make up such kind of stuff I say!

The very idea of an analyst - how can anyone advise anyone. What does anyone know?
    The very idea of an artist - how can anyone writer about life and people . What does anyone know?
    How is anyone qualified to advise? How is anyone qualified to create art?

What is it about art and relationships? That you bare your deepest to someone.
    Remember Manhattan - his problems with Streep's book is she is going to reveal the quirks of their relationship.
    Speaking about one's deepest problems to a stranger is what psychoanalysis is.

Here he sleeps with her patient. In ESILY his daughter listens and feeds him information about Julia Roberts. It's all the same Mr.Sivam.

Woody
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean the gay abandon with which he throws in an editing blooper in the middle of that scene
    ennangadA film, medium, making - I thumb my nose at you 'nRa maadhiri

Post Thanks / Like
    The opening scene. The brilliant brilliant Judy Davis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eOr08Cefpc4

Outrageously funny and at the same time very ....pertinent 'ngraar saar.

Everyone' misery - you even caused the misery - mix your f'ing alchemy and turn it into gold

Artist 'Oda predicament exaggerated for effect.

I mean he walks away from her when she threatens suicide saying, "it's not in you. Jane is the dramatic one. The solo violinist".
    Oru artistic typification, reduction influencing how one views human-beings.

Post Thanks / Like
    So whose life are you exploiting today?
    You'll be very happy to (know).. <cut away by an editing jump>

en idhayaththil...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R View Post
    Watched the scene again now.
    ennavO pOnga.

A psychoanalyst saying: this is bullshit, "no you can't explain", "don't you try to play, blame the victim",

"Okay, if you're telling me you're settling I accept that"

I mean he is totally logical - I am merely explaining to you why my choice of necessity is confined to your practice
    The frustration of not being able to hurt him, make him repent - simply because he is on a different plane - who can make up such kind of stuff I say!

The very idea of an analyst - how can anyone advise anyone. What does anyone know?
    The very idea of an artist - how can anyone writer about life and people . What does anyone know?
    How is anyone qualified to advise? How is anyone qualified to create art?

What is it about art and relationships? That you bare your deepest to someone.
    Remember Manhattan - his problems with Streep's book is she is going to reveal the quirks of their relationship.
    Speaking about one's deepest problems to a stranger is what psychoanalysis is.

Here he sleeps with her patient. In ESILY his daughter listens and feeds him information about Julia Roberts. It's all the same Mr.Sivam.

Woody
    Of course, I got the very idea of an analyst saying that stuff is meta- as I said in that post. But it didn't come off as funny (even when you put emoticons next to it), and it IS condescending to write characters like that analyst. I don't mind the condescension if it's meta- or funny. It didn't come off as funny, but it's meta-. I thought I was clear in that post. The casting, acting, dialogue delivery, the volume levels, the shot making, editing, etc didn't really sit well. And the sitcom parlor trick. OF course the whole film is littered with condescension of casting, continuity, editing, filmmaking & shot locations, I refuse to believe it's all too intelligent or meta- but it came off well.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    The opening scene. The brilliant brilliant Judy Davis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eOr08Cefpc4
    This kind of expletive-heavy scene must only be a consequence of divorce.

This scene works precisely because of Judy Davis. Woody is rather weak, but his screen history sort of registers him funny. That we forgive his usual ticks like 'what are you telling me', 'oh give me a break'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho, have you seen 'Don't Drink the Water' ?
    It is like his early films, like a film version of the kind of prose he writes in the NewYorker.
    Absurdity, slapstick, one-liners - you name it.

Woody and family are stuck in the US embassy in a communist country, where they seek refuge after they are suspected to be spies by the local police.
    Woody is a Newark caterer who hates the European cuisine of the chef and Arab emir entourage who is camping at the embassy. There is a priest who has been in asylum in the embassy for 6 years (who loves to show magic tricks but completely sucks). Embassy headed by a bungling Michael J Fox.

The ending is just outrageous.

Woody is given a gun and his personality changes. He gets all serious, full of self-confidence and practices some trigger-happy moves.
    The under secretary is hit on the head by a brick and starts thinking his both the Wright brothers. Don't even ask

He picks up a bomb
    That's one of the few redeeming moments. But generally not one of his best, it's a nice little TV movie to collect his paycheck.

I don't think it's decided that his 'early funny ones' outscore his 'serious' work. But I sort of get Groucho's general problem with Woody's later work.

Post Thanks / Like
    But it didn't come off as funny (even when you put emoticons next to it),
    Oho
    I find it funny every time.
    it IS condescending to write characters like that analyst. I don't mind the condescension if it's meta- or funny. It didn't come off as funny, but it's meta-. I thought I was clear in that post.
    Clear only. But I was emphasizing it again as it was one of the reasons I found the humour working even on repeat viewing.
    btw you mean condescending to analysts, right?

The casting, acting, dialogue delivery, the volume levels, the shot making, editing, etc didn't really sit well.
    Hmm... all if it worked for me. Particularly the shot making.

it's a nice little TV movie to collect his paycheck.
    Agree. A fun, one time watch. I found myself in splits.
    It took some time to take off. But I don't think it is a movie which needed redeeming moments.

"That's a stove? I've been mailing letters in it all week"
    Woody attacking the chef
    The milk pouring through the sleeve of the priest
    The priest walking into the room unable to get out of the staitjacket at the exact moment when Woody is giving a piece of his mind to the emir
    The emir being pushed down the stairs - its as predictable a slapstick moment as it gets with absolutely nothing more to it, but is still funny
    Woody and his wife (the girl who comes in Radio days) goofing up the names - the least of the things they could have handled, in their 'assumed personality'
    "..and I am his lovely wife"

Gagfest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Celebrity script not available online? Not there on Script-o-rama.
    It is a lazy film but I quite liked it. Was looking for the midnight lines that Ken Branagh tells Winona Ryder. I remember finding them quite romantic. Can't find the lines.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, I didn't see your query, P_R. Of course, I love it. As you guys indicate, it was indeed his earlier work (was a feature movie first but without Woody). "Recent" stuff like this, Deconstructing Harry and even Small Time Crook makes me miss his earlier work.

I've watched Celebrity on big screen. It was screened in a special theatre in Singapore that screens "Restricted (Artistic)" movies, meaning they allow TA stuff there. It was there I realise how awesome Leo is when he is playing himself. He has, ever since. Branagh is probably the best Woody imitator if you called that imitating rather than acting. Good stuff, but one time vonly.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast