0 0%
  • Other

3 37.50%
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody Allen

Senior Member Diamond Hubber directhit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Scarlet a yen pa ippadi attack panreenga?
    Naan "aadharavu" kudukkaren ammanikku!
    aadharavu ellaam naanga kuduthuttom neenga orama kooda nillunga :P
    Till the full stop doesn't come, the sentence is not complete - MSD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Scarlet a yen pa ippadi attack panreenga?
    Naan "aadharavu" kudukkaren ammanikku!
    illa..'very talented' actresses and clubbing her with Farrow and Keaton - a bit much.

Woody used to use likes of Louise Lasser in bit roles. Scarlett kaal doosukku samaanam..
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove

illa..'very talented' actresses and clubbing her with Farrow and Keaton - a bit much.
    Actually i hate Mia Farrow - nalla nadippaanga aana somehow the proverbial "oru inampuriyadha idhu".. that voice
    Only Rene Zellweger is more loathsome i think....

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree about Rene Zellweger. But I like Mia Farrow's voice.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recently, there was a news in The Hindu which said that Woody Allen is willing to work with Anupam Kher !! Kher was invited by Cambridge University to give a lecture as part of Cinema Festival.
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Post Thanks / Like
    "Whatever works" works with some qualifications. That is to say, there is typical Woody Allen humor. "Highbrow condescending cretins" at its best Although at places, it's brashly impudent. Partly due to Larry David's monotonously rendered performance as Boris Yellnikoff. If you haven't guessed it, he is playing a Woody-Allen-prototype. In that, he has no neurotic fits (and even if it exists, it's not apparent), but we do see more of a physicist type (by that, it's natural to be impatient with simpletons). Woody Allen's intention is to create a reclusive bad tempered misanthropic hypochondriac with obsession for death and morbidness in life. I paraphrase Boris Yellnikoff's self-estimation. It's no surprise to cast a younger(relative to Woody of course) actor who is able to deliver the lines with a straight face, and in a deadpan sitcom-ish way, that it is more of a savoir-faires (watch Boris address "us" like a PhD physicist than recite/narrate in ways of Alvy Singer from Annie hall). He also admits so himself, "I’m not a likeable guy. Charm has never been a priority with me." But make no mistake, this is no curmudgeon. But a 60 year old in full equanimity, able to see the whole picture, so to speak.

It's ironic that we also laugh at things we'd cry about. It's not so strange an inclination to take up morbidness with humor. This has become woefully apparent for yours truly. Perhaps I am much pampered by Woody's style over the years. But sadly it's misleading people into deriving "feel-good"-ness. No wonder Woody writes a monologue for Boris addressing it to the audience, "if you’re one of those idiots who needs to feel good, go get yourself a foot massage". LOL. Woody's works, at least to me, have been void, and indifferent as universe itself. He never sets out to make a life-affirming hymn, but it sustains interest in showing its characters sustaining their own lives. Life is more of a moot point, and the protagonist (often played in Woody prototype) is shown to be obsessed by death that it makes life defeatist, and something of a "ritual for death". but through course of the film, there is a consensus reached. To make life interesting with our quirks, inclinations, art, Love, etc. Essentially bohemian, confined to Manhattan, his outlook comes to fore. Which leaves room for criticism by critics such as Rosenbaum.

Rejection of religious inclinations also sticks its head. Picture this, a deeply religious couple get separated. Both have been suppressed to lead a lie, and by their separation, conquer better understanding of themselves. One finds it in Menage a trois, and the other realizes his suppressed homosexuality. And both have quenched their religious conformism, and found something "better" to hold onto. Woody is careful to point out. Everything hits at this point (not so subtly) - the absurdity of existence, the "blind chance", search for love, and well, whatever works! "Search in Life is something to give the illusion of meaning to quell the panic" says Boris, in verbatim.

As a film, it works in a qualified way as I first began this post.I'd suggest you to watch at ease. It's not something new. Yet, "Sometimes a cliche is finally the best way to make one's point." retorts Boris. And with laughs.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Movie never made it here, don't think it would. Interesting to know how David's Woody Allen type works.

One of the worst, in my opinion, was Kenneth Branagh in Celebrity. The man just mimics Allen. How's that for laziness?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    One of the worst, in my opinion, was Kenneth Branagh in Celebrity. The man just mimics Allen. How's that for laziness?
    The impersonation got approved by the man himself.

The "worst" in my opinion, Jason Biggs in "Anything Else" was nailed-on. Now that QT recommended it, there's an urge to watch it again.

Larry David works for aforesaid reasons. Given a thought or two, I'm not sure of one thing I had said. He's perhaps curmudgeonly at occasions, but by sapience and not age. And the ability to see the whole picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woody Allen employs a homage to Marx, with in opening title. Marx-ian detachment of soft sentiments, decadency of artistic taste, & contempt for counter-culture omnipresent in Allen-esque universe.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched Animal Crackers recently. I wonder who else saw Anything Else. QT recommended it? Whoa!
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast