0 0%
  • The Purple Rose of Cairo

0 0%
  • Other

3 37.50%
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody Allen

Post Thanks / Like
    The girl who played the middle sister - Joey- was very good. But then acting is invariably good in Allen films. Diane Keaton is arguably an all-time great.

The overlapping lines/arguments between the father and the first two daughters about his new girlfriend. Good scene and great acting. Multiple emotions, subtle and yet brought out with clarity. Diane Keaton consoling her sister, restraining her sister, clawing at her sister all at the same time. Whoa !

Can't imagine how something like that can be conceived of and written in the first place. Such a 'you've got to be there' moment. After that imagine the acting and execution of the whole scene. Woody
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the characters got a fair due. None of them seem alien or lazy sketches. Great writing.

Uploaded what .
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    I am guilty of being Woody's fan the same way I am of Eastwood's. I want them, and their brand of content in those films.
    Oh man, once again, frighteningly close to my taste.
    It's all about what we liked about them in the first place, I suppose. In Eastwood's case, he does not write those films, so we can't find "him" in the films he does not star.

By the way, for fans of White Hunter Black Heart, I found this http://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/f...31&orden=75399
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Sid_316's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved Annie hall,Crimes and Misdemeanors,Vicky Christina Barcelona... Liked match point,whatever works. Woody allen

Post Thanks / Like
    Yet to see the video thilak (blocked at work). I read he was very worried about Interiors.

There were so many places where I saw the situations could have been clowned about in a very Woody way. Like couples operating on different planes.

There's a little bit of that in the dinner where Pearl is introduced to the family. She was like a breeze of fresh air - even to me the viewer

But apart from that there were so many moments that could have easily lent themselves to Woodyish humour. Diane Keaton's husband talking about 'being afraid of his anger' because he cruelly trashed his friend's book - which he acknowledges was bad, reassuring Diane Keaton who gets the sudden fear because of being hyper-aware of her self. Joey having all the "despair and angst of an artist but none of the talent". I was ready to laugh in all these places but Woody wrote it 'straight as life' (to use Alan Alda's expression from C & M).

Imagine the amount of self-restraint Woody should have exercised

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    Yet to see the video thilak (blocked at work). I read he was very worried about Interiors.

There were so many places where I saw the situations could have been clowned about in a very Woody way. Like couples operating on different planes.

There's a little bit of that in the dinner where Pearl is introduced to the family. She was like a breeze of fresh air - even to me the viewer

But apart from that there were so many moments that could have easily lent themselves to Woodyish humour. Diane Keaton's husband talking about 'being afraid of his anger' because he cruelly trashed his friend's book - which he acknowledges was bad, reassuring Diane Keaton who gets the sudden fear because of being hyper-aware of her self. Joey having all the "despair and angst of an artist but none of the talent". I was ready to laugh in all these places but Woody wrote it 'straight as life' (to use Alan Alda's expression from C & M).

Imagine the amount of self-restraint Woody should have exercised
    Yeah, It's like Woody had passed it through high-pass filter to suck out humour. Such restraint.

In the video, Woody explains his intentions in the characters and the story. Pretty useful. As in to avoid intentional fallacy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ! appo innikkE paathura vENdiyadhu dhaan.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Don't Drink the Water".

Woody's original play adapted as a movie-made-for-tv.

I don't think I could reject any of this man's work. The lines, situations, themes et all appeal . Even if he wrote something in his sleep, It wouldn't be an utter farce. There would be something in it that works at some level and/or engage.

Now, I have watched all Woody Allen films (incl. Oedipus Wrecks in NY stories & short film for NY 9/11) except one - "Men of Crisis: The Harvey Wallinger Story" which I think is impossible to get hold of.

to Woody for saving from mundanity of existence. Will rewatch his stuff again & again till I die.

Can't wait for his next film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    All the characters got a fair due. None of them seem alien or lazy sketches. Great writing.

Uploaded what .
    Thank You. Perfect. Just perfect.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw " Hollywood Ending " in Sony Pix.

I know big daddies are watching & that I'm just a kid to say anything at all either about Woody or his films. But, all I can say is that, I immensely enjoyed the film.

Nearly about 18 years ago, I watched " Annie Hall " in TV and much later, a few scenes from " Manhattan " . But, I used to read a lot and the hub also served as a great source of information for me to know about this man.

Now, from a kid's point of view :

He meets his young abandoned son, who is actually sort of a punk, after a long time ( I noticed a picture of Lord Ganesh stuck on the door ! ). He used to complain about his son for wearing ear-ring, nose ring, nipple ring - and then eating a live rat in a concert. Later, when he calls his son by his name, the son replies that he has changed his name to Scumbag X. The father is shocked & surprised and then in a very low tone, says as a matter of fact, I love you Scumbag. I just burst out laughing. There are many scenes like this one.

The concept itself was funny, I mean, not a person suddenly becoming psychosomatically blind, but that man directing an entire feature film !! But then, why not , when it leads to many interesting & funny moments.

As I said, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Waiting to watch his master-pieces.
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast