• The Purple Rose of Cairo

0 0%
  • Other

3 37.50%
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody Allen

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I found this scene very grating" - Why?

Shrinks: What's with the west and "analysts"? Or is it just Woody? Or just the upper class?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik) View Post
    "I found this scene very grating" - Why?

Shrinks: What's with the west and "analysts"? Or is it just Woody? Or just the upper class?
    So loud & uninteresting altercation, devoid of humor. A bit much of a parlor trick (keeping the patient waiting), that even the worst sitcoms on TV resort to. Adding a laughter track(although I really hate) might have enhanced the scene.

Also the sheer irony of casting, the lady is far more attractive on a relative scale to WA, that one contemplates the possibility of him being able to get her patients* to bed. And having WA to treat in utmost condescending way, again. Old jokes, atheism, morality, blah blah being infused into this. You go 'not again'. You don't usually go 'not again' because he infuses them in far more arresting sentence/conversations than in the scene here. Maybe it's also the sheer loudness of the scene that took away the effect.

Just the upper class. But then again even dentists appear like Shrinks in WA's films.

* - now supposing for the fact that the patient is a bipolar or manic depressed (information of specific kind), old or young, attractive or not attractive,, that'd make for a better effect. It'd be much more effective if that information were provided to us. But for a film like DH, with a fabric that's constantly between the lines of reality-fiction-dream, we'd have to fill, I suppose. So it does work for narrative purpose, but the scene itself was grating & the jokes weren't evocative. Maybe it's WA being provocative, it really felt like it was made my a man who pulled his finger out of his arse & stuck the fat middle one right back at the world. Letting others into the whole ' deconstruction' of Woody, uh sorry, harry.
    Last edited by kid-glove; 28th February 2012 at 12:16 PM.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only time Woody was present at the oscars. Hilarious.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nerd for the video. Yes, hilarious. Only through Woody Allen, I started loving New York. Great city and great people!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V_S View Post
    Thanks Nerd for the video. Yes, hilarious. Only through Woody Allen, I started loving New York. Great city and great people!
    Robert De Niro, Scorsese, Al Pacino, Denzel Washington ...the list grows!
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely! Always, any film set in NY city interests me a lot, just because the first film I enjoyed thoroughly watching after I landed in CT, was Annie Hall. That was through my roomie who was elder to me and had a lot of passion towards 70's NY films like Annie Hall, Manhattan, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and so on. Through Woody and other torch bearers, I started to know about NY. Every week he used to introduce me films like this (from library) and every 15 days, I never missed going to NY (through that memorable train ride). It continued atleast for six months till my family arrived. The affection towards NY and its people is beyond any comparison. The road side shops and restaurants, watching manhattan from other side of the river, just felt I was at home in Mumbai. All because of these great visionaries!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    crimes and misdemeanors

ennayya.... aesthetic'nu chonninga... atheistic'a poyidichu....
    pongayya... ungala ellaam nambi oru padam kooda paakka mudiyaadhu...
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik) View Post
    Blade/can't get through - Alice, Everyone Says I Love You, Stardust Memories (pala thadava try panni full-a paakka pidikkala)
    Alice - I watch it every time it is on MGM.
    The scene where he undresses her when she is talking about her kids' reaction to mother Teresa, the chinese doctor, the ending with the v-o gossips and the easy dips into surrealism - invisibility, Alec Baldwin, confessional in front of her house, the sister (when I saw so you wardrobe, that was too much for me - said with so much earnestness that you totally totally see her point. vERa eppadi solla mudiyin?!). Exland.

I admit ESILY has some slow parts - but overall it is quite impressive. The very relationship of Woody's character to Mia Farrow and Alan Alda - the situation itself is funny. And many like that. The dance, musical, Parisian ending - lightA emotionalAvE irukkum.

Stardust Memories - enna viLayAdreenga. One of his best.

Quote Originally Posted by k_g
    I found this scene very grating.
    Grating-A. Great-nu vENaa sollalaam.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenan
    What mankind does not need is Mariel Hemingway leaving a message on Woody's answering machine telling him that Grand Illusion is being shown on TV that evening.
    What mankind does not need are lines like: "I accept your condemnation," and "Did you read my novel?"
    idhukku mEla indha aaLai padikkiRadhE waste.
    He does not get Woody. He does not get the turmoils of an approbation seeking, solipsistic, superiority-complex infused, insecure man with epicurean ambitions- even if only for differentiation and muddled without directions, unweighed by scruples.

Have I spoken too much

B(K), have you seen the analyst in 'Anything Else'. He's just impossibly funny.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho, have you seen 'Don't Drink the Water' ?
    It is like his early films, like a film version of the kind of prose he writes in the NewYorker.
    Absurdity, slapstick, one-liners - you name it.

Woody and family are stuck in the US embassy in a communist country, where they seek refuge after they are suspected to be spies by the local police.
    Woody is a Newark caterer who hates the European cuisine of the chef and Arab emir entourage who is camping at the embassy. There is a priest who has been in asylum in the embassy for 6 years (who loves to show magic tricks but completely sucks). Embassy headed by a bungling Michael J Fox.

The ending is just outrageous.

Woody is given a gun and his personality changes. He gets all serious, full of self-confidence and practices some trigger-happy moves.
    The under secretary is hit on the head by a brick and starts thinking his both the Wright brothers. Don't even ask

He picks up a bomb

Post Thanks / Like
    softie, crimes paththi unga karuththukaLai sollavum.

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast