• Other

3 37.50%
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody Allen

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quotes I much cherished.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Our marriage hasn't been a garden of roses. Botanically speaking, you're more of a Venus flytrap.
    I’m sure you're all obsessed with any number of sad little hopes and dreams. Predictably unsatisfying love lives. Failed business ventures.
    "Oh, if only I'd bought that stock!", "If only I had purchased that house years ago!", "If only I had made a move on that woman."

If this, if that. You know what? Give me a break with your "could haves" and "should haves." Like my mother used to say, "lf my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car."
    I was considered for a Nobel Prize in physics. I didn't get it. But, you know, it's all politics, just like every other phony honor.
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Just watched Animal Crackers recently. I wonder who else saw Anything Else. QT recommended it? Whoa!
    Anything Else (spanish audio with English subtitles ) - pudhusa/perusa edhuvum illa.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    Just watched Animal Crackers recently. I wonder who else saw Anything Else. QT recommended it? Whoa!
    Anything Else (spanish audio with English subtitles ) - pudhusa/perusa edhuvum illa.
    My sentiments exactly, so I wonder why QT went for it.

On the other hand, I could see why he went for "Chasing Amy". That's a pretty good movie. One of the strangest love triangle I've seen. While doing that, It's also palpable to senses, one could relate to the characters. Kevin Smith writes interesting dialogue. And hold on a minute, that's perhaps Ben Affleck's best performance. No wonder Qt wanted to cast him once. Think he might still, to surprise us all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever Works

Absolutely nothing new
    In facts puts in words subtleties of older films
    But but but I thoroughly enjoyed it
    I guess I like pretty much nearly everything this guy writes on these subjects
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Interiors

That there was a decided absence of humour and adoption of Bergman's style meant I was never going to take the effort of watching it. Was surfing channels today and caught it on MGM.

It was not as bad as I expected. I was expecting a thorough borefest.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    Me too...not bad eh. Been avoiding it. What are there to look for? I know, the writing eh?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too...not bad eh. Been avoiding it. What are there to look for? I know, the writing eh?
    Yeah, three daughters. Father moves away from an artistic but imbalanced mother and moves to a 'simpler' woman. The daughters, their husbands, anguishes, concerns, their relationships and despair. In terms of content very Woody Allen, but quite daring to go without his brand of humour.

That I quite liked got me thinking if I was more patient and willing to 'absorb' because it was Woody. I mean 'its got its fifteen seconds of silent descent down the stairs' scenes which I would have railed against had it been anyone else's film. If I persisted on that line of that it looked like I may be tempted to revisit Cries and Whispers. I google for some Gounder videos and restored myself.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I google for some Gounder videos and restored myself.
    Good maahn.

I am guilty of being Woody's fan the same way I am of Eastwood's. I want them, and their brand of content in those films. You'll never get it in non-Eastwood starring Eastwood films. But you do in the former's film, our man lurking within the Branaghs, the Cusacks, the Keaton/Farrows and sometimes even more than one characters per film. But intha padam, poster paarkum-bothe padu-pretentiousnous velipatturuchi. That's why...maybe when I am much older and am with more patience, time and have complete control over the remote err..control, I'll revisit it.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean 'its got its fifteen seconds of silent descent down the stairs' scenes

I recollect. Is the one that precedes or follows the scene with eldest sister (played by Keaton) unable to write and gets another cold realization. She would be seeing out the window (which seemed to be a deep metaphor almost like "Blindness" in Crimes & Misdemeanors) at trees with no leaves. The idea of placing the narrative from winter to summer coincides with passing on from one (distant and cold) mother to another (warmly and colorful). That's just one apart from the opening of the film. It's paced with verbal exchanges and introspection through other devices (voice-over, to analyst, diary). As you said, Woody Allen in content. But then that's pretty much Bergman style. Bergman indulges in deeper verbolatry than predominant visual narrative like Antonioni, for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am guilty of being Woody's fan the same way I am of Eastwood's. I want them, and their brand of content in those films.
    Oh man, once again, frighteningly close to my taste.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast